Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Production Software [PC]

Options
  • 05-03-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Throw me some names please. I'm tired and can't think of anything other than Ableton Live.

Danke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What sort of music do you plan on making and whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

cornbb wrote: »
    What sort of music do you plan on making and whats your budget?
    Sorry to hijack this topic, this is the same sort of question so it would be a waste to start another topic, but I am going to start recording some music using my guitar / bass and probably use a virtual drum machine.

I will be playing dreamy sort of music, Smashing Pumpkins / Radiohead / My Bloody Valentine stuff. What sort of software would you recommend? I have used Cubase before but have since formatted the drive and I lost the disc and all my samples. I'll start fresh and thought it would be best to ask before I go getting stuff.

Also, what hardware would you recommend? I've got a decentish pc here, Pentium D 3.4hz Dual Core, 2GB RAM etc. But, for recording the Guitar / Bass onto computer, what would you recommend? I'll probably need an external soundcard. Last question, I have a few guitar pedals but they aren't that great or as plentiful as I would like. Is there software available to act as Virtual Pedals to manipulate the sound of the guitar?

EDIT - Budget for Hardware is around €150. :p I want cheap and cheerful! Also, this budget is for hardware only, I just want recommendations on software etc, don't worry about price when it comes to software.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Timans wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this topic, this is the same sort of question so it would be a waste to start another topic, but I am going to start recording some music using my guitar / bass and probably use a virtual drum machine.

I will be playing dreamy sort of music, Smashing Pumpkins / Radiohead / My Bloody Valentine stuff. What sort of software would you recommend? I have used Cubase before but have since formatted the drive and I lost the disc and all my samples. I'll start fresh and thought it would be best to ask before I go getting stuff.

Also, what hardware would you recommend? I've got a decentish pc here, Pentium D 3.4hz Dual Core, 2GB RAM etc. But, for recording the Guitar / Bass onto computer, what would you recommend? I'll probably need an external soundcard. Last question, I have a few guitar pedals but they aren't that great or as plentiful as I would like. Is there software available to act as Virtual Pedals to manipulate the sound of the guitar?

EDIT - Budget for Hardware is around €150. :p I want cheap and cheerful! Also, this budget is for hardware only, I just want recommendations on software etc, don't worry about price when it comes to software.

Thanks.

well I just bought a Mackie Onyx Satellite two weeks ago. Havent used it yet, but it would do exactly what you want.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_onyx_satellite.htm

http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/index.html

You can plug in guitars through effects pedals into it, and you can plug in 2 mics and 2 guitars at the same time. Its pretty much the same price as your budget.

Also, software to use for starting off - Reason. I've only started to get into this, but its the easiest out of all of the software out there that I've found so far for recording :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Reaper is really good and it's FREE.
    It was programmed by the guy who did winamp.
    There are rumours that a big software company is going to pounce on it soon making another few million.
    http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Frankel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

I've just trialed practically every product available, and none are quite what I wanted.

So, what did I do? Booted into Mac OS X and installed Garageband of course

Thanks anyway folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement