Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly one of the most stupid questions asked so far...but here goes..

Options
  • 05-03-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I really should know this but I'm learning as I go.

I've done a piece in Reason, and I want to put it onto CD. Now I can put it in MP3 format if I want as I have a converter program to do that, but I want it to be able to be played on any CD player - not just MP3 compatible ones

Therefore, my question is - is .wav the format of the majority of audio CD's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Make sure your project settings/export settings are set at 44.1k sample rate and export as WAV or AIFF. WAV/AIFF are lossless formats and most commonly use the same PCM encoding that audio CDs do. Your CD burning software will therefore encode them onto the CD without any loss/degradation/change in the signal. (44.1k is probably the default in Reason but best to check anyway)

And its not a stupid question, newbie queries are more than welcome in the forum ;)

Beginning to feel like a newbie myself what with all the pros hanging around here these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

cornbb wrote: »
    Make sure your project settings/export settings are set at 44.1k sample rate and export as WAV or AIFF. WAV/AIFF are lossless formats and most commonly use the same PCM encoding that audio CDs do. Your CD burning software will therefore encode them onto the CD without any loss/degradation/change in the signal. (44.1k is probably the default in Reason but best to check anyway)

And its not a stupid question, newbie queries are more than welcome in the forum ;)

Beginning to feel like a newbie myself what with all the pros hanging around here these days!

ah...thats what I thought. Cool. Yea I think its set at 44.1k.
    Is there any software you can recommend to burn the file to CD with, or would nero just work fine?

with the amount of money iv spent on music equipment lately, i really should know something like this lol...oh well! heres to newbies!

ah...thats what I thought. Cool. Yea I think its set at 44.1k.
    Is there any software you can recommend to burn the file to CD with, or would nero just work fine?

You'll end up with the same quality audio no matter which you use, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Some software has more features like options to set the gap time between tracks, buffer underrun protection etc but its much of a muchness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Hi guys,
    I really should know this but I'm learning as I go.

I've done a piece in Reason, and I want to put it onto CD. Now I can put it in MP3 format if I want as I have a converter program to do that, but I want it to be able to be played on any CD player - not just MP3 compatible ones

Therefore, my question is - is .wav the format of the majority of audio CD's?

A stupid question is one you should ask, but don't!

On a slight tangent to this but relevant-ish.

I know a couple of mastering engineers, one here and one in the UK who regularly come up against people burning MP3s onto CD and that's what's offered as THE master.

That is, they've left the Studio with their master in WAV or similar (i.e. a High Quality Format) and then they've imported it in to ITunes .
    iTunes can import a WAV and covert it to MP3 unless it's set otherwise in the Preferences. It can also convert to other compressed formats.

The the guy burns his playlist which will now be compressed MP3s and takes that to the mastering house.

OUCH!

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    A stupid question is one you should ask, but don't!

On a slight tangent to this but relevant-ish.

I know a couple of mastering engineers, one here and one in the UK who regularly come up against people burning MP3s onto CD and that's what's offered as THE master.

That is, they've left the Studio with their master in WAV or similar (i.e. a High Quality Format) and then they've imported it in to ITunes .
    iTunes can import a WAV and covert it to MP3 unless it's set otherwise in the Preferences. It can also convert to other compressed formats.

The the guy burns his playlist which will now be compressed MP3s and takes that to the mastering house.

OUCH!

Ouch indeed, I don't feel so dumb now! :eek:

I hate fuppin' iTunes, it almost single-handedly dumbs down recorded/compressed music big time. Thats a rant for another time though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I hate fuppin' iTunes, it almost single-handedly dumbs down recorded/compressed music big time. Thats a rant for another time though...

You'll get a kcik out of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/technology/22cooder.html?ex=1327122000&en=0d44e40f2989b1c0&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Sorry, no more Rants - Meself and JT used up all the Rant tokens...

You can have as many rant tokens as you like especially for ranting about iTunes :cool:
    frobisher wrote:
    You'll get a kcik out of this

Um, I'm all for weird/unusual methods of making music but this kinda takes the biscuit. "Sound Enhancer" is one of those settings I need to mechanically manually untick when I do a fresh install of iTunes, along with Copy All to Library and Import as 128kbps AAC. It used to make certain tracks clip when I played em back in iTunes, drove me nuts to track the problem down.

Advertisement