Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Straight to voicemail - Eircom prefix?

• 05-03-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a prefix that will send you straight through to someone's message service, without ringing their phone?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a prefix that will send you straight through to someone's message service, without ringing their phone?

Thanks!

Yeah the same as on mobiles, add 5 between prefix and number. I few years ago got through to a "human being" at Eircom, technical kinda guy, who understood what I was after, and the answer was while possible and he could do it, it was not enabled for the average Joe. Would be handy, leaving message when people are probabley asleep, or you don't have time to chat. Also if you could set up your own "Eircom Call Answering" not ring after say 11PM but to take all calls directly untill say 8AM.

Eircom do have a , little publicised service , that changes txt messages from mobiles to voice messages. Try it. Don't know if it is universal. I discovered it years ago by accident. One DISADVANTAGE (maybe?) The receiving phone doesn't ring, ( I think) and the message goes directly to voicemail. So only works if you have "Eircom Call Answering".

Anybody with more info might be able to somehow expand on this theme.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Wow thanks for all that info! Some good ideas you have there. The reason I was looking for this service was because I had to communicate with somebody I cannot stand! :P lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The eircom voicemail system's setup in pretty much the same as a mobile voicemail box, i.e. your mailbox has a real number. The only difference is that they don't publish the numbers and they are local to a particular group of exchanges. So, you can't really universally direct dial into a mailbox.

All that happens is your phone line's set up for call forwarding on busy and on no reply to your voicemail box number.

They do have a "Text to Speech" service. If you send an SMS to an eircom landline it will be read out. If they've voicemail it will get left in their mailbox, if not, if will get read out by a computer-voice live.

If you've an SMS enabled cordless phone on the line, when you send an out going SMS for the first time the telephone exchange deactivates the text-to-speech service and sets up the actual text messaging facility on your cordless phone.

I think it even works if you're connected to a 'carrier pre-select service' i.e. the likes of UTV, Perlico, BT etc as they're using eircom's exchanges rather than their own.

Smart etc won't work for SMS. They're using their own exchanges.

Advertisement