Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbows on Shop St

Options
  • 05-03-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Any thoughts on the new gay bar where Pi was on Shop St.

Walkin by there the other day, spied the rainbow flags and thought to myself Ireland has come along way since the 90s, when a bar such as that can open on Shop St without a mig from anyone, no auld wans sayin the rosary outside....

Apart from the dubious appearance of ur man from big brother I think it's pretty cool, more power to Galway's gay community.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I was at out in galway for the first night in a while last friday. We queued for halo but was full, so then as we were walking home we decided to go to club pie. Went up ordered 2 double whiskeys turned around and 2 blokes shifting right beside us. So we legged it fairly quickly out of the place.

Not something I wanted to see

It should be advertised more as a gay club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

i can imagine :eek:

but at the same time live and let live....

as for advertising, did you not see the absolutely massive gay flags.....not to worry you survived to tell the tale!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Any thoughts on the new gay bar where Pi was on Shop St.

Walkin by there the other day, spied the rainbow flags and thought to myself Ireland has come along way since the 90s, when a bar such as that can open on Shop St without a mig from anyone, no auld wans sayin the rosary outside....

Apart from the dubious appearance of ur man from big brother I think it's pretty cool, more power to Galway's gay community.

Was thinking that meself, tis cool alright. There are still auld ones/loons who'd love to kick up a huge fuss about it but thankfully they are a fading minority now.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

i can imagine :eek:

but at the same time live and let live....

as for advertising, did you not see the absolutely massive gay flags.....not to worry you survived to tell the tale!

+1

Did you not notice said Rainbows festooned across the windows?

Pesky Gays sneaking up on ya with their PDA's when ya least expect it!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

plonk wrote: »
    I was at out in galway for the first night in a while last friday. We queued for halo but was full, so then as we were walking home we decided to go to club pie. Went up ordered 2 double whiskeys turned around and 2 blokes shifting right beside us. So we legged it fairly quickly out of the place.

It should be advertised more as a gay club

Aren't we lucky to live in a society where close mindedness like yours is no longer then norm. Your name suits you. Plonker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I find that the name 'Twirleys' is one of the worst name I've ever heard for a bar or club. I just can't get by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

aye, twirleys is a terrible name, but apparently the owner uses that as his drag name and the dodgy pic of the woman in the signage is him, not 100% sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

dafunk wrote: »
    Aren't we lucky to live in a society where close mindedness like yours is no longer then norm. Your name suits you. Plonker.

Jesus relax. I just dont like seeing lads snogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In fairness, he said he didn't really want to sit in a club and watch guys shifting each other, he didn't say 'twas wrong or that he was going to beat them up or something ...

Well I can understand people not liking public displays of affection regardless of whether they're same sex or opposite sex but I don't think it's cool to imply that you don't like it because they're of the same sex. What it comes down to it is feeling creeped out because of your own insecurities and not because of what anyone else is doing.

• Advertisement

Well I can understand people not liking public displays of affection regardless of whether they're same sex or opposite sex but I don't think it's cool to imply that you don't like it because they're of the same sex. What it comes down to it is feeling creeped out because of your own insecurities and not because of what anyone else is doing.

We're moving off topic, mainly due to me

Is the club any good? Music / decor / crowd etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

We're moving off topic, mainly due to me

I think someone can be forgiven for being uncomfortable around a gay couple getting intimate, as long as they realise its their own problem and not the couple's...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

In fairness, he said he didn't really want to sit in a club and watch guys shifting each other, he didn't say 'twas wrong or that he was going to beat them up or something ...
    I'd have to say it's not something i'd want to see on a night out either. Live and let live, just rename it the blue oyster so everyone knows the craic. ;)

Well I can understand people not liking public displays of affection regardless of whether they're same sex or opposite sex but I don't think it's cool to imply that you don't like it because they're of the same sex. What it comes down to it is feeling creeped out because of your own insecurities and not because of what anyone else is doing. ?
    Well, I can remember myself and the OH at the time being hauled out of a club at around 1.30 a couple of years ago by a gay friend of ours because (as near as I can remember the quote) he was "bored watching all the breeders eating the face off each other ... and 'twasn't like any of them could even dance, crowd of stiffs!" And as far as I can remember we wandered off and got pizza, rather than lecturing him on his insecurities ... :D

