Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of old git gamers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ah.... ya should of left the poll so we could see who picked which option.

Can't believe there aren't more people in here under 20...

myself, i'm the big two five

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i will be 35 at the end of April :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That poll is racist against 20 year olds like myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

My 6 Year old Daughter beats me nearly everytime at Wii Bowling. Her Ma says its unfair then when i challenge and beat her at Street Figther 2.

Just as a point of interest does anybody else here play there fave retro games using Rom's ?

Personally i use my PSP to play old SNES and Megadrive games right now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fergob

37 years old, started on 48K Spectrum, then Commodore 64 ( still have 'em both in the shed )

Married with two kids , so only selectively game these days, every monday night mates call up , one p.c. has game we're currently getting through ( currently crysis ) other p.c. has mame emulator, so Time Pilot is currently getting the biggest workout !

Also work in for Logitech, so that keeps the Gaming Buzz alive in the job too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I'm 38 and my computing started with a ZX81 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Never said earlier 26! Just.
    Oh and do i still play old games oh yeah, i got a cd full of roms from "the genisis!" and snes, there fantastic. I had to get the sonic collection for the PS2, and i keep been tempted by the collections you see coming out every now and again. I know i know handing over my hard earned cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My reasons for posting this was to see if there where enough gamers to form an old gits gaming group, especially to play the older multiplayer games.

What do you define as old? I'll be 24 in July. Can I has membership? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

o1s1n wrote: »
    What do you define as old? I'll be 24 in July. Can I has membership? :)

Yeah, I was curious about this too. What's old?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

SDooM wrote: »
    28 here, gaming started with the c64.

LOAD, DAMMIT

Ready, Run, Ready?
    hoppo254 wrote: »
    Just as a point of interest does anybody else here play there fave retro games using Rom's ?

You might try the Arcade & Retro forum under the Games menu; just don't ask about ROMs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fergob

Borderfox :I'm 38 and my computing started with a ZX81

God, my mate had that , when i had the spectrum 48K...it sucked so much ass ! though Death Chase was a pretty cool game on it....you did have Death chase didn't you ?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

35, or as I prefer it I just celebrated the 16th anniversary of my 19th birthday.

PS.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just turned 25 recently. It scares me that when I meet some of the boards regular they always say that they expected a 12 year old boy with a mario t-shirt and not a fine hunky specimen of a man :P

Shouldn't this be under Personals and Dating? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Personally I feel that old in gaming is 30+.

Now don't all rush to shout at me at once. If you are into multiplayer online gaming then there comes a stage where you just cannot keep up with the younger players. If you put enough time into the game then you can have some good rounds, but someone younger can pwn your ass simply coz they have that minutely faster reaction time.

I was thinking that if any of the 30+ players, note that I have corrected "guys" this time Silverfish, my apologies for that earlier, are up for forming a gaming group where everyone might be of a more equal skill then I'm all up for forming it. It wont be a clan as such or anything like that, just a bunch of players getting together for some level pegging fragging.

Games like Q3, ET, BF1942 etc might be par for the course. What do peeps think?

I'd agree with you to be honest. Having watched some of the younger kids playing, it looks like their fingers have no bones in them or something. I think on the plus side of 25, your reflexes just slow down.

Was only joking on the guys thing, its not a problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This April will be my first ever GTA game that i didnt need my Mum to buy for me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Silverfish wrote: »
    Yeah, I was curious about this too. What's old?

yeah , ye had to push it and ask that question didn't ye .

ps : what do you think of my Reclusa ? you can see the difference in my typing ?

jonski wrote: »
    yeah , ye had to push it and ask that question didn't ye .

ps : what do you think of my Reclusa ? you can see the difference in my typing ?

Beautiful, Jonski, just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Silverfish wrote: »
    Beautiful, Jonski, just beautiful.

enough about me , whattya think of the KB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Peh, Saitek FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

26 here
    I wouldnt see age holding back a gamer from here on in,granted that you dont see to many gamers 40+ at the moment, but thats probably just down to theyre generation not being around at the birth of gaming and would rather just went down to the local hall for a showaddywaddy or Joe Dolan gig back then.
    I'd like & hope to see myself still playing away when im getting on a bit in the future,granted i'd be naturally a bit slower than a youngin through age & decades of buckfast abuse,but as long as im enjoying its all that would matter.
    Probably also like the decay of your fashion sence as you get older you'd start to go a bit quieter and duller in your flavour of games and your manner of playing them ie ..i couldnt see myself being 45+ playing action packed shoot-em ups while throwing verbal abuse at yanks down the mic (could you get too old to abuse yanks ?),but then again its all up to how you get your kicks in life !.
    All 'n all your as young as you feel and should never be too old for anything in life :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm 27 years young - playing since my teens (before thatif you count the days playing the Spectrum as a wee fella in short pants). I consider myself part of the golden generation, back before (console) games figured it had to dumb everything down for the Halo playing masses (Bioshock, I'm looking at you)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Gaming, btw also consisted of Zork ,also a new Infocom adventure was keenly looked forward to

and I still play Angband on the PC and it's still addictive

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I miss the days when companies could have format wars with themselves.

"Amiga in ZZAP 64? No way!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I like the sounds of an old farts night :) So long as there'll be punch and pie or something... :p

and Maaaaatloooock.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Old is 25 - closer to 30 than 20. Invited to more weddings than 21sts. Old Man Me, 26 in June.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm 36 and been a gamer since the 70's, in one form or another.
    Unfortunately that does not, therefore, make me awfully good at the games I play, just very enthusiatic!
    I too sound like an old codger it has to be said, dispensing long winded advice here on boards to a disinterested youff, but hey, it makes me feel useful!

My collection, as detailed elsewhere, keeps me warm at night, although that could be because I've too many aged power supplies plugged into too few sockets, my better half is trying to get me to sell those consoles "I don't need", that'll be the broken Nes and DC then! ha ha ha!

Sad to see so few old gits here on boards though, mostly young folk, whose first console experience was, scarily, the PSone probably, deary deary me...

Not too sure I'm too old to abuse yanks though, depends on the yank I guess, and if his vocab is limited to homophobic words he can't even spell, like ghey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Interesting. We have 44 players over the age of 30. I'm sure theres enough interest here for an old gamers group. Do peeps agree that 30+ should be the cut off age or would 25+ be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Interesting. We have 44 players over the age of 30. I'm sure theres enough interest here for an old gamers group. Do peeps agree that 30+ should be the cut off age or would 25+ be better?
    I'm not 30 (yet) so in the interest of not being excluded, I'd say make the cut off 27 or 28 :).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What can an old-gamers group do that an all gamers group can't?

I'm 25 and remember playing hopper on a BBC Micro. Probably wasn't new at the time I was playing it but you don't have to be 30 to play games out in the 70s/early 80s

Advertisement