Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athiests : How did you loose you're faith?

Options
  • 05-03-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sticky!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I never had one!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Was raised a Catholic with communion, confirmation, confession and all that (my mother is a real believer) but when I got old enough to think for myself I just realised i didn't believe in any of it. It makes no sense to me.
    The whole string of Catholic child abuse scandals and the existence of lots of other religions didn't help either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

never had it in the first place, social conditioning only.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Xhristy wrote: »

By thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

* ahem *

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115951

Fun and all as the new spelling is, this is the same thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Sometimes I think religions were the work of an deamhain to keep people away from God.

Maybe think perhaps that even though every man-made earthbound religion is a complete and utter failure, that this does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that there is not a divine principle (a summum bonum) at work in the universe.

When betimes people are asked if they believe in God and immediately starting ranting about the failures of earthbound man-made religions, it's not addressing the question.

If a could draw a Venn diagram I would have God in one circle and religion in another another maybe a tiny sliver joining the two sets - to represent the tiny number of truly spiritual people (mystics) to be found in each.

So leave out religion and think about whether there's an unfulfilled need or yearning in your life and consider whether perhaps it's a God-shaped hole in your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Science

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Obviously people are post-ironic or past-caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I realised there must be no god when people began to can type out sentences like "Athiests : How did you loose you're faith?" and not get struck down by a literate passerby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought it was the hip way to ask the question. You know, like:

"How did you loose you're faith, man?"

"Well daddio, I be jivin' with this Dawkins cat and, man, he like totally blew my mind. Ya dig?"

"Word!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I grew up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

Ws lucky enough to be brought up a non-beleiver, with the occassional sham confirmation/communion to keep the grandparents happy.

I remember my poor old granny trying to slip me prayer books and stuff behind by mothers back to save my soul. I pretended I'd read them to keep her happy.

Even at 7 or 8 I could plainly see it was nonsense. At 10 I remember testing this by spitting on a statue of the big C and telling him to go **** himself, to see if anything bad would happen to me as a result. Of course it didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Xhristy wrote: »
    I hit my early teenage years, and heard this tune
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H13tgpcfaTw&feature=related
    Then I found out there was more to life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Copy and paste from other thread........

I never really had any faith to begin with... I was of course baptised, took communion, and was confirmed, and attended mass most Sundays with my parents. Nothing ever struck a cord with me when I was in church, and I demanded that when I turn 16 I wouldnt go anymore. I think I was actually 15 when I stopped going though... It wasnt a big deal anyway.

It was around when I was 15 or 16 that I started asking questions (internally) about religion, the universe, existance, all that sorta sh*te... I think what made me start to explore the arguments for atheism was the way that the idea of religion fits so neatly in with human psychology.

We don´t know where the universe etc. came from, so god must have done it. I also started thinking about all the different religions, and how they cant all be right. And then I started thinking about ancient civilisations like the Greeks, and how they had a god of the sun, moon and stars, and that these kind of gods arent even considered nowadays by most of us, because we understand these things. Put 2 and 2 together and it becomes apparant that humans feel the need to project divine characteristics onto things which they dont understand.

The other thing that got me thinking was the notion of an afterlife. Death is the ultimate human fear, because of the idea that we just cease to exist. We lose our consciousness and then just like that, we´re gone. Makes you feel a bit uneasy about getting old, doesn´t it? BAM! Let´s throw an afterlife in there. Now when you die you continue to live, just not on earth. You go up to your deceased relatives and pets, and everyone else will meet you up in heaven in due course. Sounds great.

Those were the main things that got me thinking about religion, and made me start to explore the options.

Also, Just to clarify because I know some people like to simplify things by saying that most atheists are just that way because of a bad experience with a church, the priest touched them once too often, etc.
    I have had no strong contact with any church. I was baptised and confirmed like most people, and I went to a catholic primary and secondary school, and thats about where my religious contact ends. I went to mass on Sundays and didnt like it, also like most children. Religion had a rather benign influence on my life.

