Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2008

• 05-03-2008 2:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With mod approval

could we post any thoughts and bets we have in this thread or do we have to take ourselves over the Horse Racing forum?

I know it has been debated that this is a gambling forum so anything goes but I just want the mods to give their approval as I believe it will be a busy thread over the Cheltenham week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Theres mods in here??? ;)

Yeah I always maintain that if you want to chat about a horses saddle or a trainer or whatever, off to the horse racing forum. If you want to chat about gambling on horse racing, to the gambling forum.

But thats only me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭DirtyLeeds

Put your bollocks on Psycho to win the County Hurdle on the friday of the festival

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

DirtyLeeds wrote: »
    Put your bollocks on Psycho to win the County Hurdle on the friday of the festival
    Post of the day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I like it here... I'm not a fan of the HR forum, to serious for me...

Well anyway, i've got one tip so far, it's for Harchibald in the Champion Hurdle on the 11th... he's running at 7.8 at the mo but I presume this will drop closer to the time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'll be throwing the crazy semi-psychic tips from the Paranormal Forum up on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

jameshayes wrote: »
    Well anyway, i've got one tip so far, it's for Harchibald in the Champion Hurdle on the 11th... he's running at 7.8 at the mo but I presume this will drop closer to the time..

I like the horse but 1 big question mark over it. It always looks like it has a lot in hand coming to the last few furlongs but when the button is pressed he fails to deliver a lot of the time and dont think it will like the hill in Cheltenham. Might have a few bob on it e/w though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

I hate the horse & wont be backing him. I would be of the opinion that you could get much better value for your money.

FWIW I think that if Sizing Europe runs like he did in the AIG he will win and win well.

My two ante post bets are

Captain Cee Bee @ 14's in the Supreme Novices

and a treble of
    Kauto, Ingles Drever & Sweet Kiln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I for one, think this should be moved to the HR forum. I don't believe there should be any horse racing threads outside of that forum. It is after all dedicated to Horse Racing....I assumed this forum was set up for non-HR gambling.

For instance the "tip" for Harchibald. There's no mention of even why you were advised to back it. Better to put it up in HR and ask for considered opinions (not that WH BOnney & Will1977's weren't considered). Also to suggest that the price of 7.8 will shorten? 7.8 is the equivalent of 13/2 (after commission). 13/2 is already available on a non-runner no bet situation. Harchibald was withdrawn close to Cheltenham last year if I remember correctly. And 7/1 is available with Coral at time of writing also non-runner-money-back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Brian you make a good point and the reason I want mod approval

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

badbrian wrote: »
    I for one, think this should be moved to the HR forum. I don't believe there should be any horse racing threads outside of that forum. It is after all dedicated to Horse Racing....I assumed this forum was set up for non-HR gambling.

For instance the "tip" for Harchibald. There's no mention of even why you were advised to back it. Better to put it up in HR and ask for considered opinions (not that WH BOnney & Will1977's weren't considered). Also to suggest that the price of 7.8 will shorten? 7.8 is the equivalent of 13/2 (after commission). 13/2 is already available on a non-runner no bet situation. Harchibald was withdrawn close to Cheltenham last year if I remember correctly. And 7/1 is available with Coral at time of writing also non-runner-money-back.

I agree

Also the Horse racing forum is dying slowly as lots of the punters have headed over to letsbet.ie/forum

chump wrote: »
    I agree

Also the Horse racing forum is dying slowly as lots of the punters have headed over to letsbet.ie/forum
    I am going way off topic but if the Horse racing forum is dying as you say then maybe join the 2 forums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

i will be doing a 4 horse e/way accum for 100-200 yo yos - at least this way it limits possible losses and could possibly land a very big score........now off to study some form

i will be doing a 4 horse e/way accum for 100-200 yo yos - at least this way it limits possible losses and could possibly land a very big score........now off to study some form

Let us know your selection !?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I would prefer it taken to the Horse racing forum, as when I became mod of this forum the feeling I got was that most people would prefer if this was a non horse gambling forum. There is still the odd thread on horses, and I have left one big 'tip for a nag' thread alone, and dependent on content moved some others.

Personally I don't really mind if there is racing tips privided, but the fact that if a precedent is set then it might become a flood of threads about them. Also, threads about which horses to back, good tips etc, already happen in the Horse Racing forum, so it would be better I think to keep it there to be honest.

If you really want to discuss racing here during Cheltenham, then confine it to the 'Tip for a Nag' thread. If there is a lot of feeling against this then it is the type of thing that can be open to discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

DirtyLeeds wrote: »

Not for me. He's up 20 lbs for falling last time out. Too much weight and I can pass him over at a short price due to this.

fair point thanks 5starpool

Or as jackyback says leave this thread open for the festival???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

5starpool wrote: »
    I would prefer it taken to the Horse racing forum, as when I became mod of this forum the feeling I got was that most people would prefer if this was a non horse gambling forum. There is still the odd thread on horses, and I have left one big 'tip for a nag' thread alone, and dependent on content moved some others.

Personally I don't really mind if there is racing tips privided, but the fact that if a precedent is set then it might become a flood of threads about them. Also, threads about which horses to back, good tips etc, already happen in the Horse Racing forum, so it would be better I think to keep it there to be honest.

