Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgie or Canary

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have a experience with any of these birds as pets? I'm thinking about getting either one as a pet for my room but i dont know which one to go for. So some help here would be great folks.

cheers,

stevo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've only got experience of a budgie many years ago when living on my own, and I thought it would be the ideal 'low maintenance' pet, but to be honest it drove me mad with it's squawking and chirping. I donated it to one of my colleague's daughters in the end to get rid of it and get my peace and quiet back, and swapped it for an aquarium :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Budgies do tend to be very noisy and if you live in a small space it could drive you mad. Canaries are a lot quiter unless you have a singing male, but the song is much more musical and soothing than a budgie chattering.

Whatever you decide to get though, if it is a bird, please get 2. Ideally do enough research that any pet you get you will know whether it is better for the animal to keep one on it's own or 2 together. For birds being on their own is very lonely and as they are a flock animal, unnatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Thanks lads TBH its for my room. I would like a quiter bird but i saw a blue budgie today and loved it. Still though the chirping would drive me mad. Can a canary be tamed anough to handle outside of the cage as i would prefer to let it out a bit when its used to me.

Alun wrote: »
    I've only got experience of a budgie many years ago when living on my own, and I thought it would be the ideal 'low maintenance' pet, but to be honest it drove me mad with it's squawking and chirping. I donated it to one of my colleague's daughters in the end to get rid of it and get my peace and quiet back, and swapped it for an aquarium :)

ps - alun that i liked that story. short and to the point! LOL

Canaries can get really tame. A canary will come and sit on your finger quicker than a budgie in my experience.

• Advertisement

Canaries can get really tame. A canary will come and sit on your finger quicker than a budgie in my experience.

mmmm. so maybe a canary so. now what about a cock or a hen? i hear the cocks will sing but a hen wont

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

How about a couple of rats? Would make a much more interactive pet than a budgie or canary....

The cocks sing the hens don't. But, please, please get 2. It is so unnatural for birds to be on their own. So ideally a hen and a cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If these are pets in your room, would they not get a bit bored being locked up in there day in day out? I'm sure they'd be happier in a kitchen/living room with a bit of activity. They also like to be put outside for a bit when it's warm enough......I mean how long are you actually in your room day in day out? Hardly not much more than just night time ... and you're not much fun when you're asleep to be honest.

Glowing wrote: »
    If these are pets in your room, would they not get a bit bored being locked up in there day in day out? I'm sure they'd be happier in a kitchen/living room with a bit of activity. They also like to be put outside for a bit when it's warm enough......I mean how long are you actually in your room day in day out? Hardly not much more than just night time ... and you're not much fun when you're asleep to be honest.

I spend most of my time in my room TBH. I have also a lot of other pets and take great care of them all, i would just like to make an extra to thee by having xome company in my room in the evenings. I will most likely get a cock and a hen. They'l be put right at my window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

If you are going for canaries try and get some Rollers. Nicer looking and better singers than Border Canaries.

Or go for some Gloucesters as they look cute with their tuft of feathers on their heads.

Just make sure that it isn't draughty by the window or that it won't get too hot in the summer. Right in the window isn't necessarily the best place.

If you take birds outside when the weather is nice, firstly don't leave them unattended in case a bigger animal comes along and knocks over the cage, secondly make sure that they do not sit right in the sun as they can get heat stroke if they have nowhere to get into the shade.

Just make sure that it isn't draughty by the window or that it won't get too hot in the summer. Right in the window isn't necessarily the best place.

If you take birds outside when the weather is nice, firstly don't leave them unattended in case a bigger animal comes along and knocks over the cage, secondly make sure that they do not sit right in the sun as they can get heat stroke if they have nowhere to get into the shade.
    thanks carwash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Budgies can make great pets!

I have no experience of canaries...

I had a budgie Bunny, got him when he was 3 months old, male, and what a joy. The first time I let him out of his cage he flew over and landed on my head :D Had him out around the room all day long, he used to chase my fingers as I typed on the keyboard :D Such a funny fun loving little guy. Also climbed up onto my pen and pecked at it while I was trying to write :p That got the dog going and then they were both over so I never got any work done :D

He started to talk at 4 months old or so. He said "good boy" as his first phrase :D Was a cheeky little thing and loved playing ball with my german shepherd (gsd adored him too) I'd often hear Bunny musing to Jake, "I love you Jake" then suddenly "Jake no jake no sit sit" :D

Don't believe me? I have the videos to prove it :D

Here's his playlist
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CBE073655CCDDA1B

I'd go with a budgie, loads of fun :o

Advertisement