Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanji book

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

A while back, I had a book on my computer (PDF) that went through a lot of the important kanji and kinda explained in prose form why they looked like they did. My machine here isn't set up for it, but it showed how 'rice field' became the symbol that it is, and then used that in conjunction with other kanji and explained how it came about.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? I'm trying to find the book again - the PDF I had wasn't exactly legal and my machine has since fried the h/d it was on, but I'd quite like to buy it if I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There are a number of books like this, and a popular one is 'Kanji Pict O Graphix'

Otherwise, a search for 'kanji' on amazon.com turns up a number of useful books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

FruitLover wrote: »
    Otherwise, a search for 'kanji' on amazon.com turns up a number of useful books.
    The problem is that I don't know what the book is called, but would recognise it if I saw the inside again, but none of the books I found on Amazon allow you to view the inside. So I was hoping that someone might have the book in their library and know exactly what I'm talking about.

It was filled with prose (not flashcards or anything like that) and it looked like the kanji themselves had been hand drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Just in case anyone's interested, the book I was looking for is this one:

Read Japanese Today

It's a fairly simple book that starts with simple kanji and builds them up so that you can see that even the most complicated looking thing can be broken down in to its parts and translated pretty easily. Top book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There seems to be a revised edition on the way

Advertisement