Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rey Mysterio Jr:How good?

• 05-03-2008 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

So I've been wading through an INCREDIBLE compilation of Rey's greatest matches (20 discs that only cover as far as the WCW days!!!) and it confirms a suspicion that I've had for the last while now:the little guy has to go down as one of the most versatile, innovative and enjoyable workers of the last 10-15 years.

Even in the early days as a skinny little fella working Mexico he was fantastic. He was massively over and his long running feud with Psicosis spawned numerous incredible trios matches. Back in the day he was a completely fearless competitior, and some of his dives and ranas to the floor were never seen before , even in lucha.

Once he made his name in Mexico an incredible match against Psicosis at the Super J Cup in Japan in 95 (they worked the interval match and promptly stole the show no mean feat in a show featuring Liger, Jericho, Eddy, Benoit, Ultimo Dragon to name but a few) got him booked in ECW. He once again wowed audiences with his matches against his old rival Psicosis and Juvi Guerrera, before signing with WCW.

Mysterio became a huge fan favourite in WCW, with great bouts against Malenko, Jericho, Kidman, Ultimo Dragon amongst others. At World War 3 in 97 he and Eddy Guerrero had as close to a perfect cruiserweight match as you'll ever see. There's one DDT spot off a springboard moonsault that just defies belief and this match is as fresh and enjoyable 10 years later as it was at the time.

After a brief stint in the Indies, it was in WWE that Rey really cemented his status in my mind as one of the best of the modern era. Seriously, how many bad matches has he had in his time in WWE? This in a company where his tiny stature and propensity for high flying are usually a hindrance to being pushed. He's been put in the ring with just about everyone on the roster and always comes up with something interesting. He uses his lack of size as an advantage to his storytelling which has matured wonderfully over the years. His selling is also incredible and as a sympathetic babyface being thrown around like a ragdoll, there's none better He had a Smackdown match against Mark Henry of all people a coupe of years back that was just a fantastic underdog Vs monster encounter. It was easily the best thing Henry has ever done in his career and it was all down to Mysterio.

He was an integral part of the fantastic era of the Smackdown Six, his feud with Eddy produced excellent matches (****ty backstory aside), he had an ommense TV match with Orton in 06, his cruiserweight run was great, his Angle matches were always brilliant he's just a guy that you can always turn to to have a great match no matter where he's booked on a card. OK his world title run was horrible, but IMO was booked incredibly badly with him being jobbed out constantly to the likes of Khali, before losing the strap in record time.

Add in the fact that in 5-6 years on WWE TV he's always been masively over as a face, you have a guy who ticks all the boxes as a guy who's matured into a brilliant brilliant worker who is now wise enough to realise his physical limitations and pick his spots perfectly.

Its time we gave the guy credit. Over and over guys like Benoit, HBK, Eddy
    and Jericho are pimped as the great workers of the modern era, yet here'sa guy with just as many great performances over the years. Its time he got some credit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He's a great performer, but should really stick to having matches with other cruiserweights and smaller guys who can accomodate his style.

I remember watching his run as "The Giant Killer" in WCW and it was horrible.

Just wasn't believable that the punches this tiny guy was throwing were really hurting a 7' tall Kevin Nash.

Great against the right opponents, but should never be involved with the super heavyweights.

Unfortunately, he's horrible on the stick as well which is why he never gets many title runs and promos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He's awesome and historically very important. Very much a ground breaker and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 deviniscool

I haven't been particularly impressed with his since his work in late 2002 when he was tag-teaming with Edge.

I was pretty disappointed that both guy's latest matches sucked so badly. The match at Royal Rumble was pretty dreadful, and the follow-up at No Way Out can't even be called a match because of Mysterio's injury.

His first year of work, though, was totally awesome. And everything before '02 was solid as well, especially the match with Eddie at Halloween Havoc and Psichosis at Bash at the Beach.

I think his physicality has really just declined because of the amount of injuries he sustained. I expect less from him now than ever before, and yet the guy still manages to come off as lazy and uninspired. Am I alone here?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I haven't been particularly impressed with his since his work in late 2002 when he was tag-teaming with Edge.

I was pretty disappointed that both guy's latest matches sucked so badly. The match at Royal Rumble was pretty dreadful, and the follow-up at No Way Out can't even be called a match because of Mysterio's injury.

His first year of work, though, was totally awesome. And everything before '02 was solid as well, especially the match with Eddie at Halloween Havoc and Psichosis at Bash at the Beach.

I think his physicality has really just declined because of the amount of injuries he sustained. I expect less from him now than ever before, and yet the guy still manages to come off as lazy and uninspired. Am I alone here?

don't forget WWE's matches were not as heavily scripted back then than they are now, either.

yet the guy still manages to come off as lazy and uninspired. Am I alone here?

Well I'm not with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness that match was going OK till the tiresome Vicky interference ruined it. It was only meant as a match to continue the feud, rather than the blow-off.

Well, I'd nerver have described him as an overly physical wrestler to begin with so I'm not sure i understand what you mean here. If you mean he's had to tone down his high flying craziness, then yes he has. But that to me makes him an even more impressive worker, it certainly hasn't been to his detriment.

