Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carlow forum

Options
  • 05-03-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

hi all

as raised by stick-dan yesterday there is no mod living in carlow over the carlow forum,

i know there are 3 south east mods, but even someone that can edit polls, keep an eye on things from there who's regualrly there would be beneficial in my point of view.

any opinions on this oh higher beings?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Don't think it really matters OP. How would it improve the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

flamegrill, Sully and Dub13... Just because they are not from Carlow, doesn't mean they can't "edit polls,[and] keep an eye on things". However, if you are looking for more input from them directly, why not PM them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh i suppose, i just thought it might be useful to have a carlow person with the local knowledge moderating .
    but yeh in hindsight it's probably not necessary

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id love to see someone local to step in and try make the forum active. stick-dan or patrick would be my choice, as the two seem to be regulars.

At the moment, its very quiet and anything that is reported one of us will respond. Myself and Dub are the only active mods, I do believe flame is away for an unkown amount of time.

Sully wrote: »
    Id love to see someone local to step in and try make the forum active. stick-dan or patrick would be my choice, as the two seem to be regulars.

At the moment, its very quiet and anything that is reported one of us will respond. Myself and Dub are the only active mods, I do believe flame is away for an unkown amount of time.

im quiet active over boards the last couple of years, and would like to try an inject some life into the forum, thats why i was asking about the carlow beers also to try and generate some interest.
    if flame is away is there a need for a new mod then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well id prefer to see it a bit busier before I made any offical recommendation. At the moment, a mod in Carlow seems pointless. You will be board of your tree :p

Well id prefer to see it a bit busier before I made any offical recommendation. At the moment, a mod in Carlow seems pointless. You will be board of your tree :p

ha hilarious:D

i asked could a poll be edited at 1pm today and its still the same.. is that not a South easts mod job to do?

also sully if anyone is drumming up business for the carlow forum id like to think I am, pm me with ideas if you like

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Id love to see someone local to step in and try make the forum active.

You don't have to be a Mod to do that.
    The forum is what the members make of it.
    If you wish to see it more active, then do what you think is necessary in order to make that happen.
    Moderators are only here to clean up the mess and keep the peace.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you wish to see it more active, then do what you think is necessary in order to make that happen.

Indeed. See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55314361&postcount=7 :)

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote: »
    i asked could a poll be edited at 1pm today and its still the same.. is that not a South easts mod job to do?

I never got that report. Did you click the Report button ya? Ill look into it, but PM the details. If im about and posting and reports are ignored PM me - I may have missed it or it may not have arrived!
    also sully if anyone is drumming up business for the carlow forum id like to think I am, pm me with ideas if you like

Ah ya ill think of a few ideas and send ya PM to help you out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't think a new mod on the Carlow forum is needed,between myself and Sully we have it well covered.If the forum was to get a lot more traffic then I am sure we can revisit the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Beruthiel wrote: »

Its true that a forum is what its members will make of it but in many of the smaller forums its nice to have a mod who will push things along when they are quiet. Many of the smaller microcommunities around boards would be dead if it were not for mods who take it upon themselves to keep things moving. You don't strictly need to be a mod to do this, but it helps.

cornbb wrote: »
    Its true that a forum is what its members will make of it but in many of the smaller forums its nice to have a mod who will push things along when they are quiet. Many of the smaller microcommunities around boards would be dead if it were not for mods who take it upon themselves to keep things moving. You don't strictly need to be a mod to do this, but it helps.

yeh thats my point cornbb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Dub13 wrote: »
    I don't think a new mod on the Carlow forum is needed,between myself and Sully we have it well covered.If the forum was to get a lot more traffic then I am sure we can revisit the idea.

here is my two cents on the matter. I am newish to boards compared to seasoned posters such as Patrick but i would consider myself an active user and i have tried every-time i have been on my local carlow board to push things along and get the momentum on important topics going. I would consider myself a regular contributor to the carlow board since my registration.

My point being anyway is that carlow may not have an active board like many in the boards.ie community and i am by no means saying our current mods don't contribute as i do converse with sully quiet a bit but it is my opinion that a board for a locality should be moderated by a local figure in that locality. More than one in cases of more popular boards.When it comes to local news and topics a moderator outside the locality cannot drive on a topic they are not associated or vaguely interested with. I recommend someone for the carlow mod position. Who it may be is for the powers that be. Patrick would not be a bad choice.

This is my opinion on the situation but i am not merely commenting on carlow as a sole subject i mean in general each county should have their own moderator. It is only right.

Meh.. I doubt a mod is really needed.. I think I have done less then 10 'mod' duties since I've been the Wexford mod and it is more active then the Carla' forum.

There are enough Cmods to keep it tidy..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

stick-dan wrote: »
    When it comes to local news and topics a moderator outside the locality cannot drive on a topic they are not associated or vaguely interested with. I recommend someone for the carlow mod position. Who it may be is for the powers that be. Patrick would not be a bad choice.

This is my opinion on the situation but i am not merely commenting on carlow as a sole subject i mean in general each county should have their own moderator. It is only right.
    In my opinion you shouldn't need a mod to drive on a topic, posters make the forum what it is not the mods.

Sherifu wrote: »
    In my opinion you shouldn't need a mod to drive on a topic, posters make the forum what it is not the mods.

totally agree but that only the case on the busier forums...you need someone to drive on the quiet forums...

Agree, but they don't have to be mods to do it.

yes, but that is not the job of the mod.

Mods clean up threads if crap is posted on them, get rid of spam and can be considered referees when things get heated.

It is not their job to drive on forums - I post a lot less now in the forums I mod since I now have to be impartial and thus I can't let certain users know what I really think of them!

• Advertisement

I post a lot less now in the forums I mod since I now have to be impartial and thus I can't let certain users know what I really think of them!
    Come on, spill the beans :p

i suppose but hey it was just a suggestion....take from it what you may...like basically me and patrick i am sure want to improve the carlow forum...and we are already regular posters too...

Well I think me and Dub agree.. there is hardly a point in giving anyone mod status when we are active and keep an eye out anyway. Push the forum, organise events and start some topics of interest to people.. it will attract more people visiting the forum if its some what active. Until it gets busy, I cant see any reason why the forum need a mod.

point taken on the mod thing :D

Advertisement