Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asked to delete corporate email from a mailbox

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,

I work for a small company in South Dublin. There is currently a power struggle taking place within the company between the two owners and their factions. I am the sole IT person. One faction is led by the 'CEO' and the other the 'Managing Director'. I should mention that the company comprises of less than 10 people.

I am told (by the CEO's side) that the CEO has authority over the Managing Director. Two days ago the MD (who is offsite) sent an email which critical of the CEO to everyone in the company. Almost everybody saw it and the contents are common knowledge within the company.

I was ordered by a director to delete the email from the inbox of an employee that hadnt seen it. I did this without much thought but have since questioned the legality of what I have done. I should also mention that I have made the MD aware (in confidence) of what happened, and there are multiple copies of the email in question so the person concerned has likely seen it anyway.

I have just heard that a formal disiplinery process must be in progress for a company to enter the inbox of an employee. Can anyone tell me if this is true and advise me of my rights and responsibilities regarding this situation?

While I wont do anything I consider morally repugnent, the fact is i really need the job. So I need to know when i can say no to them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Aside from the legalities you basically have to do whatever they ask. If it gets too much just find another job. There are lots of IT roles out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

"Can I have that in writing please plus the authorization from HR in line with Company Procedures"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 br_vide

thanks for the replies

Advertisement