Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting software

• 05-03-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hello, I am working for a non profit organization and have been asked to research an open source accounting package. Our accountant has recommended we use 'big red book' but our organization doesen't have the money that costs to buy this software - i think approx €700. I have come across one called 'turbocash' but i don't know anything about it. Basicaly our org provides information in the 'home care ' area and we just want to keep tabs on incomings and outgoings - nothing fancy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

i'd just go with excel spreadsheets if i was you, big red book is a waste of money in my opinion. Sage instant accounts is around 250euro iirc which aint bad if you really need to get software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Katuxuni,

I have worked in this areas for many years.

A few questions for you:

1. What do you what the software to do? Is it just debtors and creditors ? What about general ledger, order processing, stock control, fixed assets?

2. How many invoices per month ? (Debtors & creditors)? How many customers/suppliers do you have? Any other relevant volumes?

3. What are you currently using for your accounts ? I.e are you currently computerised.

Answer the above and I can help more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Big red Book is easy to use and €700 seems reasonable. Other than that use excel spreadsheets are fine as long as you use them correctly. Ask your accountant to set up a template for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gary Toolan

I've tried all the cheap/free ones and keep coming back to Visual accounts - about £UK40 - idiotproof to use, but only single entry. 45day free trial available. All entries are either Receipts, Payments, Invoices or Bills - even I understand that!

If you need or understand doubleentry accounting try Microsoft Accounting Express - I know using anything MS goes against the grain!, but its free! It seems to have all the bells & whistles of the Pro version (as far as I would need, except € sign) and works on D/e principles.

Quickbooks Simple Start is free (from US website) but DOES NOT handle purchases, otherwise ok if you can live with $ sign instead of €.

Businessware is excellent, but d/e again, but very customiseable and only about £UK60 - free trial available. New version due shortly, free to recent buyers.

Turbocash was impossibly obscure - gave up after about 12hrs of headscratching!

Any further questions, please let me know,
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katuxini

dewsbury wrote: »
    Katuxuni,

I have worked in this areas for many years.

A few questions for you:

1. What do you what the software to do? Is it just debtors and creditors ? What about general ledger, order processing, stock control, fixed assets?

2. How many invoices per month ? (Debtors & creditors)? How many customers/suppliers do you have? Any other relevant volumes?

3. What are you currently using for your accounts ? I.e are you currently computerised.

Answer the above and I can help more.
    Thanks for your detailed response.
    Basically it is a small organization. Everything is done by hand and passed onto our accountant who subsequently computerises everything
    We invoice individuals and companies who sponsor us, other than that we pay bills , electricity , rent, post, insurance, health and safety.
    Our wages are done by an app. called 'thesaurus'. I will get more information to answer your questions in detail. In the meantime i will find out in what format our accountant needs our accounts (maybe that's not important - i don't know). if you could provide me with your email address - i could get back to you when i have more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 katuxini

I've tried all the cheap/free ones and keep coming back to Visual accounts - about £UK40 - idiotproof to use, but only single entry. 45day free trial available. All entries are either Receipts, Payments, Invoices or Bills - even I understand that!

If you need or understand doubleentry accounting try Microsoft Accounting Express - I know using anything MS goes against the grain!, but its free! It seems to have all the bells & whistles of the Pro version (as far as I would need, except € sign) and works on D/e principles.

Quickbooks Simple Start is free (from US website) but DOES NOT handle purchases, otherwise ok if you can live with $ sign instead of €.

Businessware is excellent, but d/e again, but very customiseable and only about £UK60 - free trial available. New version due shortly, free to recent buyers.

Turbocash was impossibly obscure - gave up after about 12hrs of headscratching!

Any further questions, please let me know,
    Gary

Thanks Gary
    I now have a valuable and practical list of software . When i have more info from my organization on exactly what they need to do - i will have a fair idea on which route to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I have read the description of what you do.

At this point I would say that the most relevant question is "How Many Invoices Do you Issue per month".

If you have more than fifty then it is worth using accounting software. If you have less than 20 or 30 then it might be more trouble than it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Sage Line 50 has a charities module and it does sorp and sofa categories and fund analysis. If you are a charity/not for profit they will give you 30% off too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Sorry to drag this from the Abyss, just wanted to say thanks to Gary for the
    Businessware tip, reasonable price, very nice interface and easy to use.
    this is the way all software should be designed.
    Only drawback i see with it is having to manually enter the Customer Reference, would prefer it to auto generate this as it can be a pain, but i emailed them to see if there's a work around.

okee

Advertisement