Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: Dirty number plates in line for penalty points

Options
  • 05-03-2008 10:40am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from here...
    Dirty number plates in line for penalty points

David Labanyi
    TALKS ARE underway to make dirty or obscured number plates a penalty point offence in advance of the introduction of new privatised speed cameras and number plate reading technology.
    The head of the Garda Traffic Corps, Assistant Commissioner Eddie Rock, said many registration plates had numbers "so small you can't read them and the automated systems won't read them and we want to have a fixed penalty for that".
    The Assistant Commissioner said allocating penalty points to the offence would reduce the amount of time gardaí would have to spend in court.
    "We want to try and get [ obscured number plate offences] out of the courts," he said.
    Talks on the project have already taken place between the Road Safety Authority and the Revenue Commissioners.
    A Revenue spokeswoman said talks on drafting "a composite set of regulations in relation to all number plate offences have been initiated". The fine for having an incorrectly sized or obscured number plate was increased in this year's Finance Act to €5,000, from €1,250. The size, format, colour and dimensions of number plates are regulated by VRT legislation.
    Any legislative change to make this a penalty point offence would require legislation to be brought forward from the Department of Transport.
    Last week, the Cabinet finally approved funding approval for the procurement of privatised speed cameras, although a row over the cost of the scheme means the cameras will not be in place before October at the earliest.
    © 2008 The Irish Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Wasn't peanlty points brought in as a safety measure.

How is having dirty number plates make you or your car less safer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To benefit speed safety cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

So, before this change I presume they will also make builders and farmers etc clean up the roads after them :rolleyes:

The state of the roads in this country mean that you could spend a few hours cleaning your car only to drive a few kms up a road behind a mucky truck or tractor and have your plates obscured.

Nothing to do with safety, just another way to sponge money out of motorists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Ever drove the N81 in the rain,or snow, or when its sunny (dust storms!)for that matter.
    You're car ends up looking like it's been pulled from a swamp.
    Markings on the road itself ar eoften obscured by muck and dirt too.

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Because the knowledge that one's plate is illegible might make one less worried about cameras?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Because the knowledge that one's plate is illegible might make one less worried about cameras?

Granted that ,but unless they make us fit wipers onto reg plates how over the space of a ..let say 3 hour trip will you know that your plates are dirty...This country just gets better by the day.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Granted that ,but unless they make us fit wipers onto reg plates how over the space of a ..let say 3 hour trip will you know that your plates are dirty...This country just gets better by the day.:mad:
    I'd imagine the cameras will be good enough not to have a problem with plates unless they're completely obscured by muck. I don't think it's going to be a tax on plates that just aren't shiny enough!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There are also lots of ve-hicles with conveniently placed towbars and bike carriers not to mention trailers with no plates or badly handwritten numbers on them.

I would think this is what they are aiming at.

Modern scameras can see through a fair bit of dirt as they use a combination of IR and visible light to take the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i'd imagine it's for something like this

040704woodlands20.jpg

rather than something like this

http://www.bootlehens.co.uk/carsticker.JPG

now that i think about it i'm pretty sure some of our jeeps have been fined/given a bollicking as they've come off site with dirty plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a difference between just a bit dirty and taking the piss with one completely obscured by a thick layer of filth.

Any way, AFAIK, it's, quite rightly, an offence in most countries to have an illegible (for whatever reason) number plate, so maybe go easy on the 'it could only happen here' comments :)

• Advertisement

That mud could have another use, maybe to cover the cameras...:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Alun wrote: »
    There's a difference between just a bit dirty and taking the piss with one completely obscured by a thick layer of filth.

Any way, AFAIK, it's, quite rightly, an offence in most countries to have an illegible (for whatever reason) number plate, so maybe go easy on the 'it could only happen here' comments :)

Got stopped by a garda in Dublin years ago for this. Was living on a building site at the time and number plate was covered in muck.....it was a fair cop and I had no problem with it. Hopefully they'll sort out all of the illegal font number plates as well....some of them are ridiculous. Try driving around the UK with your italic script font plate, you would definitely get pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wasn't peanlty points brought in as a safety measure.

