Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 2003 R2 - Excel creating TMP files

• 05-03-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm having problems with Excel files on my Windows 2003 R2
    server. Once some of our users open an Excel file for the second time, the system creates a .TMP file that once created cannot be deleted unless I reboot the server. The TMP file has the same name as the original except it adds something like ~RF1006b01.TMP after the file name.

When viewing the properties of the file you can see the information
    about the time of creation, when it was last modified etc, but the
    tabs for VERSION, COMPATIBILITY, SUMMARY and most important SECURITY
    are missing. This is strange since the file is located on a NTFS
    volume and the user who want to view this information has FULL CONTROL
    on the file.

When trying to delete the file I get a message that access is denied.

When looking at the currently open files on the server the TMP file is not listed as open.

When trying to delete the file from a DOS BOX I also get an ACCESS IS
    DENIED warning.

I tried changing the security on the file, but this also gives an ACCESS IS DENIED. Taking ownership also doesn't work, ACCESS IS DENIED.

I've removed any anti-virus software from one of the users PCs but the problem still exists.

This problem has only surfaced, everything had been working ok.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem on a Windows 2003 R2
    server with SP2? Or any ideas on how to fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you open an excel file, sometimes excel creates a scratch file copy of that excel file, then it locks both the .xls file and the .tmp file. It works in the .tmp file and saves it over to the .xls file when the user clicks "Save".

The "Access is Denied" message probably isn't security-related, but related to the fact that the file is open and locked by the client machine. If you disconnect the client machine's open handles/pipes, you should be able to delete the file.

A quick search reveals the Anti-virus issue that you obviously found.

The only suggestion I can give is a nightly job which disconnects all open handles and deletes TMP files. The only problem you have is that any users who open files and then go home and leave them open will be foaming at the mouth the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

After the first time the users opens the file, a TMP file is created everytime the file is re-opened, so the file system is filling up pretty quickly. If the user shuts down their PC I still cannot delete the TMP files from the server. It doesnt happen for everyone, it only happens for some users on some PCs. Strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I'm having something similar today. When an attempt is made to open the file excel gives the "file open by username, ...read-only, notify, cancel" message. Thing is, the usernames it gives are that of people who have not logged on in months. The files is not in the Open Files list, the user is not listed in Sessions.

Shayser, have you installed recent Microsoft updates on your server? Ive a feeling its something to do with that. And do you use McAfee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Are users logging onto the server (i.e. terminal services) or are they just saving files to a share on the server?

• Advertisement

In my case the server is the PDC but also has the share where the files are located. I'll check for any recent updates this evening.

Same in my case, files on server, user connects via shared drive. Shayser can you let me know if youre using McAfee so I can rule that out?

McAfee is on the client machines but the share in question (mapped drive) is excluded from the on-access scan. It's on the server also but on-access scan is permanently disabled for all files (scheduled scan runs). It's always been this way. I'm going back in in about an hour so I'll be looking at it again then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    The only problem you have is that any users who open files and then go home and leave them open will be foaming at the mouth the next day.
    Just tell them that opened files won't be backed up and when (not if) the spreadsheet becomes corrupt the words "I told you so" will be be in use.

some backup programs allow you to skip open files, others sell you an agent to try it

try net files , command to see who has what open

I don't think it would be related to shadow copy

Just tell them that opened files won't be backed up and when (not if) the spreadsheet becomes corrupt the words "I told you so" will be be in use.

some backup programs allow you to skip open files, others sell you an agent to try it

try net files , command to see who has what open

I don't think it would be related to shadow copy

That doesnt fix the problem though. Theres still multiple TMP files for each excel spread sheet thats been opened and they wont go until the server has been rebooted and then they can be deleted.
    shayser wrote: »
    McAfee is on the client machines but the share in question (mapped drive) is excluded from the on-access scan. It's on the server also but on-access scan is permanently disabled for all files (scheduled scan runs). It's always been this way. I'm going back in in about an hour so I'll be looking at it again then.

Ive a feeling that its either Microsoft Updates or McAfee. I have my McAfee disabled too, but that and the updates are the only things that have changed on my systems. I updated McAfee to patch 16 recently, and fully patched it with Microsoft Updates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

have you tried

net file 765476 /delete

In that command "net file 765476 /delete", what does the "765476" refer to? The file name?
    Excel file Im trying to delete is called "Excel.xls~RF1c0297.TMP"
    But NET FILE Excel.xls~RF1c0297.TMP /DELETE doesnt work.

Also after rebooting the server this morning, I deleted all the TMP files, however the first TMP file to reappear this morning says it was last modified on the 25/02/08!

Display all the open shared files on a server and the lock-id
    NET FILE

Close a shared file (disconnect other users and remove file locks)
    NET FILE id /CLOSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have you got offline files enabled on the machine - are your users using offline files?

NET FILE doesnt list the TMP files unfortunately. And Offline Files are disabled by Group Policy.

Shayser have you checked to see if you have the latest Microsoft Patches installed?

Turns out it was McAfee. I had tried everything else but eventually I removed McAfee from the server and it fixed it. Running an older version of McAfee, Patch 10 for the moment.

Glad you got it sorted. I fixed my problem by deleting the local copy of the user profile.

Advertisement