Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick N.C.T. question

Options
  • 05-03-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My car was due its N.C.T. at the start of last month, and so far I have not received any notification for the test date. So the question is .... Who contacts who? Do I have to contact the N.C.T. center or will they contact me?

Thanks in advance...:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You have to contact them.

1890 412 413
    bookings@ncts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

You have to contact them.
    mine was due end of Jan, but htey sent me out a provisional date in february for march.

SO you don't have to contact them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It is up to the registered owner of the vehicle to ensure it has a valid NCT Certificate. They send out letters to most people but that is done as a matter of courtesy only.

People who have imported used cars do not usually get a letter AFAIK.

They send out letters to most people but that is done as a matter of courtesy only.
    I'ts like tax, and insurance...it's up to us but reminders are sent all the time, i've had four different NCT bookings, and they all came by post to me...

Dunno about the imported cars tho...

I've had to make contact for the past 3 NCTs - 2004, 2006 and 2008 and my car is not an import. I've never received any prior contact from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Mine was due last Sept and i didn't bother contacting them, they then contacted me in Oct to do it, something to do with their in backlog or something.

Einstein wrote: »
    I'ts like tax, and insurance...
    AFAIK an insurance company IS legally obliged to contact the policy holder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It is up to the registered owner of the vehicle to ensure it has a valid NCT Certificate.

Nail, head etc.

I've 2 cars for the NCT this month.

If a Garda pulls you for having no NCT do ye think 'they never told me' will pull any weight?

AFAIK an insurance company IS legally obliged to contact the policy holder.

i was referring to the whole reminder thing, as opposed to the legal obigations...

interesting though...i've always received notifications...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Just a little thing i have been told too and its that if u are in a crash and have no nct or your nct is out of date your insurance company is not obliged to pay out cause your car in there eyes is not passed for being on the road... can anyone back me up on this apparently this is what happened to my mates work colleague!!

• Advertisement

Einstein wrote: »
    i was referring to the whole reminder thing, as opposed to the legal obigations...
    I meant that the insurance company is legally obliged to inform the poilcy holder that it is due for renewal.
    Dubdude wrote: »
    Just a little thing i have been told too and its that if u are in a crash and have no nct or your nct is out of date your insurance company is not obliged to pay out cause your car in there eyes is not passed for being on the road... can anyone back me up on this apparently this is what happened to my mates work colleague!!
    Urban myth/old wives tale etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

(A) Car is not an import.
    (B) My OH got a letter in the post with her N.C.T. booking date a few months ago.

Is it just a back log then?

I do realise that you should have a current disc displayed, and as far as Insurance and Tax goes, you always get (not a reminder but) an invoice. So why are the N.C.T. so slow in booking dates. As it is a legal requirement then the N.C.T. are legally required to send you out a booking date in advance of the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

mildews wrote: »
    (A) Car is not an import.
    (B) My OH got a letter in the post with her N.C.T. booking date a few months ago.

Is it just a back log then?

I do realise that you should have a current disc displayed, and as far as Insurance and Tax goes, you always get (not a reminder but) an invoice. So why are the N.C.T. so slow in booking dates. As it is a legal requirement then the N.C.T. are legally required to send you out a booking date in advance of the renewal.

No they're not legally required and as another poster said "They never told me" won't do if a guard decides to pull you up on it. My car is not an import and was in the system with me as the registered owner but I was never notified. I was able to get a booking within a week of checking it though so I don't think there's a big backlog issue. Most people I know were sent notifications but I also know some who weren't. At the end of the day, it's up to you to make sure you've got a valid NCT cert.

mildews wrote: »
    As it is a legal requirement then the N.C.T. are legally required to send you out a booking date in advance of the renewal.
    What makes you think they are "legally required"?

From the NCT website:
    If you do not hear from NCTS and think your car may be eligible for the NCT, then please phone us on 1890 412 413 or you can check our on-line service by simply typing in your car registration number. Owners of cars that have been off the road or have not been taxed for over 3 months will not be notified and it will be necessary for the owner to contact NCTS directly themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've nvt'd 2 cars in the past 6 months and never got a notification for either of them, I had to do the booking myself

Advertisement