Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How feasible is a BMW M3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would not buy an M3 without :

full leather
    SMG II
    19" upgraded alloys
    TV / sat nav wide screen
    bluetooth phone prep
    heated seats

etc etc

if the original owner speced up the car fully then the chances are that it was looked after.

have a look on here : http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Get a csl;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

kceire wrote: »

full leather
    SMG II
    19" upgraded alloys
    TV / sat nav wide screen
    bluetooth phone prep
    heated seats

etc etc

if the original owner speced up the car fully then the chances are that it was looked after.

have a look on here : http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/

thanks for the info. Haven't seen that many adds where it mentions the bluetooth phone prep etc... but ill keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kceire wrote: »

full leather
    SMG II
    19" upgraded alloys
    TV / sat nav wide screen
    bluetooth phone prep
    heated seats

etc etc

We're a long way from the spirit of the real M3, aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Anan1 wrote: »
    Your right, but thats were the CSL comes in:D

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    Get a csl;)

Don't think that version would be worth the extra money to me. The regular M3 is probably already too much car for me to handle :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anan1 wrote: »

i know yeah, maybe an M3 CS, its there somewhere in the middle :D
    CSL steering wheel, CSL steering rack, CSL wheels, CSL rear boot lid, CSL seats, but i would still like the smg, and sat nav etc, helps with the resale.

thanks again kceire for the link to the bmw forum, shoulda thought of looking for that. There's a load of M3 posts, and I'm starting to get a better picture of it all. Big shocker : Set of tyres for €1500 :eek:

another thing I meant to ask is about problems to watch out for... like in some cars the T belt has to be done at 60k miles etc... that sort of .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Didn't Cyrus just buy one (an E46) from the UK, he may be along shortly.

• Advertisement

I was just looking at this model there:
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/BMW+M3/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-40-4294966389-4294967202/advert.action?R=200809304712085&distance=21&postcode=W1K1BE&channel=CARS&make=BMW&model=M3&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=40000
    but when I put it into the VRT Calculator, it tells me the only option is the CSL version (which is an extra few K in tax). This seems to be the Automatic setting. Is the SMG considered automatic or is the heading of this add wrong?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

You are correct on the tax front. If you import it before July you will pay the lower (current) road tax for as long as it's on the road.

I imported an RX8 last year after considering both the 350Z and the M3, while doing a bit of research I realised the latter two were out of my budget. When I imported the car the Revenue were starting to clamp down on non declaration of optional extras so you need to bare this in mind when you're looking at a high spec UK model. They don't inspect all cars when you're paying the VRT but if it's a BMW they're more likely to.

Petrol consumption is a big factor. The RX8 is very sore on petrol I never get over 20MPG around dublin. To put that into perspective for you - The most I have ever got from a 60 litre tank of petrol is c.250 miles! I would imagine the M3 is even worse than that although it's a savage car and in my view if you can afford to buy one you should be able to pay the fuel bill.

I only ever considered buying trade in the UK. I wouldn't consider buying trade up North as you will pay a premium and have a much smaller range to choose from compared to across the water. The garage I bought from in Birmingham offered to import the car into Ireland for me at no extra fee and gave me a 6 month parts warranty which they honoured even though I brought the car into another country.

No matter who you buy the car from you should look for mileage verification, HPI and independent mechanic report (RAC/AA).

Also I hear the SMG gear box makes the car a little less demanding to drive.

P.s. If the business press are to be believed the next few months could be the perfect window to buy in the UK as the UK CB are likely to cut interest rates further while the ECB will lag behind. This will weaken £ further against the €.

rigal wrote: »
    You are correct on the tax front. If you import it before July you will pay the lower (current) road tax for as long as it's on the road.

I imported an RX8 last year after considering both the 350Z and the M3, while doing a bit of research I realised the latter two were out of my budget. When I imported the car the Revenue were starting to clamp down on non declaration of optional extras so you need to bare this in mind when you're looking at a high spec UK model. They don't inspect all cars when you're paying the VRT but if it's a BMW they're more likely to.

Petrol consumption is a big factor. The RX8 is very sore on petrol I never get over 20MPG around dublin. To put that into perspective for you - The most I have ever got from a 60 litre tank of petrol is c.250 miles! I would imagine the M3 is even worse than that although it's a savage car and in my view if you can afford to buy one you should be able to pay the fuel bill.

