Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fenerbache's goalkeeper last night

• 05-03-2008 12:33pm

Ok so was watchin the Fenerbache - Sevilla match last night and when it got to the penalties it got me thinkin. The Fenerbache goalkeeper was actin the mick for every penalty, taking an age to get to his line so the penalty takers had to wait. Now I agree its effective but should referees be harder on keepers when they try this rubbish?? I mean he was not only procrastinating gettin on his line, how long should it take really, but he was also off his line for every penalty that Sevilla took. For me it takes away from the game, some goalkeepers like Palop of Sevilla or Reina of Liverpool, Spanish keepers in general actually, have made an art form of saving penalties and thats a skill and gets rewarded. but standin over the ball instead of just getting on your line, drinkin water behind the goal before every penalty, pullin up your socks etc etc isnt an artform, its just poor form. i remember Barthez doin it for United a few years back at Fulham and I was disgusted, it was the only time I was sorry to see a penalty not go in against United in my whole life.

So should refs be harder on goalies for pullin this sort of nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think a good oul whitecoat at the back of the goal like GAA would solve alot of probs in soccer, including this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm of the same opinion on this as I am on the whole Terry thing - if referees don't act on it then players should go for it by all means. The ref is there to enforce the rules. If he doesn't see anything wrong with it then it's game ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm a keeper and to be honest I do stand over the ball to psyche a player out before penalties but once he puts the ball down I go straight for the goal, nothing else.

What really annoyed me about tht keeper was his blatant cheating for the peno's.
    He was clearly coming off his line for all the peno's before diving. Ref should of let a retake for the 2nd peno.

Trilla wrote: »
    I think a good oul whitecoat at the back of the goal like GAA would solve alot of probs in soccer, including this one

The linesman was there, I was watchin the replays and couldnt understand how he wasnt seeing it. The guy was jumping out in the 6 yard box while the Sevilla players were taking their run ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really hate this, I don't understand why refs don't enforce this rule. Like it's an essential part of the game, how can they not enforce it!

It's not even that ****ing hard to do, it's easy to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I dont' see a lot wrong with it. Canizaries is class at it, he wrecks the strikers head. Its just a mental thing. Get the striker thinking about you and not teh penalty and its job done.

Your argument however about him coming off his line is miguided. You mention too keepers who have made an art of penalties. Palop and Reina. These are also two keepers that come a yard or two off their line during the players run up so technically they cheat also. It annoys me when keepers do this as it is in breach of the rules but all keepers do it and to stop doing it would make it a lot harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

iregk wrote: »
    all keepers do it and to stop doing it would make it a lot harder.
    Stopping cheating makes things harder?

No way!

To be honest I dont' see a lot wrong with it. Canizaries is class at it, he wrecks the strikers head. Its just a mental thing. Get the striker thinking about you and not teh penalty and its job done.

Your argument however about him coming off his line is miguided. You mention too keepers who have made an art of penalties. Palop and Reina. These are also two keepers that come a yard or two off their line during the players run up so technically they cheat also. It annoys me when keepers do this as it is in breach of the rules but all keepers do it and to stop doing it would make it a lot harder.

Are u serious? If u try to distract the kicker in rugby u get linched. Its unsportsmanlike.

I disagree about Reina and Palop, they dive forward rather than jump forward. And they both normally wait until the kick is taken to dive so they arent off their line. The Fener keeper was almost on the 6 yard line by the time the kick was taken for all of the penalties.

Of course it makes it harder. Thats the point. Saving penalties is a skill, distracting to striker is a cop out. Its like sayin "i cant save this unless i put him off cheaply". Spaguetti legging on the line, jumping up and down on the line etc are legitimate ways of putting off the kicker, that kind of crap isnt and has no place in the game, its cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

DesF wrote: »
    Stopping cheating makes things harder?

No way!
    Quality contribution Des as usual :)
    Spaguetti legging on the line, jumping up and down on the line etc are legitimate ways of putting off the kicker, that kind of crap isnt and has no place in the game, its cheating.

I concur. Played in goal a small bit myself back in the day but was never into the 'rush the kicker' type of peno stopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

SantryRed wrote: »
    What really annoyed me about tht keeper was his blatant cheating for the peno's.
    He was clearly coming off his line for all the peno's before diving. Ref should of let a retake for the 2nd peno.

Yeah, the coming off the line was really bugging me in this game last night. I think he did it for every penalty.... If I was the Sevilla player, I would be asking for it to be re-taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

tbh, the three penalties he saved were abysmal, poorly struck and very close to him

and if a keeper moving about on his line or drinkin water puts you off, you shouldnt be taking a penalty in the first place

event wrote: »
    tbh, the three penalties he saved were abysmal, poorly struck and very close to him

and if a keeper moving about on his line or drinkin water puts you off, you shouldnt be taking a penalty in the first place

But if he comes off his line he makes the goal look smaller.
    So that could of been the reason for one or two of the poorly struck penos.

event wrote: »
    Thats irrelevant. its gamesmanship and it shouldnt be allowed. Yes the top players will (should) score anyway but it should be fair, on the line, no delaying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I take it nobody saw the Fenerbahce v Galatasaray derby at the weekend? There is no chance in hell I would mess with that PSYCHO.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I take it nobody saw the Fenerbahce v Galatasaray derby at the weekend? There is no chance in hell I would mess with that PSYCHO.

