Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who to write to, to complain about VRT.

Options
  • 05-03-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I am wondering who do you address your letter to when you wish to make a complaint about unfair VRT changes.

The search function will not search "VRT".

GF is buying a diesel Astra on Saturday up the north for travelling to work.

If she takes it in on Monday the VRT is 3300e, if she waits till July its 2200e. In effect if she takes it in now the value of the car will reduce by 1100e in value due to tax changes.

In addition she will have to pay the increased tax road tax instead of 150e per annum.

It seems unfair that those picking the greener alternative are puniched before the changes so who do you complain to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just wait and register it, or wait til july and buy on then

no one is forcing you to buy it now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

AFAIK the road tax issue has been resolved somwhat - recent movement towards taxing all '08 cars according to the new rules.

As for the depreciation issue - like Cyrus said, suck it up... Life's a bitch and all that but there has to be a cut-off point somewhere. My plans have been effected just as badly if not more.

It would have made more sense for gov to announce this last June and let the changes take effect since Jan but complaining at this stage is a futile exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If you want to write a letter of complaint about VRT write to the Minister for Finance or your local FF TD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I think santa would be as good a choice to complain to, you'd probably get the same satisification as writing to a minister!

deegs wrote: »
    I think santa would be as good a choice to complain to, you'd probably get the same satisification as writing to a minister!

well he asked the question so i told him the answer....I ddin't guarantee it would achieve anything!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks guys for the input.

I agree suck it up pay the VRT and get on with it. If there where no changes to the VRT rates then we would be no better off.

Ill write to the Finance Minister and see what they have to say.

Have to buy now am afraid. No choice in holding off as the car is needed for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I'd buy now and either a) risk driving around and register after the date or b) leave it in your driveway and borrow a car for a few months then register

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 boycee09

IRISH DRIVERS ASSOCIATION holding a public meeting in OSTAN NA ROSANN HOTEL, DUNGLOE, DONEGAL on Friday 7th March at 8.30pm to discuss driving issues but in particular VRT issues. Any questions contact the chairman John on 087 2509123. There will be politicans present to answer questions and the assocation has many questions needing answers. Anyone that could make it I believe it would be well worth while to pay a visit. Customs officals have been invited but I don't know if any will turn up. There will be some gardai present but they are on the side of the Irish drivers association rather than customs. Please pass on the message.Support is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

boycee09 wrote: »
    IRISH DRIVERS ASSOCIATION holding a public meeting in OSTAN NA ROSANN HOTEL, DUNGLOE, DONEGAL on Friday 7th March at 8.30pm to discuss driving issues but in particular VRT issues. Any questions contact the chairman John on 087 2509123. There will be politicans present to answer questions and the assocation has many questions needing answers. Anyone that could make it I believe it would be well worth while to pay a visit. Customs officals have been invited but I don't know if any will turn up. There will be some gardai present but they are on the side of the Irish drivers association rather than customs. Please pass on the message.Support is needed

Don't arrive in your un-regged car then :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

boycee09 wrote: »

Best of luck with it, I'd attend if it was a little nearer to Dublin. Great idea with the No Vote for the Lisbon Treaty, I feel this is the only way the ordinary motorist who disagrees with paying importation duty (VRT) on EU sourced cars can protest about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is there no way at all she can hold off till July? Borrow a car (give her your's?)? Buy a €500 banger (she'd still be saving)? Get a lift to work? Cycle even? (Was gonna suggest get the train, but I see you're in Monaghan)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Is there no way at all she can hold off till July? Borrow a car (give her your's?)? Buy a €500 banger (she'd still be saving)? Get a lift to work?

+1
    I'd buy now and either a) risk driving around and register after the date or b) leave it in your driveway and borrow a car for a few months then register

Do you realise you have to register it within 24 hours of importing it? Doesn't matter if it is not on the public road or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Do you realise you have to register it within 24 hours of importing it? Doesn't matter if it is not on the public road or not.

