Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find internal IP address

Options
  • 05-03-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hello I am a begginner to all this so I will try my best to expplain my situation.

i live in a block of student flats

I am trying to open up a port on the network.
    I am connected to the internal lan network via a cable

we were each assigned what i consider to be static ip addresses mine is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (i dont know if its dangerous to include the x's)
    before we could log in we had to enter this information into the ip4 properties of the lan connection along with subnet addresses etc.

I have managed to get into my router settings page
    It is at http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ I think this is the default gateway address

however after following the instructions to forward ports it asks me to enter my ip address in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    I think this may be what is considered an internal ip address but have no idea how to find out what mine is.

when i do ipconfig/all i just get my external ip.

thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you are in a block of student flats, surely you don't need a router and just connect to a RJ45 socket on your wall? - you should hav ebeing given a default gateway IP address too probably 87.192.2x0.2x1 or something.

Unless you are getting your broadband indepently you should not require a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Webmonkey wrote: »
    If you are in a block of student flats, surely you don't need a router and just connect to a RJ45 socket on your wall? - you should hav ebeing given a default gateway IP address too probably 87.192.2x0.2x1 or something.

Unless you are getting your broadband indepently you should not require a router.

Yes I dont have a router I am talking about the main router for the whole block.
    I do connect using a wire and the wall socket

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if its not your router you shouldn't be tampering with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ShoulderChip do not post anything like the above again and if it's not your router you should not be playing with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement