Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological Clocks!

Options
  • 05-03-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey Ladeez

Would you like kids?

If so how many?

What age do you think would be best to have them?

Would it matter if you were single?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont have a biological clock - so i am not sure what the question means:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Its when women get to the stage in their life when they start getting concerned about having children and not wanting to let it go to late... usually the early to mid 30's it occurs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Hey Ladeez - Hey!! :D

Would you like kids? - Yes - although the pain freaks the **** outta me. i just donr know how i'll ever get over that. maybe a cesaerian?

If so how many? 3 or 4. 4 max (depends how the fist birth goes, lol)

What age do you think would be best to have them? i always thought around 28-ish?? but lately i'm thinking later on like early thirties. (Coz i'm nearly 25 and 28 is scarily Close!!)

Would it matter if you were single? No. i would rather be attatched/Married, whatever but no, it wouldnt be the end of the world. i'd manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm only 24. It's not ticking yet. Give it another 5/6 years and I'll report back.

I do love baby clothes and things when I'm out shopping, they make me slightly broody. It scares the crap out of my OH! but then I hear kids screaming and i remember that I actually don't like kids that much. Once they get to the age of two I lose interest!

Em maybe when i'm 27/28 not too sure
    I want kids so bad but I have a fear of raising them that i'll do it wrong or something so that usually puts me off after the initial thoughts of "OMG Look at the baby" fawning I do.
    Meanwhile babysitting gives me practise also I would never get pregnant unless I was married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

watna wrote: »
    I'm only 24. It's not ticking yet. Give it another 5/6 years and I'll report back.

I do love baby clothes and things when I'm out shopping, they make me slightly broody. It scares the crap out of my OH! but then I hear kids screaming and i remember that I actually don't like kids that much. Once they get to the age of two I lose interest!

That's exactly how I feel! Word for Word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I helped out a lot with my younger brother and sister (now 15 & 17) (I'm 24) , I'd treat em like mine at times lol. So I've probably always been ready for a family.

I would prefer to have a partner yes, and I'd like 2 children max I'd go to is 4, but 2 is nice.
    Considering women are having babies into their 50/60s it's plausible to have your family at any point. But I'd like to have at least got the basics (house/partner/a baby) by 30ish. I want to make sure I'm young for most of their young life.

However if/when any of that might happen is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

well i may be male but i have one. hahaha
    found that as time goes on i yearn more and more and feel i want start now and as each day passes i dont want to be missing my chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Ok I hate kids the whole lark - would cross the street if I seen children playing
    but as I get older I'd like one myself
    I think Ill be one of those who ONLY likes their kids but doesnt like anyone elses. But my mother LOVES kids
    I cannot think that far ahead of how many - but one at a time
    BTW a baby crying is the best form of contraception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I've never wanted kids but I'm afraid that I'll get all broody in about ten years (I'm 23 now). If I was going to have them I'd like to do it by my mid-thirties seeing as conception and pregnancy are supposed to get pretty difficult after 35. My ma had me when she was 36 and my da was 33 -- he said he'd rather have had kids younger so he'd have more energy to deal with them!

A friend of mine had a kid when she was 16, which usually wouldn't seem like the best plan, but seven years later herself and the father are still together, due to a supportive family she didn't lose out on any education (nearly finished her masters now) and by the time the kid is 20 and theoretically self-sufficient she'll only be 36, sounds like the way to do it to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I would love kids but I just not that good with babies and worry that I would be a crap Mum to one. I think I would make a great mum to kids (ie 3 plus) but as for babies, I'm scared and even my sister will tell you that I was crap with their children when they were babies so I don't know!

Quality wrote: »
    Its when women get to the stage in their life when they start getting concerned about having children and not wanting to let it go to late... usually the early to mid 30's it occurs..

feck, i am 33, where would one find these biological clock things :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

irishbird wrote: »
    feck, i am 33, where would one find these biological clock things :confused:
    me too and no tick tocking yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'm 28 and mine can tick tick away, maybe I should see if I can sell it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

31 this year.... that's my age, not how many kids i want. Don't have any, don't want any. I have my nieces/nephews to sort out any broodiness that I have.

I can see why people have children but it's just not for me. Sometimes I feel a little sad knowing that I wont have kids and maybe I might regret it, but my feelings haven't changed up to now so I reckon I should be ok with it later on in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm 37. I'd love to have a child in 5 years or so. I have a 7 year old knocking around here somewhere, who whould be old enough to mind it then. :D

also I would never get pregnant unless I was married.

Famous last words.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Famous last words.

