Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 05-03-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi lads & ladies,need some advice on this one. Here's the situation:

left the car in for aservice 9am yesterday, got a call @13.20 yesterday to tell me that I needed a new timing belt. Gave the OK.

Got another call @ 1600 to tell me that they wouldn't have the car ready in time before closing. They kindly gave a replacement FOC.

Got a call today @1240 to tell me that the wrong belt was delivered 3 times and they hadn't got a tensioning tool to fit the belt. The car probably won't be ready today. Have the replacement car as long as necessary.

Feel free to move if you need to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What is your consumer issue here? They are at least providing you with a free car, or is there something else going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leeza

The garage giving you a loaner car is a good will gesture on behalf of the business they do not have to do that. If you have not paid any money over to the business you have not entered a contract with them. You can argue under the sale of goods and the supply of services act 1980 arguing that The supplier did not have the necessary skill to provide the service and the service was not provided with the proper care and diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

what i'm trying to understand is why it is taking so long for them to do a service.

They knew my car was in need of a timing belt @13.20 yesterday and 24 hours later it still hasn't been fitted.

Also, what i'm concerned about is the labour charge :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,174 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    what i'm trying to understand is why it is taking so long for them to do a service.

They knew my car was in need of a timing belt @13.20 yesterday and 24 hours later it still hasn't been fitted.

Also, what i'm concerned about is the labour charge :eek::eek::eek:

Well I'm sure when you get the breakdown of the charges it won't read...

7 hours - Ordering wrong parts
    1 Hour - fitting

Relax, you have no consumer issue yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leeza

unless they told you that "your car will be ready for you to collect at X" at this point it is except or reject. if you do decided to go somewhere else for the service the business would have to be paid for the work that they have carried out already to your car.

In regards to the labour fees it would be something you would have to discuss with the garage as there is no price control in Ireland so there is no set rate that they have to charge

• Advertisement

thanks everyone!

I'll just have to vote with my wheels next time i need a service. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Ordering the wrong parts happens all the time OP dont worry, sure you arent stuck for transportation as they gave you a loaner car FOC.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

These things happen! At least some garages will give out loan cars now. I left a Renault Megane in for a service last week to have the clutch replaced - should have only been a few hours at the most. Except by the time they had the clutch in pieces on the garage floor, they realised the clutch they were to put into the car wasn't going to fit. Took them two days to get the correct part and have it fitted in the end. But I had a loan car FOC for the entire time the Megane was in the garage. There's a lot of places wouldn't bother giving out a loan car and would have just left you on your own for the time they had your car.

As regards labour, I would imagine they will only charge you for the time they were physically working on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sgt.bilko wrote: »

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what? the answers are right there in your first post. The worng belt was ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This should be positive consumer feedback if they are giving you a free loan car I reckon !

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but what? the answers are right there in your first post. The worng belt was ordered.

true, but the wrong belt being ordered 3 times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Have you ever tried to order car parts??

There are so many variations of them that I'm not surprised that they ordered a couple wrong.

Chill...... you've got a FOC loan car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

sounds like you need to publish the name of this place! Im going there for my next service.
    not only are they doing the work(its gonna be expensive but everywhere is!), but they are providing you with a car foc and updating you when ever the situation changes. Thats excellent service in my book.
    Normally the wrong part ordering happens, but they tell you when you arrive to pick up the car having organised a lift to do so.

Happy Days,

got a phone call @ 1600 on wednesday to say car was ready, agreed to let me collect car thursday morning as i live in kildare and garage is in dun laoghaire (i work in that area). I was not going to travel m50 between 4 & 7 so collected car thursday morning.

car was washed and ready when i dropped over so thanks to Brendan & Thomaz in Rochestown Motors. :D:D

Advertisement