I'm all for tolerance and for everyone respecting everyone else, but sometimes interrogating every word and running it through a high grade PC filter does a lot more to set that cause back than it does to advance it. :)
    Don't know, haven't been in it, but sure you can invite myself and Plonk out for a pint over Easter and we can suss it out! :p:D

Back more to the main topic, I do like the fact that it's on Shop St., rather than somewhere hidden away, and that no-one seems to be getting on their high horse about it that I've noticed. Fair play, Galway!
    Apart from the dubious appearance of ur man from big brother I think it's pretty cool ...
    I'm lost here, though? ... maybe because I never actually watch Big Brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Couldn't resist

can't find the original Simpsons clip

IMHO tolerance is letting other people have a gay pride parade if they want - it doesn't mean you have to go to the parade yourself (personally, I hate parades).

I'm one of those who find PDA cute for the most part. Especially in really old people.

I ain't been to Twirleys - the name and the picture of the really dowdy drag queen aren't so encouraging. Plus, I don't really like nightclubs (have yet to go to Cuba/Karma/GPO/CPs/etc. in my 5 months here). But I've been to Club Pi, which was ****hole, so it can't be any worse.

I want to know what happened to the wednesday night punk/metal night they used to have a Pi (what used to motivate me there on occasion). I'd wager it's not at Twirleys, but wonder if it moved elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

plonk wrote: »

My God, did you seek medical advice immediately??

I'd have thought the name and the flags would have been a bit of a give-away myself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wasn't aware of this place at all! I'll have ye know I'm very closed minded and backward, down with this sort of thing! They're the devils backing crew, up jesus, so on, so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Tbh its not something id go to, it dosent bother me either. I do get a bit p***ed off when i turn around and see 2 people of the same sex at it right next to me tho, its just not something im comfortable seeing or being around.
    Dont go and call me insecure either, thats not the case.
    Back on topic tho, if the club has changed the decor etc it might be a tad bit better but if its just club pi with a different name then it couldnt be good, regardless of who is doing what in there.

people are entitled to their own opinions, and tbh that dosent give you or anyone else the right to call somone a plonker because you dont agree with them.
    I dont shout and roar at the gay community when they have a parade. I just wonder sometimes what people would say if we had a national straight day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've a feeling Twirley's will do pretty well there. Eden runs a night in there, and their night in the Pucan is usually packed out.
    Since Church Lane closed down, clubs in there never really lasted, but this should have a dedicated clientele that'll go and spend money there. Everyone I know that's been seems to rattle on about how great a night it is, and with word of mouth like that, it'll bring a decent amount of people in for a look. AFAIK it's just the same as Pi with no/minimal changes, but with a dedicated crowd I can see it doing quite well. More power to them. I'll probably call in at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 manonthestreet

Hang on, you said two guys shifting. I thought Twirly/Eamonn was the only gay in the village:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Anyone going to SLQS in twirleys tonight? Gunna have to drag some of my straight friends along. Never been there, but heard some good things about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Gays get all the cool flags.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I walk past the place most days and there rarely seems to be many people in it. Strange opening hours too.

Gays get all the cool flags.:(

One "l" too many? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

I walk past the place most days and there rarely seems to be many people in it. Strange opening hours too.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

gufcfan wrote: »
    How so?

Seems to open around 5pm (with bouncers outside) and close around 11pm most days. Apparently that's because it operates under standard bar times Monday to Thursday(?) but I'm not really sure what's going on with it.
    Weird to see bouncers on shop street while it's still bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

Seems to open around 5pm (with bouncers outside) and close around 11pm most days. Apparently that's because it operates under standard bar times Monday to Thursday(?) but I'm not really sure what's going on with it.
    Weird to see bouncers on shop street while it's still bright.

Come to think of it, I say them last week but I didn't take any notice of it.

I was never in that place, no matter what name it was trading under, over the years.

Haven't been to any of the clubs in town in a few years. Late bar suit me grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Not a massive fan of Twirleys, its only ok.

It is great that its on shop street, but to be honest i can't see it lasting.
    I dont shout and roar at the gay community when they have a parade. I just wonder sometimes what people would say if we had a national straight day.

That would be every day!!!!

• Advertisement

When I passed today, it looks like all the rainbow flags are gone and they've put up a bunch of Irish flags in the window. It may have just been the windstorm, or maybe given the location they've decided to 'de-gay' for the weekend for the tourists.

Advertisement