Who's going to organise the Baby Shower?

Your doomed girl, DOOMED!!

Ok then

also I would never PLAN TO get pregnant unless I was married.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Would you like kids? Yes definitely, I'd be gutted if I was to find out now that I couldn't have kids.

If so how many? 2 maybe 3..but I have a thing about odd numbers hehe, 4...that'd be a nice number but I'd fear they'd fight alot or I'd have 3 boys and 1 girl and they'd be mean to her!!

What age do you think would be best to have them? Dunno i'm only 21 now... very late 20's or In my early 30's

Would it matter if you were single? Yes, it would matter to me. I would prefer to be married and living with my partner because I doubt i'd be able to cope alone! I would like to be living in my own house at that stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Orlee wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel! Word for Word!

and you wanted a pet meerkat like me.

Wow, maybe we're secretly adopted identical twins! Are you coming to the beers on the 4th April?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd love 3 or 4 kids.

I don't think there's any best age to have them, I can't imagine there ever being a 'right time', it'll be right whenever I have them. My mam was a child minder so I've always had kids and babies around, well used to them. I'm well aware however that it's different having your own, I always loved to hand them back and have a good nights sleep!

I'd much rather having kids with a long term partner / husband. It's a hard job raising kids alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

watna wrote: »
    Wow, maybe we're secretly adopted identical twins!

Postman ftw.

Ladies do you think that it will have an impact on your ability to communicate with these children when they are teenagers and you are hiting 50?

I can't envisage myself wanting to be in a LTR at the moment.....nevermind pregnant.
    But I am a very family orientated person, and I would be terribly unfulfilled if I hadn't my own.

I feel that happiness in life comes from quality interaction with people.
    Rather than material possessions or career achievements.
    So the more kids the merrier. Although I'm not very organised, so anything over six would probably go Lord of the Flies on me.

I've always said I never wanted to have them before I was 35.
    But I'm aware that it isn't easy to concieve as you get older.
    If I was in the right relationship, I would probably have my fertility tested come 30. And consider bringing it forward depending on the results.

If I got pregnant when I was single....no question about it.
    But would I go down the sperm donor route. I don't know.
    Im not too fussed on having biological children, although obviously its usually the easiest option.
    If adoption/fostering was an option, I might wait past my prime for the right partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am 28 and have an 8yo and 2yo, I would like to have my next baby within the next year or so (if all goes to plan), so that I will be finished having my kids by the time I am 30. I dont want to have too much of an age gap between them..

Originally I had the famous last words of - Children, eh no thanks.. But I must say, its the best thing I have ever done..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

If you had asked me these questions seven or eight years ago I would have said - kids? Are you mad? No way? Never had a maternal bore in my body.

But, as I am now 33, something strange has happened. I want one. If somebody could give me one tomorrow, I'd be delighted!

I was also of that "I won't get pregnant until I get married" frame of mind, but after ten years together with my partner that doesn't bother me either anymore!!!

I would like at least two and then we'd see how things were going!!!

Quality wrote: »
    Originally I had the famous last words of - Children, eh no thanks.. But I must say, its the best thing I have ever done..

+1

Everything beforehand pales into insignificance once you have a babby. Weird. Mother Nature doing the do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Would you like kids? I have one already \o/

If so how many? 3 or 4.

What age do you think would be best to have them? I had my first when I was 25. Ideally, I'd like another before I turn 30.

Would it matter if you were single? Not really, no. Obviously it is better to have the support of a partner, but you don't have to be in a relationship to have children. Its a lot of work on your own, though.

Niamho! wrote: »
    Would you like kids? - Yes - although the pain freaks the **** outta me. i just donr know how i'll ever get over that. maybe a cesaerian?

You won't believe me, but you forget the pain. You remember it hurt, but you don't remember the actual pain.

Oh, and a vaginal birth is much, much better for you and baby in the long run than a caesarean section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I can see the appeal on one hand of having kids. I dreamt the other night that I had a baby and in the dream it was the deadliest thing ever. But then on the other hand:

Pregnancy - jaysus
    Childbirth - jaysus x 1 million
    Babies - new parents always look as if they're about to die from lack of sleep
    Children - alright for about half an hour and then my brain starts to hurt (I was an only child and I'm just not used to dealing with them)
    Teenagers - don't start me
    College students - there's a good chance anyone with my genes is going to want to spend years and years getting letters after their name and draining me dry in the process

So in summary, while the instinctive part of me kind of wants kids, the rest absolutely doesn't.

• Advertisement

i am far too old to have children now, so my biological clock must be broken

Advertisement