Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving home

Options
  • 05-03-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

I just want to know what are the implications if i return home from the US. I am a permanent resident( 2 years) through marriage to a US Citizen. That expires in October when i will have to apply for the 10 year. But my question what happens if i decide to move home. Will i will allowed back into the US again. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hmmm, a question for http://www.boards.us/ maybe?

I hope someone here can help you but it may be more of a question for an American Board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

there is a thing called advanced parole i think the form you will need is i-131 application for a travel document.basicaly it keeps your rights to permanant resident status and allows you to re enter the states after going abroad.
    i applied for one on november 25th and got it last monday.as far as i know if you leave on your conditional residence status you are giving up your right to it.i stand to be corrected here as im not quite sure.mabey ruu will spot this and offer you more advice.

btw. i have my aos (i-485) interview comming up so if anyone has and advice for me i would apreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I don't know what your interview is like but mine(I have a perm resident card from a parent) was a walk in the park aside from the annoyance of inefficient staff making me wait for 3 hours without an mp3 player or mobile phone(no electronics in the embassy).
    Some old dude asked me a few questions from behind bullet proof glass while a rude hag slowly processed my application in the black void they disappear to when not picking at their feet in full view of everyone waiting(true story).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not sure to be honest. I don't know the conditions on keeping the residency. I am waiting on the removal of conditions thing (I-751, 10 year card) to be processed in Nebraska *groan*. They received my packet in January 07, my biometrics in Feb 07 and I've heard nothing since despite all the phone calls and contacting my congressman.
    I will probably have to go to Indianapolis to get another 1 year extension as my first one expires in April if they don't get their backsides into action. Keeping my options open as I might go back home yet. :/

Personally I miss home, Americans are weird.

• Advertisement

Hellm0 wrote: »
    Personally I miss home, Americans are weird.

QFT

personaly i miss fry's damn sausage here tastes like dog doo.i think its the main reason i applied for the advanced parol so i could go home and eat a few of them and bring back some tayto's :D

SoBe wrote: »
    QFT

personaly i miss fry's damn sausage here tastes like dog doo.i think its the main reason i applied for the advanced parol so i could go home and eat a few of them and bring back some tayto's :D

Sausage...nearly forgotten what its really like at this stage. I miss good milk, real bacon, foliage and sanity.
    Unfortunately I'm here for another year or two until I jump ship, money here is too damn good.

galwaydude just spotted this on www.uscis.gov if your going to do the advanced parole thing they just moved the goal post today (and make it more expensive)

"USCIS Issues Revised Instructions for Travel Document Application
    March 5, 2008 - USCIS has issued revised instructions for Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. The instructions require applicants for re-entry permits and refugee travel documents to provide biometrics at USCIS Application Support Centers. The changes become effective today."

jesus ruu looks like your in for a long wait for the I-751 there only 1/2 way through 2006 in nebraska.good luck with it hope all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They have changed the processing time so often I am not sure what to believe, it was at Feb 07 a few weeks ago. I've heard that they sometimes go back to process some older applications. Not holding my breath for a quick approval anyway. :)

Advertisement