If you really want to discuss racing here during Cheltenham, then confine it to the 'Tip for a Nag' thread. If there is a lot of feeling against this then it is the type of thing that can be open to discussion.

Can we leave this thread open just for the Festival? i aree with keeping all horsey gambles confined to the "tip for a nag" thread

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All Horse racig discussion that doesn't belong in the tips thread should definitely be taken to the horse racing forum imo. Feel free to post tips/fancies or whatever in the tips thread though. I will even sticky it and all future racing tips/bets threads here will be merged in there.

I know it can seem annoying that you can't talk about stuff in one place, but have to bring it elsewhere, but all forums have the same issues to a point, and the more the place grows, the bigger the problem gets.

However, unless there is a reason to, I don't go into either the Horse Racing forum or the tips thread here as I have zero interest in Horse Racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

it should be kept in here. cheltenham is one of the biggest gambling events of the year. we're not talking about anything other then that like. is it possoble to have the same thread on both boards, for the festival? this issue will just keep coming up and up. and if the tip for a nag thread can stay, i don't see why anything else should go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

fatgav wrote: »
    it should be kept in here. cheltenham is one of the biggest gambling events of the year. we're not talking about anything other then that like. is it possoble to have the same thread on both boards, for the festival? this issue will just keep coming up and up. and if the tip for a nag thread can stay, i don't see why anything else should go

I agree, Its a massive gambling attraction so maybe let the thread stay until the festival ends and then move it.

fatgav wrote: »

I am against this Horse Racing thread in Gambling. A logical step to me from here would be that we would then have poker threads in here. After all Poker is gambling. But there is a dedicated Poker forum. Or would we only have Poker threads during the World Series of Poker?

Or another scenario. Rather than having two boards with Horse Racing Threads close the Horse Racing Thread and ask those posters to post only in Gambling. Then this forum, which has to date been primarily a sports betting board would be littered by Horse Racing Threads.
    Would the regular posters here be happy to accept this compromise - that in order to allow horse racing threads here we should merge with Horse Racing under a new bigger Gambling Forum?

What I really think this is about is that people want their own private forum rather than actually posting on the different dedicated boards.

This isn't a personal attack on anybody and please don't take it that way. I simply can't understand why if there is already a Horse Racing Forum we need a second mini-Horse Racing Forum.

My main point is that -no offence to the HR lads, i'm sure there great lads- but they have a different mentality about the game - we look at cheltenham and try find the value, the good lays, the easy wins. They look at form, ground, wind direction and how much the horse sh!ts the nite before... It's different

- we look at cheltenham and try find the value, the good lays, the easy wins. They look at form, ground,

Are these two not inextricably linked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I am against this Horse Racing thread in Gambling. A logical step to me from here would be that we would then have poker threads in here. After all Poker is gambling. But there is a dedicated Poker forum. Or would we only have Poker threads during the World Series of Poker?

then if this is the case move soccer bets to soccer forum.

this is the place for gambling chat and cheltneham is the biggest gambling week of the year so why would this thread be anywhere else.

Arianna Worried Cookbook let us know what your thinking of putting into this...im gonna do the same sort of bet..had a very large win 2 years ago with this.:D

i think kuato, sizing europe are definates in my book, just wanna find 1-2 good value bets to include.
    will post back monday when i have studied who's running what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

is it time to start talking tips yet? :)

also, since they are linked (as brian pointed out) could the thread be posted in both boards??

prendy wrote: »
    then if this is the case move soccer bets to soccer forum.

Horse racing and punting on it go hand in hand. People can play poker for fun but personally I don't see the point. So let's accept people play poker to gamble.
    The same cannot be said for soccer.
    People who follow soccer do not necessarily bet on it however so I don't think it would be fair to foist the soccer gambling threads on them.

For example there was a monster thread on the Ireland Soccer manager in Soccer, discussing the merits of the candidates and peoples views on them. There were smaller threads here discussing the prices of various candidates, and also peoples' views on same candidates and whether there was value backing them. I feel both were in the right forums.

As you've probably gathered it's a slow day in work ;)

For Jackyback and others considering doing e/w (or win) accumulators I would like to share a personal story from many years ago. I had been underpaid in January and got the difference back in Feb. I felt loaded at the time (I was a trainee). I was working out on the Old Naas Road and went into Hackett's beside FBD. I did all sorts of bets. Yankees, Placepots, all sorts of accumulators. It was a very bad festival for me. It's hard enough picking winners at all without trying accumulators. But that's my tale. My point really is you might be a couple of hundred down after the first leg of the accumulator. But each to their own and of course best of luck with them. Let us know who you are doing so we can follow. It will ultimately be a mod's decision if this thread gets moved to the HR Forum.
    Thus far I've backed Exotic Dancer at 16/1 and am trying to back Fair Along for the Champion Chase (brilliant course form) and Harper Valley (beat Franchoek over course and Distance in Dec).

I am thinking of backing Exotic Dancer without the top 2.

I thought he had been withdrawn !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

My main bet as of now is Nor'Nor'East in the Nat Hunt Nov Chase.

25/1.

Advertisement