Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying family car

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade family car - we don't want an SUV or jeep, or MPV, but would like to have 7 seats. I've seen some estate cars with an option of putting up seats in the boot and this idea appeals to me (trying to convince husband).

Can anyone advise which cars offer this option and if they are as safe as the other 7 seat options.

Also, husband has car allowance which funds our family car. He could opt for a company car instead which would mean buying new (probably dearer than going the second had route but cheaper than our buying new!). He is keen on this as he maintains a new car will always be safer than a 2nd hand - any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

muckety wrote: »
    Looking to upgrade family car - we don't want an SUV or jeep, or MPV, but would like to have 7 seats. I've seen some estate cars with an option of putting up seats in the boot and this idea appeals to me (trying to convince husband).

Can anyone advise which cars offer this option and if they are as safe as the other 7 seat options.

I would be in the same boat soon, looking for a 7 seater that is not a SUV and preferrably not a conventional MPV. Not a huge amount of choice there's, your best bets (in the order of desiriability as far as I'm concerned!) would be:

Volvo V70 Estate 7 seater
    Mercedes Benz E-Class 7 seater
    BMW 5 series estate 7 seater (rare)
    Renault Grand Scenic
    Opel Zafira
    Mazda Premacy

Also, husband has car allowance which funds our family car. He could opt for a company car instead which would mean buying new (probably dearer than going the second had route but cheaper than our buying new!). He is keen on this as he maintains a new car will always be safer than a 2nd hand - any comments?

I don't see any logic in that. A 2 year old car would be as safe as a new one, or probably a bit safer as it's gone through all the teething problems and it's "broken in" properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've seen some estate cars with an option of putting up seats in the boot and this idea appeals to me (trying to convince husband).

How often would you be using these boot seats, and how precious to you are the cargo that would be using them? (I'm guessing very precious).

We had a Volvo V70 in last year with these seats in the boot. They face the back window and in my opinion are not very far away from the boot door. If someone ploughs in to you at a substantial speed (even in a Volvo Estate) I wouldn't fancy the chances of anyone sitting in those seats.

My advice would be to get yourself down to a Volvo dealer who has one of these in stock to see for yourself (Tom Canavan Motors had one in the showroom last year). I'd recommend one of the small MPV's that at least have everyone facing the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

I've been checking options lately due to imminent arrival of third child.
    More or less decided on Opel Zafira but changed at last minute to Renault Scenic. The fact we could fit three baby seats in second row swung it.

With the Zafira we would have to use the third row as only two seats could fit in second row. This wouldn't leave a lot of boot space.
    With the Scenic we would still have a decent boot. Bit more compact and fuel efficient.

btw good point ROR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I know its a mini MPV but the Corolla Verso is meant to be ok. Even Clarkson likes it:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article458024.ece

What about the Ford S-Max or the Citroen Picasso (new shape), these seem to be the best current MPV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Honda Stream is a 6 seater...

If you have small kids though I would recommend a MPV....higher seats makes it a lot easier on you lifting them in & out and doing seat belts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you can get past the looks a FIAT Multipla is a great 6-seater. The wife couldn't so we went with a V70!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP doesn't want an SUV or MPV, so what do the great learned recommend? :D

OP doesn't want an SUV or MPV, so what do the great learned recommend? :D

And your point is...? :D

On topic the V70 is a great car for the purpose; huge boot, all the toys and safe as a safe thing made by safe Swedish safe people. I wouldn't be overjoyed at the prospect of using the rear seats regularly though, it makes the rest of the boot useless as you don't want missiles flying at your kids if you jam on the brakes or have a minor prang.
    THAT's why if you have more than 3 kids to ferry about every day (I don't) I'd say a vehicle with more permanent, foreward facing seats is a better option. (Happy now?);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

has to be the verso, three full seats in the back . 2 extra in the boot, solid reliable and great resale value. doors open really wide for ease or access

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cjt156 wrote: »
    And your point is...? :D

My point is that the OP specifically said no MPV's. The car knowing/loving gliterati then go on to recommend MPV's left right and centre.

I couldn't think of any other vehicle that would fit his/her requirements, so didn't suggest any that clearly didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks for all the ideas! Not convinced about MPVs - sorry!
    I'll take a look at the v70 but have learned the new model doesn't have the option of seats in the back. That may direct us to a 2nd hand rather than new-company-car.

Or we go with other new Estate (regular 5 seater) - any further comments?

My point is that the OP specifically said no MPV's. The car knowing/loving gliterati then go on to recommend MPV's left right and centre.

I couldn't think of any other vehicle that would fit his/her requirements, so didn't suggest any that clearly didn't.

Thanks for clearing that up; your posts have been very helpful.

Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Muckety, I was in same situation over a year ago...NO MPV's

Wife begged me to go look at a Verso. Said ok and was really convinced by it. You don't really feel like its an MPV. Before you go ruling out any type/class of car, go and see them all and see for yourself, unless you already have.

We have the diesel Verso a year now and I have to say on long journeys its very comfortable, especially with the cruise control. My wife also loves it for the school runs.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up; your posts have been very helpful.

Honestly.

I'm thrilled to bits. Honestly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    BMW 5 series estate 7 seater (rare)

There's no such thing as a 5 series Touring with 7 seats. That's why they're so rare:D!

Advertisement