Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motor tax on a bought used car

Options
  • 05-03-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all

Im planning on picking up a car this weekend but it hasnt been taxed in a few months as it hasnt been used. So the question is, when I go to tax it will I have to pay back tax or do I only pay tax from the date of when the vehical is in my name? And the tax is GINORMOUSE so I dont want to get screwd with paying extra.

Are there any necessary forms that il have to get the previouse owner to sign stating that the var has been off the road?

I tried the net, then tried ringing the MTO but them bloody phone numbers just lead to answer machines that give numbers to other answer machines that give numbers to answer machine. Bloody rediulouse. :mad:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

you should definetly only have to pay from when its registered in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

monster1 wrote: »
    you should definetly only have to pay from when its registered in your name.

I think it's from the start of the month that it's bought.

fletch... - download this form. Section 5 should allow you to specify the dates in question. I'm 99% sure I had to do this with my previous car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

No you don't pay the tax for the months that it's been off the road.
    I had the same issue some years ago. However I did get a ticket from some eagle-eyed Garda on his way to work as I found a ticket on my car one morning a few days after I bought it.
    Obviously I hadn't yet taxed it as I was waiting to get the registration cert back. A trip to the Garda station saw the ticket waived however.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Cheers evryone, thats a load off my mind!
    Ive printed out that form, I see hows its done now, thanks a million for that Eoin_s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

fletch... wrote: »
    Cheers evryone, thats a load off my mind!
    Ive printed out that form, I see hows its done now, thanks a million for that Eoin_s :D
    No probs - so what car did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Landrover discovery...... (que the anti-suv crowd) :D

will be taking it unless I see something horribly wrong that I missed while viewing it the first time round. Someone posted up the NCT testers journal or something like that on one of the other threads. Now that was a really good eye opener for some one thats shopping around for cars.

Advertisement