Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep App in Focus

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all

Hope someone can help me wuth this one. I'm developing an application to act as a sort of kiosk similar to self service checkout in Tesco. I need the application to stay in focus all of the time. My problem is i need other software to startup when windows starts also but this other software always ends up displaying on top of my Kiosk application. (I have both applications in startup folder).

I need the kiosk software to display on top of any other software running.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

RedRag wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope someone can help me wuth this one. I'm developing an application to act as a sort of kiosk similar to self service checkout in Tesco. I need the application to stay in focus all of the time. My problem is i need other software to startup when windows starts also but this other software always ends up displaying on top of my Kiosk application. (I have both applications in startup folder).

I need the kiosk software to display on top of any other software running.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dot .net? This might be what you are looking for

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.form.topmost(vs.71).aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

Hi,

What application ?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

What programming language are you using for the till software?

if it's .Net you can set the form TopMost property to true.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Sorry forgot to mention its VB6. Thanks for quick replys anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

• Advertisement

Think that wil do the trick for me, thanks Beano

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Just bear in mind that keeping a window on top doesn't mean it has the focus.

For example...you can set Windows Task Manager to always be on top...but then happily run something else.

If the user has access to a keyboard, keeping the current window on top won't solve all problems. If they use a different input device (e.g. touch-screen) then you may be OK with just this.

Thanks for the advice Bonkey. It is indeed a touch screen kiosk and the user will not have access to a keyboard or any other input device other than a barcode scanner.

Advertisement