A few of the offenses that are provided for in the penalty point legislation(Road Traffic Act 2002), but aren't active yet, including "Failure to produce licence" and "Giving false or misleading details when applying for licence" aren't necessairily to do with road safety either.

Personally, I'd like to see them to bring in the points for "Worn or defective tyres", "Inadequate brakes" and "Vehicle not equipped with required lights", as they're already provided for under the RTA 2002, but I don't have any issue with points for seriously obscured or illegible plates. You might as well be driving without plates as have an inch of mud caked on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stevec wrote: »
    There are also lots of ve-hicles with conveniently placed towbars and bike carriers
    ...and motorcyclists with the tax disc cover obscuring part of the plate or those motorcyclists who place their hand over the plate while going through speed cameras.
    Alun wrote: »
    Agree - it never ceases to amaze me that we always have motorists who say "only in Ireland" to any new peice of legislation. Most of these regulations are in place for many years in other countries. It's time Irish motorists started taking responsibility for themselves and stop constantly blaming the democratically elected Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Fair enough, it should probably be an offence. But getting points for it is ridiculous. A warning or a small fine would suffice. By giving points for stupid offences that endanger no one, like not carrying your license or a dirty number plate, it reduces the value of the whole system. I don't want to see peoples insurance going up for something silly like this. 1 or 2 points for a dirty number plate, 2 points for not wearing a seatbelt. Which is more dangerous?! Fools, its just to stop people covering up their plates in case they don't get screwed by our precious safety cameras. :rolleyes:

I can see my plates being "muddy" from now on when the cameras come in.

My problem is they are putting in this law in time to ensure the camera system works, it has nothing to do with anyones safety. Enforcing the other points offenses correctly and implementing the ones actually about road safety would help, instead of protecting a handy future revenue stream like they are now.

DIdn't they sell it in the uk some guy "invented" spray on mud

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,67794,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Will creating / leaving excessive dirt / mud, etc. on the roads, be made an offence. I often come accross mud and slurry etc. spilled all over the roads and no one appears to bothered to try and clean it up. Aside from this dirt getting all over your car, it also represents a dangerous hazzard that could cause accidents.

Again the state is just going after the soft target. Easier to proscute a driver for a dirty reg plate, than to go after an indiviual / company that may be putting peoples lives at risk by their carelessness.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Will creating / leaving excessive dirt / mud, etc. on the roads, be made an offence. I often come accross mud and slurry etc. spilled all over the roads and no one appears to bothered to try and clean it up. Aside from this dirt getting all over your car, it also represents a dangerous hazzard that could cause accidents.

Again the state is just going after the soft target. Easier to proscute a driver for a dirty reg plate, than to go after an indiviual / company that may be putting peoples lives at risk by their carelessness.

Exactly!

If you skidded on mud outside a building site, could you have a case against the builder for leaving the road in an unsafe condition?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

im all for this, dont see what the fuss is

If you skidded on mud outside a building site, could you have a case against the builder for leaving the road in an unsafe condition?
    More of the "blame someone else" mentality.

While the depositor of debris on a public road may be required to employ a street sweeper, those of us who are responsible motorists will have adapted our driving to the prevailing conditions and will be aware of the possibility of slippery surfaces in the vicinity of building sites.

Similarly, those of us who are responsible motorists will always ensure that our registration plates are legible. We don't need the threat of penalty points to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

While the depositor of debris on a public road may be required to employ a street sweeper, those of us who are responsible motorists will have adapted our driving to the prevailing conditions and will be aware of the possibility of slippery surfaces in the vicinity of building sites.