I only ever considered buying trade in the UK. I wouldn't consider buying trade up North as you will pay a premium and have a much smaller range to choose from compared to across the water. The garage I bought from in Birmingham offered to import the car into Ireland for me at no extra fee and gave me a 6 month parts warranty which they honoured even though I brought the car into another country.

No matter who you buy the car from you should look for mileage verification, HPI and independent mechanic report (RAC/AA).

Also I hear the SMG gear box makes the car a little less demanding to drive.

P.s. If the business press are to be believed the next few months could be the perfect window to buy in the UK as the UK CB are likely to cut interest rates further while the ECB will lag behind. This will weaken £ further against the €.

thanks, very informative.
    I hadn't realised that they ever take the higher spec into account when bringing in a car. Thought the model was as far as they went.

I have been considering the RX8 as well. It's a great car, but have decided against it. (main reason is that one of my best friends is buying one next month. I'm picky that way:rolleyes:)
    Supposedly the Mazda is actually worse than the M3 on fuel... it's probably the only sore point on the RX8.

That's a great deal from the garage you went to... do deliver it and all. I doubt most would do that. I did hope that a warranty could be transferred in some way to a garage here in Ireland. Haven't looked into it much.

Good call on the inspections. Do they cost much? Have you got a link or anything?

Yes, the current climate is ripe for a UK import. And with the TAX changes here, I thought it the best time to buy a sports car too. It will probably be the last chance I get to do so... pushing on ya know :eek:

thanks again for the help.

I have to say that the M3 is a far superior car and I suppose that is reflected in the price.

If you go through a decent garage they should have already had the HPI and Independent Mechanic's inspection done, if not they will help you arrange this, it should cost no more than £150. The mileage issue can be a bit trickier but as the car will be MOT'D you should be able to check this when reviewing the logs books, MOT certs etc.

If you are buying straight with no p/ex you should be able to get a decent discount. Also be sure an discuss payment terms with them before you arrive in the UK. I paid by £ bank draft done through my Irish bank and the garage were a bit paranoid when I produced it to say the least (they'd never heard of AIB). I had to call my Bank Manager and get him to talk to the salesman to verfiy things.

Best of luck!

I have to say that the M3 is a far superior car and I suppose that is reflected in the price.

If you go through a decent garage they should have already had the HPI and Independent Mechanic's inspection done, if not they will help you arrange this, it should cost no more than £150. The mileage issue can be a bit trickier but as the car will be MOT'D you should be able to check this when reviewing the logs books, MOT certs etc.

If you are buying straight with no p/ex you should be able to get a decent discount. Also be sure an discuss payment terms with them before you arrive in the UK. I paid by £ bank draft done through my Irish bank and the garage were a bit paranoid when I produced it to say the least (they'd never heard of AIB). I had to call my Bank Manager and get him to talk to the salesman to verfiy things.

Best of luck!

lol, that's gas.. lucky you got hold of your bank manager.
    Just a quick question on the p/ex. I really hadn't even considered it as an option, I didn't think the UK garages would bother with an Irish car. Was I wrong in this? It is a moot point anyway, I'm currently driving a 01 skoda octavia vRS with 107k miles... it ain't worth much here, never mind over there.
    Also, how do I know if it is a decent garage or not?

I knew a guy who had bought from this garage chain (Inchcape Autoparc) before and had no problems. I think if they have a good level of stock and a reasonable website they should be legit.

I had a UK car to p/ex so they had no problem taking it off me. I would imagine they would be reluctant to take an ROI car.

handy. I don't know any of the garages over there, but I presume if it is a somewhat large one it will be pretty reputable.

TCP/IP wrote: »

missed this post earlier. Thanks man, great link. Loads of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely you cannot compare an rx8 to an m3. I would have an m3 in the morning if I didnt need to use it everyday. Just doing too many miles. cant see you getting 25 mpg on any journey much less around town. Very hard to keep the suspension set up just right on irish roads im told also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Dont want to go off on a tangent but while the assertion that the UK are going to cut interest rates more than Europe over the next few months is correct this may not actually weaken the £. The fact is that the market already has more aggressive cuts priced in for the UK already. The currency has already priced this. We have seen that the EUR has already strenghtened from around .69 to around .77 versus the EUR over the past 6 months

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely you cannot compare an rx8 to an m3. I would have an m3 in the morning if I didnt need to use it everyday. Just doing too many miles. cant see you getting 25 mpg on any journey much less around town. Very hard to keep the suspension set up just right on irish roads im told also

hmmm, who was comparing the rx8 to an m3?

