Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is this suv good value

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's not an SUV, that's a proper off-roader. In it's element (ie mud) there's nothing to touch it, but it's an absolute pig on tarmac. What do you want it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

If you plan to cross deep rivers on your way to work it has a snorkel. British army love them as well as the esb.

If its for the kids and a school run your hardcore and i salute you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Defender has a cult following in the UK and there are plenty to choose from. I would cross the Irish sea for one to be honest, I would be inclined to buy from an enthusiast who has looked after the vehicle with lots of TLC. Too many battered ones out there.

If it's hard core offroading your into then nothing comes close to the Defender but if your only after a SUV for tarmac driving then look at the old Range Rover, road manners and creature comforts are not a priority in the Defender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

sounds like its a cool machine but is this one good value at 20k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

It's nice enough but hardly good value if you're being practical about it. 20k on a 5 year old Defender should get you warranty, which that one doesn't have as it's a private sale.... It's also nothing special - There are bucketloads of them in the UK for smaller money, even including duty to import.

Also, if you've never seen a county spec 90 before, you're hardly ready to go buying a Defender. I'd spend a bit more time learning about these things before you go dropping a load on something that might be a real surprise to you down the line.

I'm a big Landrover fan, but they have their place. Best understand that before you become an owner.

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

The defender series started way back in the 50's as far as I know The newest (07) modle has a ford transit 2.5 diesel engine and is the first version to come with a working heater. The reason they have opening windows on the drivers door is simply so that you can use your right arm to steer. because they are so uncomfortable even a seasoned land rover driver can only tolerate about an hour in the driver seat at a time.

This will give you a taste of the machine, it is a real off roader and in my opinion the ONLY off roader but there are no frills, no sat nav, trip computer, electric windows. it does what it does best and thats it. Unless your daily drive takes you through open savanna, desert, swamp and marsh or an army off road course stay clear, they are thirsty, uncomfortable, noisy and basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

250882 wrote: »
    The defender series started way back in the 50's as far as I know The newest (07) modle has a ford transit 2.5 diesel engine and is the first version to come with a working heater. The reason they have opening windows on the drivers door is simply so that you can use your right arm to steer. because they are so uncomfortable even a seasoned land rover driver can only tolerate about an hour in the driver seat at a time.

This will give you a taste of the machine, it is a real off roader and in my opinion the ONLY off roader but there are no frills, no sat nav, trip computer, electric windows. it does what it does best and thats it. Unless your daily drive takes you through open savanna, desert, swamp and marsh or an army off road course stay clear, they are thirsty, uncomfortable, noisy and basic.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You're showing your limited knowledge of the marque by pretty much all you've written.

The current Defender is a comfortable, relatively quiet and economical, well specified offroader. It can be supplied with air conditioning, electric windows etc etc. You want an economical and powerful 2.4TD or a petrol 4.6 V8? You got it! ABS, sure thing! Leather - No problem. Accessorize to make the biggest show off drool all you want. Bolt bits on, bolt bits off. Versatility and easy of modification to the task at hand is one of their strongest points....

You make out that a 1950's Series I is what the Defender is based on, and that's plain wrong. Each generation of Landrover brought something new to the table and pretty much set itself apart from the preceding series. Series II to Series IIa saw full synchro on the gearbox for example. Series III brought the first reliable cab heater for one thing, powerful V8 options and disc brakes. The D90/110 brought a 2.5 Diesel and petrol engine along with many more superb diesel powerplants, coil springs, fulltime 4WD and a host of improvements throughout its lifetime including ABS, traction control and the superb TDi series and TD5 powerplants. The current model is a development of that platform, and nothing else. And to refer to the engine as a Transit engine is misleading to say the least.

Get your facts straight and refrain from regurgitating nonsense and hearsay you've read elsewhere on the interweb.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. You're showing your limited knowledge of the marque by pretty much all you've written.

The current Defender is a comfortable, relatively quiet and economical, well specified offroader. It can be supplied with air conditioning, electric windows etc etc. You want an economical and powerful 2.4TD or a petrol 4.6 V8? You got it! ABS, sure thing! Leather - No problem. Accessorize to make the biggest show off drool all you want. Bolt bits on, bolt bits off. Versatility and easy of modification to the task at hand is one of their strongest points....

You make out that a 1950's Series I is what the Defender is based on, and that's plain wrong. Each generation of Landrover brought something new to the table and pretty much set itself apart from the preceding series. Series II to Series IIa saw full synchro on the gearbox for example. Series III brought the first reliable cab heater for one thing, powerful V8 options and disc brakes. The D90/110 brought a 2.5 Diesel and petrol engine along with many more superb diesel powerplants, coil springs, fulltime 4WD and a host of improvements throughout its lifetime including ABS, traction control and the superb TDi series and TD5 powerplants. The current model is a development of that platform, and nothing else. And to refer to the engine as a Transit engine is misleading to say the least.

Get your facts straight and refrain from regurgitating nonsense and hearsay you've read elsewhere on the interweb.

Gil

Your corect in many ways....however i think the point 250882 was trying to make was valid....the OP would be probably be better off in a freelander.....even the new defender in miles away in comfort, refinement and road manners from a Landcruiser or similar.
    The Defender has its place......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Buy It! Always said i would love one a defender decked out with all the climbing gear, big winch on front etc etc... I had the pleasure of being taken on a speedy rally through a wood at night in one and you couldn't believe the places that machine was able to go and the gaps it could fit through, i was amazed!

I could never understand how the back seating arrangement was road leagle though?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

this car would seem good value and i say that only because its cheaper than similar defenders advertised on carzone
    that said its a buyers market right now and most cars are over priced

• Advertisement
Advertisement