Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain question

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This is related to hosting, but it's not too specific to a company and is more for my general knowledge, so hopefully it doesn't need to be closed.

Suppose someone registers a .ie domain and hosting account with one company, but decides they want to host with someone else.

A hosting account is set up with the new hosting company, and the DNS details are updated on the old hosting company to point to the DNS details on the new company.

What has actually happened at this point? Is the domain still technically with the old company but pointing to the new company, or is the new company now the primary registrar(?) of the domain name?

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself properly, but I've always been a bit confused by this side of things :(

thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The old company is still the domain registrar. In order to move the domain to the new company, you have to put in a domain transfer request. This then updates the IEDR's record to say that the zone mydomain.ie is now managed by newcompany.com.

The new company will have a process for transferring the domain to them - it's usually the cost of a year's domain registration, so best to transfer it a month or so before the domain needs to be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

seamus wrote: »
    The old company is still the domain registrar. In order to move the domain to the new company, you have to put in a domain transfer request. This then updates the IEDR's record to say that the zone mydomain.ie is now managed by newcompany.com.

The new company will have a process for transferring the domain to them - it's usually the cost of a year's domain registration, so best to transfer it a month or so before the domain needs to be renewed.

Thanks Seamus, I had a rough idea that was the case - I thought once the domain was actually registered, it could be transferred over easily enough (i.e. free), but obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You can transfer at any time, doing so -should- simply add a year to your expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can transfer at any time, doing so -should- simply add a year to your expiry date.

The IEDR has a rather odd domain lock in place which isn't timebased, but is tied to their billing cycles. There's nothing to stop a registrant from updating the DNS, but they can't transfer the domain immediately

With .com/net/org/info/biz you can't move for the first 60 days and some of the registrars won't allow a move after a registrant change (eg. Godaddy)

.eu is an odd beast, as a transfer literally "restarts" the registration so any remaining time is lost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks again for the responses. The .ie domain was only recently registered, so we'll wait until it's nearly up before transferring it over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

blacknight wrote: »
    The IEDR has a rather odd domain lock in place which isn't timebased, but is tied to their billing cycles. There's nothing to stop a registrant from updating the DNS, but they can't transfer the domain immediately

With .com/net/org/info/biz you can't move for the first 60 days and some of the registrars won't allow a move after a registrant change (eg. Godaddy)

.eu is an odd beast, as a transfer literally "restarts" the registration so any remaining time is lost

I am getting into this webdesign and mastering business at the moment
    I have planned to buy a couple of domain names all international (.com .net .info etc)
    I planned to buy with godaddy because its really cheap but I dont know about hosting with them
    They will probably be parked for a couple of months before I get the site up and going

Are you saying that IF i Buy with godaddy I cant move them at all ever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

foxhound wrote: »
    Are you saying that IF i Buy with godaddy I cant move them at all ever

No

GoDaddy's way of handling things affects intra-registrar transfers post-purchase ie. if I buy a domain from person X and then want to move it my preferred registrar

Advertisement