Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation: How does one automate a rock track?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

Then I set the automation to trim mode. This sets all the faders to a null point, usually 0dB. The actual fader level will be different but the fader knobs will be at zero. Then if I want to change a level I can just pull the fader a dB or whatever. This trims the level, but keeps the automation moves.

just tried this out, great tip, cheers man!
    i think you're not getting what i'm saying

I think he does, that trim mode in cubase anyway does exactly what i was using group channels for and you were using a gain utility for, except keeps your fading readings true, keeps everything on one track and means you don't need an extra plugin running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ogy wrote: »
    just tried this out, great tip, cheers man!

I think he does, that trim mode in cubase anyway does exactly what i was using group channels for and you were using a gain utility for, except keeps your fading readings true, keeps everything on one track and means you don't need an extra plugin running.

oh right. apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

One thing though, I believe there was a fader law bug in one of the cuebase versions, 4 maybe? If say you were at 0dB and trimmed -3dB, you'd end up at -3dB right? Well apparently if you were at -20dB and trimmed -3dB you won't get -23dB. I believe it's sorted, but Steinberg users may like to check which version they are using.

I'm done here...

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Don't think that's a bug.
    -3db compensated pan law means that anything panned centre at 0db is really at -3db.
    This means as you pan from fully left through centre to fully right, the level stays the same.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_law

Fader taper! Not Pan Law...

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Fader taper! Not Pan Law...
    Right, your mentioning 3db threw me off.

Right, your mentioning 3db threw me off.

Industry standard "what if" level!!!

Hey, stop yelling at me!!!!!!!!
    :-)

Studiorat has just demonstrated a digital delay with a delay time of 12 minutes set to a single repeat.

• Advertisement

I wish I knew how I managed to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Recording digitally, aiming your peaks at just below zero all the time is a BAD idea.
    Aside from making clipping more likely, it's been shown to degrade the sound quality, as intersample peaks and poor converter performance near maximum come into play.
    In a 24-bit recording system, you can aim your peaks at aroun -10 or -12dBfs without any significant problem.

Advertisement