Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS and CV Joint - The Cost!!!

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey,

The ABS warning light came on a while ago and I just sent the car in to be repaired. The dealer said a small ring thats part of the CV joint has worn away. Basically if i replace the CV joint the problem will be fixed.

The CV joint is going to cost 155 euros approx. and the labour (2hours) is going to cost 255 approx.

Does anyone know how long it takes to replace a CV joint?

L

ps the car is a Jag X Type

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Two hours sounds about right. What CV joint is it that needs to be replaced? Is your X-type four wheel drive?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

255 for two hours labour?
    Jag dealer? If so then IIRC most dealers have a 'fixed' timing & pricing structure for a job and charge on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

@ Cosmo
    its the rear right CV joint that needs replacing and yes, its an all wheel drive x type.

@ kbannon
    yes it is a main jag dealer

thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Just as a reference I got my local mechanic to change the CV joint on a Passat. Part cost €110, Labour was €70. Don't know how long it took him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have replaced a couple myself, not on Jags tho. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half (depending on a few things), and the joints cost about €70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont know how the abs teeth would wear away as they just rotate close to a sensor and dont rub on anything. What I have seen though is the teeth getting clogged with grease and metal filings and therefore causing the abs light to come on. In this case only cleaning is required. Anyother possibility is that the sensor has moved slightly away from the teeth again causing the abs light to come on.

I would get a second opinion on it. Main dealers love replacing parts and certainly wont clean an old part.

Go to a good private garage and even replacing the joint with new wont cost you near 400 euro.

thank for the replies

The serviceman called me this morning giving me a quote. I knew it sounded expensive but I told him to go ahead with it that was before I posted the thread. I hope it is not a case where the ABS teeth just needed cleaning.

Will it do me any good to ask for the old part so I check for damage myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya just when paying for the job, I would ask for it. If any messing.... you will know you have been had.

I just picked up the car and asked to have a look at the cv joint. He showed me the spot where the ABS teeth should have been. There wasn't a single tooth or anything left on the cv joint. The serviceman said that UK imports can suffer from a bit of rust due to the salting of the roads.

I think I'll go to a local mechanic if the ABS or cv joint fails again.

Advertisement