Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwed in work

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

A friend of mine got part time work while attending college and the guy in charge said it would be cash in hand for a while. it only once or twice a week, but after a while my mate started seeing how this guy operates, ripping off customers and taking customers money as deposits on items for christmas, not getting them and then fobbing the customers off with stories week in week out always promising the item will be in the next week and so on.

My mate left the shop but is still owed around 170 in wages and although he says he's not in dire need of the cash, he'd rather have the money then let the sh*tebag in the shop keep it. He recently found out that another guy who left the shop is still 450 euro.

My mate can prove he was working there and has witnesses.
    Does anyone know the likely outcome if he took the matter to small claims or how would he even go about putting it to the revenue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

numty wrote: »
    if he took the matter to small claims or how would he even go about putting it to the revenue.
    The small claims court don't deal with such matters.

It's probably not worth the hassle of pursuing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Anyone know the legalitys of standing outside said shop and telling customers how that guy operates? I'd imagine he'd give you your money pretty quickly jsut to get rid of you if you cost him enough business....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Go to a Rights Officer. Make a claim under the Payment of Wages Act and under the Terms of Employment Act. An award of four weeks wages will be made where there was no written terms of employment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Hanley wrote: »
    Anyone know the legalitys of standing outside said shop and telling customers how that guy operates? I'd imagine he'd give you your money pretty quickly jsut to get rid of you if you cost him enough business....

I ant no expert but best I know its classed as slanderous and if you do that you risk to be sued as without proof like convictions in court cases then its slander

If you go to court and prove it then you can shout from the roof tops print it in any web pages reference such and such court case and convictions

The legal defense that you were trying to do it for public interest is on thin ice as there is personal axe you wish to grind whitch makes the case less good than a hapless shopping victim who got stung and would wish to help reduce vimore victims but its all thin ice stuff

Also often these types probably got local hoods with base ball bats ready to bop wanna be stand outside the shop and protest types

Your friend was lucky its only 170 euros and hopefully the Rights Officer can get some money back for him

EVIL SOB

derry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

derry its only slander if its not true.

of course the onus will be on the OP to prove its true which is no easy feat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

be warned here that if you are going to report him you will be liable to PAYE and PRSI from the money that you got 'cash in hand' even if you are under the 20% bracket

can of worms really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Yes, but getting the ex boss in deep sh*te with Revenue would be sweet revenge.

Advertisement