Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile boradband for one month only

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hope someone can help with this. My dad is coming over to Ireland for a month this summer. He needs to be able to work from his Macbook while he is here but the house he is renting does not have broadband. Does anyone know if it's possible to "rent" a mobile broadband token for a month? I think he would be able to use a UK token but the roaming charges would be pretty high

Any advice welcome - feel free to PM me if that's easier

Cheers in advance

Jim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

O2's mobile broadband might suit. You need to pay for it up front and enter a contract, but there is a 1 month trial where if you're not happy, you can simply return it and get your money back. I'm not sure it works on Mac though.

Failing that, I think IBB Ripwave is available without a contract, you pay month by month. Coverage with Ripwave is sparse and also the service is fairly crap.

3 are launching a PAYG broadband on their 3G network, but unless you despise you dad, I wouldn't recommend it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also the 3 PAYG broadband requires that you buy the modem off them for about €150 first, not ideal if you just want it for a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

However should a 3 UK sim not work here on the 3 network without any roaming charges. If he is going back and forth this may be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

failing that, there are plenty of wireless hotspots around, especially if you happen to be in dublin, or do mac's operate wirelessly ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

failing that, there are plenty of wireless hotspots around, especially if you happen to be in dublin, or do mac's operate wirelessly ?

You are very brave asking a question like that!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭McNulty

Cheers for all the answers - the 3 'dongle' might be the best option as his business would probably pick up the cost and the coverage "looks" pretty good for Meath where he'll be stopping. If there aren't any roaming costs then even better

Cheers

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

not sure but he should be able to use that "3" broadband in a mobile set up as modem as long as it has hsdpa which would save buying the modem from three for €150

Advertisement