True... but would you really be bothered reporting one of your neighbours if they were parking a car until July to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

True Biro. They're (UK regs) everywhere in Dublin. I know it's tighter around the border counties but the worst you will get is a slap on the wrists and sent to the VRT office. Even if they impound your car you won't be penalised as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    True... but would you really be bothered reporting one of your neighbours if they were parking a car until July to clear?

I wouldn't but I'm sure there are some people out there who would(car haters presumably). In any case it is breaking the law, so best not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Point of note: Not declaring for VRT would mean breaking an Irish law that totally goes against the fundamentals of a common market/EU Policy anyway... Why join the EU and impose trade restrictive policies like VRT?

Maybe you can put a point about that in your letter Kluivert.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Looks like they could be after Santa too:

http://www.ukmediacentre.pwc.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=2571&NewsAreaID=2

I'm still waiting for a reply (which even attempts to answer my questions regarding the new tax rates) from the Greena Fail ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

rigal wrote: »
    Even if they impound your car you won't be penalised as far as I know.

I think you will have to pay a fine to get your car out of the pound. When i bought a car in the UK, the license plate was a cherished plate, so the owner had to send the V5 off to the DVLA and then post it back to me before i could VRT it. 5 weeks in total, the garda's kept threatening me with impounding the car and having a big fine to pay.
    My first UK buying experience, i've learned a lot since then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks Senna. I know you mean, about buying a car in the UK, this is our first time as well and its proving to be an experience.

The VRO office needs the V5 in order to reg the car.

She cant wait till July as she just sold her own car. If she kept her car till July there would have been an extra 20k miles or so on a 1.2 engine :eek:

She wouldnt have been able to sell the car at that stage as it was hard enough to get a sale as it was.

I understand some people are going to lose out and some people are going to gain by the rules change.

I need my car to get to work in Dundalk, which she has this week, as I am off for the week.

I could buy a banger for 500e for a couple of months it is an option.

I was talking to my Garda friend who informed me that the Gardas can impound the car under Section 40 of the Finance Act. To get the car realised you must pay 135e for the tow charge, and 65e for every night its there. For them to realise it, you must produce a tax disc and in order to do that you have to get the car VRT'd, get licence plates and produce all to your local impound.

Well done to the Irish Drivers Association for holding a meeting in Donegal, could they have not held it in a more central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Riskymove wrote: »
    If you want to write a letter of complaint about VRT write to the Minister for Finance or your local FF TD

The correct place to address VRT related complaints is vrt/at/revenue.ie or

Collector General
    Revenue Commissioners
    Sarsfield House
    Limerick

also

Accountant General
    Government Offices
    Kilrush Road
    Ennis
    Co. Clare

and also

The VRT section of your local Revenue office

To suggest changes to the system and it's implementation refer to Riskymove's suggestion. However there was a consultation process and committe stage has now been completed. I think your issue has been addressed in part at that stage, but I haven't seen the full detail yet.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    To suggest changes to the system and it's implementation refer to Riskymove's suggestion. However there was a consultation process and committe stage has now been completed. I think your issue has been addressed in part at that stage, but I haven't seen the full detail yet.
    yes

Revenue just implement the system and take the money etc...its the Minister for Finance who makes the policy on VRT

I don't think there is much point writing to Revenue VRT section to complain about the overall system.

EDIT the latest changes are only about motor tax as far as I can make out, VRT still not in place until July

OP's other half can avail of cheaper motor tax from renewal so I'd advise just taxing for minimum tog et to July

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Riskymove wrote: »
    EDIT the latest changes are only about motor tax as far as I can make out, VRT still not in place until July

OP's other half can avail of cheaper motor tax from renewal so I'd advise just taxing for minimum tog et to July

The latest changes mean that the OPs other half will only be able to avail of cheaper tax after July if the car was originally registered in NI after 01.01.08. Same for VRT with the date changed to July

Advertisement