Can someone help me on the SMG transmission please. When using the VRT Calculator, what transmission does the SMG come under? Manual/Automatic/Electronic

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

It would come under manual

TCP/IP wrote: »
    It would come under manual

thanks. That's what I originally thought, but all the SMG cars on autotrader say they are automatic.

Just looking at this one, what do ya think. It's 01, but low mileage and 1 owner. That's always a plus. Do you normally believe these adds about old gentleman owner, never over 85mph etc.
    Thing is, I kinda do. My current car had high mileage when I bought it, but I knew the woman who owned it from new was extremely timid and prob never went over the 60 mark. It was in spectacular condition, and is even now with 107k miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi jim

ive just bought one up North, a 02 Carbon Black with 47000 miles, Kiwi leather and 19" wheels.

IMO colour/interior combo and 19" wheels are must haves after that its up to you, i woudnt subscribe to the belief that ones with all the extras are better looked after :confused:

Mine has been kept excellently and looks even fresher than it should for its relatively low mileage, i dont have tv/sat nav or bluetooth but im not fussed, its an m3 not a s class ;).

Mine is a manual, id didnt particularily want smg but its a personal thing, also if they break they are expensive to fix, the manual should be less likely to cost you money.

I looked at the 01 in dublin you posted, would he really sell for 27? big drop if so, when i looked he wanted 32,500! its a nice car, but imo a little rough around the edges and has been serviced in some odd garages too so i stayed away. Also needs a job done on the rear drives quarter panel where this paint bubbling over a poor repair.

Running costs - it is expensive to maintain but hopefully if well maintained it wont cost you extra. Insp 1/2 services will run you from 700-1000 (if nothing else needs doing), oil service 350+ (oil is expensive) (this are prices from a good independent, double it if you want a bmw s/h), driving around town sees 10-12mpg :eek:longer jounrneys can see almost 30mpg if you are cruising, expect 25 overall. Tax is €1,491 if registered before 1/7 and VRT on my 02 was €9000 exactly, remember if you go for a seemingly cheap uk 03 vrt could be another 2-3k!! on top of the 02 rate. tyres are expensive if you buy PS2s in the std fittement but there are plently of good tyres available in the csl fittement (wider) which is fine on oem 19s, id recommend Falken 452s / Eagle f1s or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

Anything else i can help with just ask, i would say its not suited to daily heavy traffic, heavy clutch, diff groans at low speeds esp when cold, get it on the open road and open it up, then it all makes sense :)

jimbling wrote: »
    thanks. That's what I originally thought, but all the SMG cars on autotrader say they are automatic.

Just looking at this one, what do ya think. It's 01, but low mileage and 1 owner. That's always a plus. Do you normally believe these adds about old gentleman owner, never over 85mph etc.
    Thing is, I kinda do. My current car had high mileage when I bought it, but I knew the woman who owned it from new was extremely timid and prob never went over the 60 mark. It was in spectacular condition, and is even now with 107k miles on it.

yeah, id wonder was it 85mph in second gear tho ;)

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi jim

ive just bought one up North, a 02 Carbon Black with 47000 miles, Kiwi leather and 19" wheels.

Congrats!
    IMO colour/interior combo and 19" wheels are must haves after that its up to you, i woudnt subscribe to the belief that ones with all the extras are better looked after :confused:

Mine has been kept excellently and looks even fresher than it should for its relatively low mileage, i dont have tv/sat nav or bluetooth but im not fussed, its an m3 not a s class ;).
    Ya, I'm not really sure I've found the colour combo that has hit the spot yet. Most of the decent value used ones seem to all be silver/black etc.
    I'm not that concerned with the extras, but the tv/sat nav would be nice.
    Mine is a manual, id didnt particularily want smg but its a personal thing, also if they break they are expensive to fix, the manual should be less likely to cost you money.
    To be honest, I think I'd prefer a manual too.
    I looked at the 01 in dublin you posted, would he really sell for 27? big drop if so, when i looked he wanted 32,500! its a nice car, but imo a little rough around the edges and has been serviced in some odd garages too so i stayed away. Also needs a job done on the rear drives quarter panel where this paint bubbling over a poor repair.

