Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Skilled Migration Visa (Oz)

Options
  • 05-03-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to apply for one of these and it all seems a bit wishy washy online

has anyone does this?

does it take long?

costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

<snip> is the best website for visas online. It costs a fortune for skilled migration in Oz, €3500!
    Would you not just get a 1year working visa for €160 and try get sponsored whilst you are over there??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

supermouse wrote: »
    Would you not just get a 1year working visa for €160 and try get sponsored whilst you are over there??

Yep I didn't realize it was so expensive working visa is the way forward

cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're thinking of migrating, you need the Abroad forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

supermouse wrote: »
    <snip> is the best website for visas online. It costs a fortune for skilled migration in Oz, €3500!Would you not just get a 1year working visa for €160 and try get sponsored whilst you are over there??

I don't know where you were looking at costs but we applied last year and are due our visa any day now and we didn't pay that amount!!!
    I think we paid 1250 Euro for the whole family on the skilled 175 visa (it used to be the 136 visa).
    Of course there are other costs, like getting stuff notarised and posted, medicals etc but 3.5K is a bit much.
    Have a look at britishexpats.co.uk, very good for advice and info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Hey Man1
    Its from the visafirst website - here :
    http://www.visafirst.ie/australian_skilled_migrant_visa_FAQ.asp#faq20

Rip off alright huh?!

Wow thats a lot. :eek:
    We were considering using an agent like visafirst to arrange everything as there is a lot of paperwork involved but in the end we decided to do it our selves and we saved a lot. There is a lot of work to do with getting documents organised etc but it will be worth it as you will only pay what we paid (1250 EURO) if you do it alone.
    Lots do it without agent and I believe you only need one if your case is complicated but if you have the skills then its straightforward.
    BTW what do you do?
    The total cost to the australian government is 1250 EURO (2060 AUS) so the rest is for the agent.......2250 EURO:eek::eek:
    My advice is stay away from agents.
    Have you looked at http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32 it is great for advice and will help you along with the whole process.

or try here http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm looking at the 175 visa myself, just wondering did anybody who has gone through it get their skills assessed through the ACS (Australia Computer Society) and how was their experience of this? Reason I ask is that my original degree was not in IT, but I since have picked up a few certifications along the way - do you get any credit for these at all? Or for "irrevelevant" qualifications - of which I have many from years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

shoegirl wrote: »
    I'm looking at the 175 visa myself, just wondering did anybody who has gone through it get their skills assessed through the ACS (Australia Computer Society) and how was their experience of this? Reason I ask is that my original degree was not in IT, but I since have picked up a few certifications along the way - do you get any credit for these at all? Or for "irrevelevant" qualifications - of which I have many from years ago.

Hi Shoegirl,

We are aaplying for visa sub class 175 and are doing it ourselves, but we did find that www.liveinaustralia.com very helpful with answering any questions that we have.
    Its was worth the small fee, I think its about €80.00 for 30 days each day you are allowed 3 questions and they are very prompt.

Also the helped with the skills assement.

The process is long and can be complicated, eg. gathering all relevant paperwork.

Especially form 80.

If you need any further help just ask.

Good luck.

Regards
    Silverski

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm registered with them, I'm guessing that if I'm in any form of doubt I really need to use an agent or somebody with experience of the application system as it seems to be full of pitfalls. That crowd actually do a very good value package compared to some agents, who seem to be charging up to 2000 euro for their services :-( Still, I suppose its better than spending over 1500 euros yourself and then not getting a visa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DEREK 1975

My brother was trying to get the visa himself but he found the process involved so difficult that he gave up. He used visafirst.com and while they charge a fee for their service, he found them great - they did everything for him. They also took care of him when he landed there too with jobs, bank acc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

holy drag a thread up bat man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hmm, suspicous. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement