Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardback Books

• 05-03-2008 7:29pm

Why is it that the last few Discworld novels have been published on hardback first, with the paperback coming out nearly a year later? I've noticed it done with Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and now Making Money. Has this been the way with the previous books?

I really want to get the newest one, but despise hardbacks as they are too awkward to carry around with me

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm

have you only started reading recently? that's the way it's always done.

it's worth their while printing hardbacks because idiots like me will snap them up as soon as they come out, and well I do love hardbacks anyway.. I tend to destroy paperbacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Almost all books are done like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Mordeth wrote: »
    umm

it's worth their while printing hardbacks because idiots like me will snap them up as soon as they come out, and well I do love hardbacks anyway.. I tend to destroy paperbacks

QFT. If I really love a book I'll buy it in paperback too so I have a copy to shove in a pocket/the bottom of a bag, without worrying about destroying my only copy.

Mordeth wrote: »
    umm

Well I started reading them maybe 7-8 years ago, by which point most were on paperback anyway, so was unsure of whether they were always done like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

As Jeremiah mentioned, it's not just the Discworld books though, usually all books of all kinds, come out in hardback first.

Recent exceptions have been made with some of the summer holiday reads/chick lit which have had very small hardback runs, just cos they are disposable fiction really.

But no, it's not some Discworld specific rip off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement