Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure which type of memory to get.

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine want's add some memory to his (rather old) PC. I took a look at the memory in his machine, it's a single 512Mb simm but can't tell what type of memory it is.

I checked the motherboard, here's the link which says it takes Type: DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 memory.

I can't find this type of memory on Komplett, could someone link this type of memory to me please (or any other desent site that has this type of memory).

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DDR, which is backwards compatiable. Just make sure the board can accept whatever size dimm you get for it...well, considering there's already a 512 in there, if you plan getting another gig, just make sure the board supports it.

Example:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=117212

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Thanks for the reply, the spec on the board says it will support 2Gb of memory. Will I be OK adding a new simm with 1Gb on it bringing the total to 1.5Gb or do the two simms have to be the same size? (ie: can't mix a 512Mb with a 1Gb on the same board)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mixing is OK but both sticks will run at the speed of the slower stick. Also, how many banks are there on the board - if it's only 2, then yes it will take 1gb sticks, however if it's 4, it may only take 4x512 to make up the full amount.

Advertisement