Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological Clocks!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Late 30s early 40s are the danger stage for a womon to have children although their are exceptions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

In no rush at the mo..... only 26 years young! ;)
    Would like at least two kids but no more than 4.
    Would rather be married, but thats more to do with the fact that I'd like someone else there to halve repsonsibility of worrying about the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

embee wrote: »
    You won't believe me, but you forget the pain. You remember it hurt, but you don't remember the actual pain.

I agree with Embee, Its pain with a purpose, Once the labour is over so are the pains...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Asok wrote: »
    You really should not leave it past 35 really otherwise you are playing >snip< roulette.

Nice.

Quality wrote: »
    I agree with Embee, Its pain with a purpose, Once the labour is over so are the pains...

Yes I heard the body emits a hormone that makes you forget so your not put off procreation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

My mum has my eldest brother at 20 and youngest at 39, with 4 more of us in between.
    I'm 33 this year, and when I met my partner I told him out straight that if we were still together in a couple of years I'd want kiddies. We agreed on 32, I turned 32 last year, we got engaged, are getting married in August and will start trying straight away.
    Yes I want them, clock ticking for quite a while now
    I want at least 3 probably won't have time for more than 4
    Biologically the right age is late teens, but reality is your 20's, I'll be in my 30's not ideal but better than having had babies with some of my exes.
    I would have gone down the single mother route if I hadn't met the right man, I struck lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Would you like kids? One day, far, far, far away....my nieces and nephew have put me off for a long time. Little fookers (I love them really!)

If so how many? Maybe 3.

What age do you think would be best to have them? Early to mid thirties, I'd like to live a little bit more before all of that settling down business.

Would it matter if you were single? I'd rather have a partner, couldn't imagine having a child and not having the love of my life around to share it all with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

hate kids so don't want any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Asok wrote: »
    You really should not leave it past 35 really otherwise you are playing >snip< roulette.

Thats the main worry apart from being an old parent brining up babies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

ztoical wrote: »
    hate kids so don't want any

Hmmm....can't say I'm a huge fan of them myself....even with my nephew and nieces, they're hilarious and I can see how much joy they bring my sister but I'd be happier with a few dogs to be honest, I'm much more of an animal person. Current beau doesn't really like kids either. Score ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

latchyco wrote: »
    Thats the main worry apart from being an old parent brining up babies .

exactly i would consider myself too old now to have kids plus the fact, i could afford them. it would be a case of one of us not eating or getting clothes etc. and it wont be me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

mine is ticking big time.
    I'm nearly 28
    i have a 6yr old daughter
    with my current boyfriend for a yr and a half..cant wait to have more kids, but dont want to pressure the poor guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

irishbird wrote: »
    exactly i would consider myself too old now to have kids plus the fact, i could afford them. it would be a case of one of us not eating or getting clothes etc. and it wont be me

It's the money thing that always gets me too. If i had a baby I'd have to spend my hard earned yoyos on nappies instead of lipsticks and shoes. I'm too selfish for that at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I dont like children. I am not maternal and I plan to stay childless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I have a ten year old. I was married and thought there'd be more.
    We separated nearly 7 years ago now and I honestly thought I'd have met someone and had more.
    Instead I met someone who has some :) We've plenty between us, but I will always wish there had been another along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ivicia

I just cannot undertsand the gooing and gaaing over other peoples babies. I doono how many time soemone has jumped in front of me to announce

"Mary just had a little girl 11 pounds etc - 10 fingers 10 toes etc etc.

ME I generally "oh thats nice - who's Mary again" ?
    JUMPER "oh she on the 3rd floor, works with Joan"
    ME " who's Joan"
    JUMPER "oh she has blond hair secreatry to so and so and she had a baby girl last year"

Goes on and on.....I really don't care...

This thread should be reopened every 3 years to see how many of the young wans who are never having kids end up having kids. My reckoning is about 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I agree peared,

and again maybe in ten years time.. for those who say they wont start there family till they are in their 30's and then plan to have 3 or 4.

I suppose I would have wanted kids at some stage I could not imagine being old and grey and having no one to come and visit me in the home I end up in..

irishbird wrote: »

Didn't you say your like 33?
    The average first time mother is 32....well at least in my county.

It is one thing not wanting kids, but if I was working my ass off and I/we honestly couldn't afford a kid...I'd quit and sit on the dole for the rest of life.
    The point of working is to be able to have a decent quality of life, not just make money for your bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

I would love to have children - just have to find a boyfriend/hubby first :D. Getting worried now because i'll be 28 this year. As for how many, I'd be happy with however many I'm blessed with - even if it's only the one.