Similarly, those of us who are responsible motorists will always ensure that our registration plates are legible. We don't need the threat of penalty points to do so.
    +1

If you stop for petrol and see that it's dirty, then just damn well clean it. If the road's that dirty, you'll probably have to clean your lights as well, so just do that at the same time. Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Actually I would like to chip in here regarding the 'state of the road's comments.
    I'm both a motorcyclist and a cager! Muck and dirt outside a buildsite on public roads is a major safety hazzard for me on the bike (it is in a car as well... but the danger is exponential on a bike).
    The amount of times i would drive up the n81 and have to consistantly stop to wipe the visor of my helmet is not funny.
    As for adapting to the conditions, you are absolutely correct. Most road users shoud adapt to the conditions. However, there is and always will be the possability for human error to occur, such as the case you could around a blind bend, and discover that traffic has stopped in front of you. You apply the brakes but because of muck and other slippy substances on the road your braking distance increases. The state of the road IMHO shoudl always provide a road user a good margin to recover from a mistake cause lets face it mistakes/accidents do happen.

Actually I would like to chip in here regarding the 'state of the road's comments.
    I'm both a motorcyclist and a cager! Muck and dirt outside a buildsite on public roads is a major safety hazzard for me on the bike (it is in a car as well... but the danger is exponential on a bike).
    The amount of times i would drive up the n81 and have to consistantly stop to wipe the visor of my helmet is not funny.
    As for adapting to the conditions, you are absolutely correct. Most road users shoud adapt to the conditions. However, there is and always will be the possability for human error to occur, such as the case you could around a blind bend, and discover that traffic has stopped in front of you. You apply the brakes but because of muck and other slippy substances on the road your braking distance increases. The state of the road IMHO shoudl always provide a road user a good margin to recover from a mistake cause lets face it mistakes/accidents do happen.

+1

If you implying I'm an unsafe driver, then you are quite incorrect.
    However, I stand by my comments. Builders and farmers should be accountable for the crap they leave on the roads. (Not just builders and farmers I hasten to add).

Most, if not all responsible drivers take all road conditions into account, but I for one have on many occasions have had to take avoiding action coming round bends on country roads, only to find clumps of muck, turf, sugar beet etc etc in the middle of the road.

If you implying I'm an unsafe driver, then you are quite incorrect.
    However, I stand by my comments. Builders and farmers should be accountable for the crap they leave on the roads. (Not just builders and farmers I hasten to add).

Most, if not all responsible drivers take all road conditions into account, but I for one have on many occasions have had to take avoiding action coming round bends on country roads, only to find clumps of muck, turf, sugar beet etc etc in the middle of the road.

Yep, been there had that, mud and crap all over the road on or just after a blind bend. Maybe wishbone ash dosen't get out of the city much.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Yep, been there had that, mud and crap all over the road on or just after a blind bend. Maybe wishbone ash dosen't get out of the city much.

+1.

i believe that a few fines imposed on the people that leave the road in this condition and dont clean it up would go a long way instead of "cleaning up" :D on motorists who have to pay road tax and now fines because the road that we all pay to use has been plastered and our plates might be dirty because of someone else :rolleyes:

on the other hand, im not surprised at the fact that something like this could happen after the scameras were given the go ahead either ;)

very timely IMO

Matt Cooper is going to be discussing this on Today FM in a few minutes.

Maybe wishbone ash dosen't get out of the city much.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Every winter people skid on mud left when the beet is harvested. I have treated numerous people who have crashed when they skidded on this mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Every winter people skid on mud left when the beet is harvested. I have treated numerous people who have crashed when they skidded on this mud.

As WA said earlier "those of us who are responsible motorists will have adapted our driving to the prevailing conditions". If the mud is there every winter shouldn't the locals realise that? Obviously the odd tourist will be caught by surprise :D

To the poster who complained about coming around a bend to see traffic stopped and skidding in a load of mud, aren't you supposed to only travel at a speed that will allow you to stop in the distance ahead that you can see to be clear? I've come across roaming sheep, crashed cars, nattering neighbours etc. around bends but I've always been able to stop in time.

Advertisement