Ya, that car in Dublin does look a bit rough, especially on the inside. I'm in Cork, so haven't really looked at it closely.
    It's down to 29k on carzone, and he dropped that to 28k when I was on the phone to him. Seemingly he needs to sell. How long ago was it that you were looking?
    Is there a problem with resale of M3s in Ireland? Just curious, they seem to be going for very high prices on carzone etc, but wonder are the been sold. If I make the leap, I will probably have it for 2 years and look to move it on.
    Running costs - it is expensive to maintain but hopefully if well maintained it wont cost you extra. Insp 1/2 services will run you from 700-1000 (if nothing else needs doing), oil service 350+ (oil is expensive) (this are prices from a good independent, double it if you want a bmw s/h), driving around town sees 10-12mpg :eek:longer jounrneys can see almost 30mpg if you are cruising, expect 25 overall. Tax is €1,491 if registered before 1/7 and VRT on my 02 was €9000 exactly, remember if you go for a seemingly cheap uk 03 vrt could be another 2-3k!! on top of the 02 rate. tyres are expensive if you buy PS2s in the std fittement but there are plently of good tyres available in the csl fittement (wider) which is fine on oem 19s, id recommend Falken 452s / Eagle f1s or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

Jesus..... it'll be a shock to the system. So what sort of money do you have budgeted for your average year of M3 maintenance? (assuming nothing serious goes wrong - and not including fuel costs)
    Anything else i can help with just ask, i would say its not suited to daily heavy traffic, heavy clutch, diff groans at low speeds esp when cold, get it on the open road and open it up, then it all makes sense :)

I'm not in real heavy traffic that much, put I have a bit of a heavy foot :eek:
    If I get 22/3mpg overall I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks for all the info cyrus. I might be back to you to ask a few more questions.

Actually, just thought of one. Did you get a warranty from the Garage up the North?

i looked at it maybe 3 weeks ago, i dont think theres an issue selling but people are a bit nuts with some valuations imo

the new vrt changes will steady the prices a little (for ones regd pre 30 june), mine would have cost me €10800 in vrt and 2k p/a tax if i imported it in august!!!

maintenance costs, i would budget €1,000 per year for normal servicing and oil changes (i change all oils ie engine gearbox and diff every 7000 miles in all cars) €4-600 for tyres (you will need two at least id say) and then another €1k if it needs suspension consumables changing. Thats an absolute max tho for routine, should be lower

If anything else goes wrong will just have to suck and see!!!

colour combos that are most desirable

carbon black and kiwi or cinamon and steel grey with imola red or black interior

oh and i bought a private car (which was just out of warranty so had a pre warranty expiry check) unless its a bmw warranty most s/h car dealer warranties are crap anyway

i looked at it maybe 3 weeks ago, i dont think theres an issue selling but people are a bit nuts with some valuations imo
    Ah, only that long ago. When I asked for his reason of sale he said he had been made redundant and so can't afford the car anymore. This explains his drop in price. He also only recently brought the car from UK. Said it cost him €31k in total to bring it in.

oh and i bought a private car (which was just out of warranty so had a pre warranty expiry check) unless its a bmw warranty most s/h car dealer warranties are crap anyway
    And did you have reserves about buying private? Did you get checks done to make sure it mechanically sound and wasn't clocked etc?

• Advertisement

hmmm his story when i was there (and he had been made redundant at that point) was that his dad and he were going to buy an 911 instead?

doubt it cost him 31 either, id swear i saw it for sale for £16k, youd have to assume he paid £15.5 at the most = 21k + 7300 vrt = €28-29k

he mentioned to me he lost a few quid on ones he didnt buy (currency loss/rac checks).

on my one, it has a full bmw/sh which gives comfort on the mileage and unless he has replaced the steering wheel, gear knob and interior, it hasnt done big mileage :)

Advertisement