Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Calling Mark V VW GTI Owners!!

Options
  • 05-03-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

When I test drove an 06 DSG in a local garage and selected the 'S' mode at a set of lights, I could actually feel the suspension 'tighten' around me and the rev counter jump by about 1000rpms or so. I recently bought an 05 version and when I select the 'S' mode, I don't get any of the above effects. The rev counter only jumps when I'm moving and not from a standing start either. Have any other owners noticed this? I'm worried that there's something wrong with the gearbox or maybe its just because its nearly 3 years old?

Thanks for any/all help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The revs shouldn't rise at all by selecting a sport mode if the car is at a standstill. When you're moving, what it's doing is dropping a cog on the box for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Yeah, fair enough...was more thinking about the suspension aspect too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I don't think selecting S while at a standstill is supposed to have any effect and it definitely doesn't do anything to the suspension! It just allows the gearbox to delay changing up through the gears, so you'll find it will redline before changing up a cog.

There is something called "launch control" which is triggered from a standstill using "S", not quite sure how that works, but its hard on the tyres! Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

You could have something there with the Launch control..I do remember the sales person telling me about it alright. Must find out more about it.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have a manual GTI myself but I've driven a couple of DSG versions. I think the launch control is kinda "unofficial" though... i.e. there's no "how-to" in the manual! I've only read about it on various other forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Though I read/heard somewhere that S firms up the suspension too. Could be wrong, though it does feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Type launch control into youtube! It looks like fun:D I don't drive a dsg though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

S mode is a auto transmission sport mode. That's all. It does nothing to the suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

Selecting S, simply keeps the revs in the optimum power band, for a given gear/speed. Sadly, there's no adjustable suspension on GTi, (could do with making it softer when not in "stig" mode)...:D

Advertisement