All the great high flyers who had longevity to their careers such as Liger learned to work smarter, the older they got and pick their spots more carefuly, making them seem more important. in recent times Rey has incorporated a more strike based offence, using stiff kicks to chop his opponents down to size.

I mean since 02, off the top of my head he's had the great series of matches with Eddy (including an awesome 30 minute match on Smackdown), one of the best WWE matches of 2006 on Smackdown against Randy Orton,some great matches against Angle, a guy he REALLY clicked with, the afore-mentioned Mark Henry match (in fairness how often does that guy get praised), his tag-team with RVD had some amazing matches before injury broke them up, his return match from injury in the street fight with Chavo was immense and only a few weeks ago his Finlay matches were fantastic! Calling him lazy or uninspired is ridiculous, he's by far the most consistently entertaining in-ring worker on WWE TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There was a period of nearly two years where he didn't really do anything for me most of the time. I think it ended when he last got injured. He did have some great matches in that time but I just wasn't buying into him

Apart from that period I've always liked him. He's managed to succeed despite overwhelming odds at all stages of his career. When he started out, the bookers in Mexico wanted to keep him as a midget wrestler. His talent convinced them otherwise soon enough. He's overcome his size and numerous injuries and the perceptions of a lot of people, and I respect him for that

It's interesting to see how he's evolved during his career. Very good wrestler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's an impressive performer but I think the reason he gets alot of criticism here is because he's too one dimensional. Always the underdog (even against Chavo) despite the fact he's beaten nearly all the Smackdown main eventers clean. Also, his wrestling style is very stale now and he needs a heel turn

Bubs101 wrote: »
    he needs a heel turn

Thousands of kids aged 5-13 would disagree. Kids love him.

Horrible run: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/nash%2Bmysterio/video/x3ijvg_rey-mysterio-vs-kevin-nash_sport

Although if you do want to see Mysterio at his best, check out his other WCW stuff.

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He's an impressive performer but I think the reason he gets alot of criticism here is because he's too one dimensional. Always the underdog (even against Chavo) despite the fact he's beaten nearly all the Smackdown main eventers clean. Also, his wrestling style is very stale now and he needs a heel turn

He's always the underdog because its a role in which he excels, possibly the best in the business at "face-in-peril" segments.

He's too over and too good a merch seller to be turned heel, plus he lacks the mic skills to get people to hate him.

If you were to judge wrestlers by how good they perform with Nash, there'd only be two decent guys left!

That run had matches against Nash, Norton, Bigelow and Hall (I think) too.

It was just a horrible month in the career of Rey.

His cruiserweight WCW stuff is top drawer though.

Horrible run: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/nash%2Bmysterio/video/x3ijvg_rey-mysterio-vs-kevin-nash_sport

Although if you do want to see Mysterio at his best, check out his other WCW stuff.

No the best time in Rey's career sure, but the match was fine, in fact I quite enjoyed it. If anything Nash gave him too much offence. That's the thing about Mysterio for me, even with a stiff like Nash, i can enjoy Mysterio's work if even for the unique clash of sizes and styles he presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

flahavaj wrote: »
    So I've been wading through an INCREDIBLE compilation of Rey's greatest matches (20 discs that only cover as far as the WCW days!!!) and it confirms a suspicion that I've had for the last while now:the little guy has to go down as one of the most versatile, innovative and enjoyable workers of the last 10-15 years.

Even in the early days as a skinny little fella working Mexico he was fantastic. He was massively over and his long running feud with Psicosis spawned numerous incredible trios matches. Back in the day he was a completely fearless competitior, and some of his dives and ranas to the floor were never seen before , even in lucha.

Once he made his name in Mexico an incredible match against Psicosis at the Super J Cup in Japan in 95 (they worked the interval match and promptly stole the show no mean feat in a show featuring Liger, Jericho, Eddy, Benoit, Ultimo Dragon to name but a few) got him booked in ECW. He once again wowed audiences with his matches against his old rival Psicosis and Juvi Guerrera, before signing with WCW.

Mysterio became a huge fan favourite in WCW, with great bouts against Malenko, Jericho, Kidman, Ultimo Dragon amongst others. At World War 3 in 97 he and Eddy Guerrero had as close to a perfect cruiserweight match as you'll ever see. There's one DDT spot off a springboard moonsault that just defies belief and this match is as fresh and enjoyable 10 years later as it was at the time.

After a brief stint in the Indies, it was in WWE that Rey really cemented his status in my mind as one of the best of the modern era. Seriously, how many bad matches has he had in his time in WWE? This in a company where his tiny stature and propensity for high flying are usually a hindrance to being pushed. He's been put in the ring with just about everyone on the roster and always comes up with something interesting. He uses his lack of size as an advantage to his storytelling which has matured wonderfully over the years. His selling is also incredible and as a sympathetic babyface being thrown around like a ragdoll, there's none better He had a Smackdown match against Mark Henry of all people a coupe of years back that was just a fantastic underdog Vs monster encounter. It was easily the best thing Henry has ever done in his career and it was all down to Mysterio.

