Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of old git gamers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

thought a few of you early ~30 y/o's would get a chuckle out of this

80s1337ness.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

What can an old-gamers group do that an all gamers group can't?

I'm 25 and remember playing hopper on a BBC Micro. Probably wasn't new at the time I was playing it but you don't have to be 30 to play games out in the 70s/early 80s

Have a better chance of an even playing field :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im 27,

been playing games since I had a "50-variations of pong" machine, that took batteries and a power lead! Then the C64 blew me away, that was it!

Now a prud Wii-60 owner, soon to be ps3 purchaser!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Have a better chance of an even playing field :p
    That's an interesting angle - do most 28+ year old gamers believe they aren't as good as younger gamers? I'd have thought experience would favour youth in this 'sport' more than any?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

That's an interesting angle - do most 28+ year old gamers believe they aren't as good as younger gamers? I'd have thought experience would favour youth in this 'sport' more than any?

like everything, your skill level is proportional to how much you practice. The older you get the less time you have for games so the less good you will be at them. teenagers have all the time in the world to practice their games. I quit CSS mainly because I got sick of 12 y/o american boys screeching "PWND!!! BEEE....AUUUUTCH!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

What L31mr0d said and also the reaction issue. I think that this might be a bit of good clean fun with shakings of competition thrown in.

Yea there is nothing worse than some knob-end yank 13yo on those games.

I remember my first outing of BF2. Some kid made it his life's mission to piss me off as much as possible. I wasn't long getting to dislike it with the torrent of abuse constantly coming down. I imagine European servers are generally better behaved and more civil. At least due to language barriers.

I know I wouldn't know how to trash talk in Italian/German/French.

Maybe "I feart in your zeneral dy-rex-i-onn" a la Monty Python

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

20 here.

I assume one day I'll be an old git gamer.. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Old feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It scares me that when I meet some of the boards regular they always say that they expected a 12 year old boy with a mario t-shirt and not a fine hunky specimen of a man :P
    Wrong...on so many levels.

Seriously, I'm 38 and love playing BF2 multi-player. As for us older gamers ranting out, I'm afraid the opposite is the truth. If it please the court m'lud I offer in evidence as exhibits a and b respectfully the virals 'Angry German Kid' and 'Croyts Rage' both 1 and 2.

• Advertisement

Did you mean to quote my post DublinWriter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Did you mean to quote my post DublinWriter?
    Yes, read it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

20 here, first console was a mega drive :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Only 21 so it's all ahead of me :)

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course, with the advent of the Wii, the notion of an older gamer has radically changed.
    No more can the gamer over 30 be confidently be picked amongst others of his ahe by the pasty skin, glasses and Atari T shirt, nope the older gamer could be anyone, anyone whose kid/grandkid got a Wii for Christmas and got it annexed by his older family members for WiiSports, they are out there!
    Get ready for the tragic inevitability when you play Wii Sports 2 online and get your ass whupped by a 67 year old fan of knitting who has discovered the delights of Bowling.
    You'll be wishing for an uncouth 13year old yank or a gaggle of young men swearing in spanish!

Me, I happily count myself in the greater gaming family of those of all ages, ready and willing to discuss everything from the merits of blood in No More Heroes to the sad misfortune that is Rebel Strike on the GC, feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

31 hitting 32.
    Started with the vic 20. I had break from gaming around the 21 - 26 age when I didn't really play anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I took my break from 16 to 18.
    Amiga, Nes, Master System and Atari ST passed me by,
    then I spotted a Megadrive on the cover of Megatech and the rest is, as they say, history.

It's funny though, when I was in my late teens I never really had all that much spare cash, being a student nurse, and so I only ever had 2 or 3 games at any given time for any of my machines, and I had them singly too, Megadrive, then Gameboy then Snes, but I was, as they say, happy.
    Now, I wonder how much happier I am having the means to own any game I choose, and for multiple consoles, do I get more from my gaming pasttime? Do I have more fun because I have more games and more consoles to play them on?
    I don't really think so, yet I feel like I am missing out when I don't have a current machine, I thought I had a big hole in my gaming life while I didn't own a PS3, and now that I have one am I any happier?

No!

But I wouldn't sell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

16.....When I was really young,I somehow got a NES,The one of the old gameboys,then SNES,Ps1,Game Boy colour,Ps2,X360 :D:D:D

Gave away most of them though....regretting it now

Advertisement