- not trying to be too dramatic but a person could say how many they would love to have ideally, but can end up finding it difficult to have that target range when it comes to the likes of difficulty in getting pregnant. In my line of work we used to deal with couples who were adopting from abroad - if you could only have witnessed how they were so desperate for that child to be one of their own, after trying for a biological one for so long.

I'll actually give you a story of one - we once had a couple who after having experienced 10 miscarraiges they decided to adopt a child of a few months of age from abroad, half way through the adoption process they discovered the child in question had a twin - so they came to the decision to adopt both to save seperating them. So they bring the twins back for a medical review from our boss and as they were saying their goodbyes she informed us that she was 4 months pregnant herself with would you believe Twins. Life works in the most mysterious of ways!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Oh my clock is ticking so loudly... Just wish the RIGHT man would come along to have them with. Would be happy with 2 healthy child, thrilled with 2 and estatic with 3.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My clock is making precisely no noise whatsoever, and I'm 31.

As for whether or not you can communicate with your teenagers in your 50s, the prospect doesn't phase me. My mother had me when she was 44 (I was the nice surprise baby :D). The only time I wish my mother had been younger is now, when I'm in my early 30s, looking at a mom who turns 75 in April and wishing for both our sakes that she'd been 10 years younger.

Life just happens later for people these days. It takes ages longer to get on the housing ladder and get the usual responsibilities for life, so if you're planning a pregnancy it usually comes after "a job" and "somewhere to live" and "a partner". Years ago you could have a job and a home and be married in your early twenties. Now it's more likely to happen in your early 30s, so we're all running 10 years behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Would you like kids?: Eventually definitely!

How many: Ideally three, two girls and a boy, but I hear you can't plan that >_>

How old would you be having kids?: I'd like to have kids young, maybe mid to late twenties, but then the thought of only having ten years left without that major responsibility is scary!

As for having a kid outside of a relationship, I'm not one for sleeping with randomers so that'd be unlikely to happen, but if it happened after a fling or with someone who I broke up with I guess I'd have to just take responsibility for the consequences, I'd make myself cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Yes I heard the body emits a hormone that makes you forget so your not put off procreation

Good old seratonin \o/

Put it this way - if childbirth was really as terrible as the scaremongers out there would have you believe, everyone in the world would be an only child. Fact is, it isn't that bad. A lot of the people who say its terrible have 3 or 4 kids, ffs.

Ideally, women should be having children in their early to mid twenties. That is the best physical time to be doing it. We might be living longer, but the fertility window isn't really growing at the same rate, and if you do decide to have children in your mid to late thirties, then Asok has a point - you are playing roulette, both with your own health and the health of any children you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Quality wrote: »

Would you like kids??
    Yes
    If so how many?
    2 or 3
    I'd love to have 2 boys and a girl, and if I could be even more specific, I would love a boy, and then 2 years later I would love to have boy and girl twins :)
    What age do you think would be best to have them?
    For me it will be around 30+. I'll be married a few years by then, so it'll gimme a nice honeymoon period before we start a family.
    Would it matter if you were single?
    Well, I'm not single, but if I was I don't think I'd try to get pregnant because my 'biological clock' was ticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Peared wrote: »
    This thread should be reopened every 3 years to see how many of the young wans who are never having kids end up having kids. My reckoning is about 90%

a thread similar to this is usually started every year and every year I say the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jackz wrote: »
    Postman ftw.

Ladies do you think that it will have an impact on your ability to communicate with these children when they are teenagers and you are hiting 50?

I think yes, but then I think my Mam was 55 when I was 16. It's her 65th birthday today, try to guess my age now :p.
    I definately think the generation gap would be too large for a 60 year old and a teenager.
    My clock is ticking but I don't want kids now. I don't want them when I am much older either. I am certainly not clucky or broody. babies disgust me. I have no money, house or stability at the moment and I don't want to leave the having children thing until it's too late.

Nightwish wrote: »
    a thread similar to this is usually started every year and every year I say the same thing.

And quite possibly you always will. But allow the possibility that you might change your mind. A lot can happen in 10 years. Fact is, most women who say they dont want kids end up having them. Not all, mind, but most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I can understand the point people are making about there being too large an age cap between some parents and their children, but I still wouldn't allow this point to hurry me into starting a family.
    I don't feel ready to have children now, so having one, for the sake of reducing the age gap, would not be very fair of me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was talking to a young Mother recently about this type of thing and she said sometimes or a lot of the time you can just get pregnant and not plan it. When that happens you manage to adapt, no matter what your financial or other situations are. I think I am past the age now where I would consider hopping on the first boat to England.

Advertisement