He was an integral part of the fantastic era of the Smackdown Six, his feud with Eddy produced excellent matches (****ty backstory aside), he had an ommense TV match with Orton in 06, his cruiserweight run was great, his Angle matches were always brilliant he's just a guy that you can always turn to to have a great match no matter where he's booked on a card. OK his world title run was horrible, but IMO was booked incredibly badly with him being jobbed out constantly to the likes of Khali, before losing the strap in record time.

Add in the fact that in 5-6 years on WWE TV he's always been masively over as a face, you have a guy who ticks all the boxes as a guy who's matured into a brilliant brilliant worker who is now wise enough to realise his physical limitations and pick his spots perfectly.

Its time we gave the guy credit. Over and over guys like Benoit, HBK, Eddy
    and Jericho are pimped as the great workers of the modern era, yet here'sa guy with just as many great performances over the years. Its time he got some credit.

20 discs? Take it you didnt get these "over the counter"! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I disliked Mysterio for a long time, especially during his feud with Eddie Geurrero over the paternity of that kid. One of the least interesting storylines I've seen.

However, I had no problem with him winning the World Heavyweight Championship. I think his run was mishandled.

But fact is Mysterio is a great wrestler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was so disappointed to see it was only Dominics custody papers to prove who was the papi being hung over the ring in the ladder match not Dominic himself, now that would have been entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

(20 discs that only cover as far as the WCW days!!!) and it confirms a suspicion that I've had for the last while now:the little guy has

holy dog sh!t 20discs thats alot.

Don’t really like the short stack after the heavyweight belt victory, it looked ridiculous on him and his title run was terrible.

Worst heavyweight champion ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Fozzy wrote: »
    If you were to judge wrestlers by how good they perform with Nash, there'd only be two decent guys left!

just out of curiosity...Who are the other two?

Shawn and Bret I assume, although Scott Hall got a decent run of matches out of him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I've never been impressed with Mysterio, I think WWE booking him as a main eventer is a very bad decision. TBH, he is a a pretty mediocre luchadore from what I've seen of other luchadores.

Minto wrote: »
    I've never been impressed with Mysterio, I think WWE booking him as a main eventer is a very bad decision. TBH, he is a a pretty mediocre luchadore from what I've seen of other luchadores.

The second half of your first sentence is fine. Your second sentence is laughable though.

You just jumped the shark with that post.

I've seen luchadore matches that I was entrawled in, but I've never seen a Rey Mysterio match that I'd say I was even nearly entrawled in. Please don't ask me for specific matches, it's been years since I watched any lucha matches and I've forgotten most of them.

I've never seen a Rey Mysterio match that I'd say I was even nearly entrawled in. .

Did you see him against Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

or against Kurt at Summerslam 2002?

I've seen both matches and they were good, but its because Eddie and Kurt were his opponents.

I've seen both matches and they were good, but its because Eddie and Kurt were his opponents.

Yep and Mark Henry carried him that time they had a 3 plus star match too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

As Jericho would say, he's pretty impressive for a 14 year old kid.

I like Mysterio. Always have. But I do see how people can say he's gotten a little less exciting to watch. When he first appeared on WWE have gave us moves we'd never seen before. He seems to have toned down the lucha a bit (and I refer here to lucha wrestling, not high-flying per se) and become a striker. IMO, he should never throw a punch, except at guys closer to his size, as it just isn't believable.

Its a shame they never put Mysterio against Pscosis or Juvetud when they had the chance.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    just out of curiosity...Who are the other two?

Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle (as of last week)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

flahavaj wrote: »
    At World War 3 in 97 he and Eddy Guerrero had as close to a perfect cruiserweight match as you'll ever see. There's one DDT spot off a springboard moonsault that just defies belief and this match is as fresh and enjoyable 10 years later as it was at the time.

I think you'll find that it was Halloween Havoc. That DDT spot is still my favorite spot of all time. The blend of matt wrestling and high spots in that match is just perfect.

There was a time when I was praying they would turn him heel, but he just cant work as heel with bigger guys. I cant see how that could work.

His ladder match at summerslam with Eddie was the last great match both men had despite the crappy story.

He was never a believable champ, I could never take him seriously in that regaurd.

The point is that at this stage he is FAR more than just another luchadore. I'd love to know the other luchadores you rate more highly.
    I've seen luchadore matches that I was entrawled in, but I've never seen a Rey Mysterio match that I'd say I was even nearly entrawled in. Please don't ask me for specific matches, it's been years since I watched any lucha matches and I've forgotten most of them.

Surely the contradiction between this and your earlier quote is obvious? You think Rey is mediocre compared to other luchadores you've seen, yet you can't even remember the matches they were in? They can't have been that great then!:rolleyes:

I think you'll find that it was Halloween Havoc. That DDT spot is still my favorite spot of all time. The blend of matt wrestling and high spots in that match is just perfect.

It was of course Halloween Havoc, my bad. Eddy said later that they were never able to pul off that DDT as perfectly no matter how hard they tries, they just captured lightening in a bottle that night, which is one of the many reasons that match is so special.

20 discs? Take it you didnt get these "over the counter"! :)

I'll say nothing!;)

Advertisement