Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bouncers

Options
  • 05-03-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

I used to work security on doors of hotels and bars.Ive noticed, over the last year especailly, the standard of doorstaff at various pubs and clubs in Galway City has been steadily declining.
    Just wondering peoples thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I used to work security on doors of hotels and bars.Ive noticed, over the last year especailly, the standard of doorstaff at various pubs and clubs in Galway City has been steadily declining.
    Just wondering peoples thoughts on this?

There's already a thread about this here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Now theres two!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The standard seems to drop in inverse proportion to the popularity of the establishment (i.e. the bouncers in the bigger/popular places seem to be the biggest ****).

Went down to a certain Dominick St. establishment for a pint (literally a single pint!) last night at around 10pm, the bouncer put his hand across the door barring my path and started eyeballing me, asking how much I'd had to drink already. I said none, he got really perplexed! Once I got in there were people falling around the place spilling drink. Great job there Mr. Bouncer Man. A bouncer at a smaller pub would have nodded hello and opened the door for me. Serves me right for going there in the first place, sigh.

Disclaimer: not tarring all with same brush. Some bouncers are lovely. Too many **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I used to work security on doors of hotels and bars. Ive noticed, over the last year especailly, the standard of doorstaff at various pubs and clubs in Galway City has been steadily declining.
    Don't think it's specifically Galway, tbh. In fairness, I find most bouncers grand, just a few who could afford to improve their people skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Not all of them are bad, when i was asked one night what i had to drink, i replied 2 cans and a naggin, the reply was: ah, you're good and honest.
    and i got in.

though in the same place on another occasion i was accused of starting fights a few nights before when i had been in bed with a flu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

again , i know this is always brought up, and , NO , i know it doesnt excuse bad behaviour

but bouncers deal with drunk people for a living , i have no experience with this , but can only imagine that it is literally one of the most frustrating , unrewarding things on earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

All the bouncers I've worked with were very sound guys, no extra aggressiveness. I think working with a lot of drunk people - especially the students (no offense to the students on this board who I'm sure are not 'those students') - definitely wears on your patience, and you're more likely to turn someone away on the outset who looks like they could be trouble (or throw someone out at the first issue) rather than pay for it later.

Personally, not a bouncer, but stopped even being terribly polite within a few days of working with drunken clubbers. I'm not mean, but it went from "I'm so sorry, but you can't go in this way. Yeah, I wish i could, but..." etc. to "No, sorry." (close door).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cornbb wrote: »
    The standard seems to drop in inverse proportion to the popularity of the establishment (i.e. the bouncers in the bigger/popular places seem to be the biggest ****).
    I'd agree with this, sometimes it feels like they're just trying to make it hard to get in to keep the place popular. People like it if they feel they've accessed somewhere exclusive even if in reality it's a kip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

tristanc wrote: »
    All the bouncers I've worked with were very sound guys, no extra aggressiveness. I think working with a lot of drunk people - especially the students (no offense to the students on this board who I'm sure are not 'those students') - definitely wears on your patience, and you're more likely to turn someone away on the outset who looks like they could be trouble (or throw someone out at the first issue) rather than pay for it later.

Personally, not a bouncer, but stopped even being terribly polite within a few days of working with drunken clubbers. I'm not mean, but it went from "I'm so sorry, but you can't go in this way. Yeah, I wish i could, but..." etc. to "No, sorry." (close door).

If Tristan finds it tiresome it must be pretty bad.

THe man's a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

cornbb wrote: »

Went down to a certain Dominick St. establishment for a pint (literally a single pint!) last night at around 10pm, the bouncer put his hand across the door barring my path and started eyeballing me, asking how much I'd had to drink already. I said none, he got really perplexed! Once I got in there were people falling around the place spilling drink. Great job there Mr. Bouncer Man. A bouncer at a smaller pub would have nodded hello and opened the door for me. Serves me right for going there in the first place, sigh.

Disclaimer: not tarring all with same brush. Some bouncers are lovely. Too many **** though.

Yeah, If your talking about a certain live music venue the same thing happened to me there - i got stopped on the way in and asked how much i'd been drinking - and then i was allowed pass - and i was the only one in the group that got asked.

Even Stranger - I was actually asked to produce ID in most pubs except this one - he asked me if i drank much 2nite - i said 2 pints and he let me pass.

How random is this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I find the bouncers in Galway to be very good compared to Dublin. They've no problem letting you in with runners, torn jeans, a jumper and a backpack! (I usually end up around campus all day and then head straight out after)

Last night though, I saw some poor american dude outside cuba pleading (and I mean pleading, the guy was practically on his knees) with a bouncer to get back in to get his coat and scarf, but the bouncer was having none of it. It was only twenty past one too, so I don't really see what the problem was.

Advertisement