I simply do not believe because I do not think it makes any sense. I talk about it and argue about it because I do not think it makes any sense, yet it continues to be believed by millions. If millions believed that the earth was flat, then I would argue about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

At the risk of being pedantic, the word is lose, not loose. Unless you see Faith as a wild animal that I might have left off the leash... :cool:

My mother dragged me to Catholic church as a kid, but that's not necessarily faith, is it? I was an altar boy, which was a bit like being on the stage. I stopped going after she died, just before I turned 13, because she was no longer there to push me in that direction. Faith? I honestly can't remember Believing, with a capital B, at any time - in other words, I doubt that I ever had genuine Faith in the sense you mean.

stereoroid wrote: »
    At the risk of being pedantic, the word is lose, not loose. Unless you see Faith as a wild animal that I might have left off the leash... :cool:
    Indeed, and "you're" should be "your", however the (pointless) thread title was a jibe at those who are grammatically bereft, but opinion rich.

Spawned from this thread I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Praying related knee injury

Lost the power to kneel without asking myself why:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    Ws lucky enough to be brought up a non-beleiver, with the occassional sham confirmation/communion to keep the grandparents happy.

I remember my poor old granny trying to slip me prayer books and stuff behind by mothers back to save my soul. I pretended I'd read them to keep her happy.

Even at 7 or 8 I could plainly see it was nonsense. At 10 I remember testing this by spitting on a statue of the big C and telling him to go **** himself, to see if anything bad would happen to me as a result. Of course it didnt.
    oh you think you got away with it, but after you die, you're gonna BURN FOR ALL ETERNITY IN HELL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Dades wrote: »
    Indeed, and "you're" should be "your", however the (pointless) thread title was a jibe at those who are grammatically bereft, but opinion rich.
    Yeah, I got that, just didn't read the threads in that order. The other errors are so common now, that if i was to point them out every time I'd go mad.

Words aren't just sounds, people, they have meanings - and the meanings of "here" and "hear" are almost completely unrelated to each other. I have no idea how people can make these mistakes: my guess is that they use words based on the sounds, and not on what they mean. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Get over it and move on with your life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

funny-pictures-kitten-soul-escapes.jpg

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

armour87 wrote: »
    Science

thats funny. Science is pushing me in the other direction. Things are too perfect to have formed by chance especially when you look at things on a sub atomic level. Maybe in a few years we'll catch god in a test tube. heh

c0rk3r wrote: »
    thats funny. Science is pushing me in the other direction. Things are too perfect to have formed by chance especially when you look at things on a sub atomic level. Maybe in a few years we'll catch god in a test tube. heh

Well then what created the creator? See we can go round in circles all day long on these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

" Things are too perfect to have formed by chance "

They didnt form by "chance", they formed by the process of evolution, which is anything but mere chance.

Read some books about it and you'll see what I mean.

c0rk3r, there's a big thread here which includes much talk about how "chance" is not a factor in evolution.

That notion is a pre-conception that has somehow got stuck in peoples' heads, and invariably finds it's way to the fore when a creator is touted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I was a pretty strong Christian up until I was about 20, I was doing a science course and I never felt it and religion were mutually exclusive. One day a friend recommended for me to read The Selfish Gene and when I finished I realised that this was a book that came far closer to giving a meaning behind life than the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Ive no interest in biology (well except metabolism,thats awesome) or evolution. Ive studied the process and know the theory and wasnt talking about it above. Im talking of course about the mecca of science that is chemistry. Chemical structure, atomic orbitals, crystal/ligand field theory as regards bonding, mechanisms and chemically reaction,s organometalic compounds and the precision, complexity and beauty involved in it, Quantum mechanics, electrons as waves and mass. schrodingers cat.

Slightly change anything and life wouldnt exist on earth. Too many variables

"Science is pushing me in the other direction".

• Advertisement

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Ive no interest in biology (well except metabolism,thats awesome) or evolution. Ive studied the process and know the theory and wasnt talking about it above. Im talking of course about the mecca of science that is chemistry. Chemical structure, atomic orbitals, crystal/ligand field theory as regards bonding, mechanisms and chemically reaction,s organometalic compounds and the precision, complexity and beauty involved in it, Quantum mechanics, electrons as waves and mass. schrodingers cat.

Slightly change anything and life wouldnt exist on earth. Too many variables

"Science is pushing me in the other direction".

Complex things typically come from simple things. To say that a divine creator made everything is to say that something complex made something else complex - you still have to explain how the creator came to be.

Advertisement