What he do?

SantryRed wrote: »
    What he do?

Was sent off in the 92nd minute after kneeing an opponent in the balls, having conceded a last minute winner.

Was sent off in the 92nd minute after kneeing an opponent in the balls, having conceded a last minute winner.

:D
    Sounds fair enough.
    He was awful last night for Sevilla's first two goals last night.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Are u serious? If u try to distract the kicker in rugby u get linched. Its unsportsmanlike.

you might get linched afterwards but you can run towards the kicker once he starts his run up to the ball, which is a different rule to soccer where a goal keeper must stay on the line when the player is running up to the ball.

gucci wrote: »
    you might get linched afterwards but you can run towards the kicker once he starts his run up to the ball, which is a different rule to soccer where a goal keeper must stay on the line when the player is running up to the ball.

Yes but thats within the laws of the game whereas coming off your line isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Thats irrelevant. its gamesmanship and it shouldnt be allowed. Yes the top players will (should) score anyway but it should be fair, on the line, no delaying.

tbh i see it the same as players slowing down their runs, like ronaldo or aldridge used to do

• Advertisement

Yes but thats within the laws of the game whereas coming off your line isnt.

That was my point actually, the initial poster above i think thought it was illegal to rush a kicker in rugby, i was pointing out it was legal under certain conditions.

*edit* the initial post was by you, oops! i guess you know what you were trying to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I disagree about Reina and Palop, they dive forward rather than jump forward.

Have you actually ever watching Reina save a penalty? He jumps forward on the run up then does his actual dive from about a yard or two off the line as the ball is struck. Is that not cheating?

Have you actually ever watching Reina save a penalty? He jumps forward on the run up then does his actual dive from about a yard or two off the line as the ball is struck. Is that not cheating?

I hadnt noticed him do that, and its not as if I have my Liverpool blinkers on since Im a United fan. If he does what u dexribe there, then yes its cheating and the ref should enforce it.

On the topic of goalkeepers I was hugely impressed with Neuer of Schalke last night. Pulled off some unbelievable saves during the game and the second penalty save was out of this world.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

On the topic of goalkeepers I was hugely impressed with Neuer of Schalke last night. Pulled off some unbelievable saves during the game and the second penalty save was out of this world.

QFT. The first penalty-save was quite comfortable really, but the second one was the best I've ever seen. Heard the commentators compare him to Schmeichel (my goalkeeping hero) for some of the saves in normal time too.

I missed the shoot-out on Tuesday night, but judging from this thread it seems I picked the better one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

When I saw this thread I didn't think it would be about the penos, I thought it would be how awful he was during the 90 minutes! Seriously, I think I really laughed out loud for Alves' free kick and even more so for the Keita goal.

lol, wasn't there 4 red cards and 14 yellows or something? And the English think they have intense derbies :D

lol, wasn't there 4 red cards and 14 yellows or something? And the English think they have intense derbies :D

Yeah but they weren't red cards for ridiculous challenges or anything, it was pathetic. One was when a player ducked as the ballboy threw the ball on the field (timewasting) and another was for the old "spectacles" jibe at the linesman. Great game nonetheless. Hakan Sukur still has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Watched it for the first time on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO68xoSvIA8

Have to say the penalties he saved were terribly taken, so no complaints there. Remember Dudek, old wobbly legs and handing the opposition the ball, taking his time to walk back and making them wait. It's gamesmanship and not against the rules. He was applying the pressure in a really tense moment. IMO opposition should be allowed rant and rave for kicks in rugby, would make for a more entertaining game. :D

Watched it for the first time on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO68xoSvIA8

Have to say the penalties he saved were terribly taken, so no complaints there. Remember Dudek, old wobbly legs and handing the opposition the ball, taking his time to walk back and making them wait. It's gamesmanship and not against the rules. He was applying the pressure in a really tense moment. IMO opposition should be allowed rant and rave for kicks in rugby, would make for a more entertaining game. :D

Gamesmanship (or Barthezmanship as I call it) is one thing, but coming off your line is actually against the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Remember Dudek, old wobbly legs and handing the opposition the ball, taking his time to walk back and making them wait. It's gamesmanship and not against the rules. He was applying the pressure in a really tense moment. IMO opposition should be allowed rant and rave for kicks in rugby, would make for a more entertaining game. :D

In my opinion the ref should just blow the whistle and let the kicker take the pen while the goalie is wandering back to his goal.

I hate goalies, pampered sissies the lot of them!! I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Gamesmanship (or Barthezmanship as I call it) is one thing, but coming off your line is actually against the rules.

Tell that to Mr Dudek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIPrGbsfvw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Wow Liverpool got away with murder.

DSB wrote: »
    Wow Liverpool got away with murder.

What in the shoot out or coming back from 3 goals down ? :D:D:D:D

Advertisement