Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Diagnosis Light - All advice Welcome

Options
  • 05-03-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Ok so I dont know much about cars, so tonight driving home, I get a warning light called engine diagnosis. I dont know what to do, the book aint very informative. Basically lads any ideas, oh and can I still drive the car?

eng_man_light_72.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Manual says bring it to a garage asap, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Its does but I have asked a few my friends and they say it can be anything. I thought it maybe the oil, but I have enough oil.

Willstev wrote: »
    Its does but I have asked a few my friends and they say it can be anything.
    They're right, that's why the manual says to bring it to the garage.
    I thought it maybe the oil, but I have enough oil.
    Your car probably has an oil light for if it's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ok so I dont know much about cars, so tonight driving home, I get a warning light called engine diagnosis. I dont know what to do, the book aint very informative. Basically lads any ideas, oh and can I still drive the car?

eng_man_light_72.jpg
    Could be just an odd miss fire or the emmisions gone bad. Usally its nothing serious.

Thats what I thought, and it certainly aint flashing up.

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    Could be just an odd miss fire or the emmisions gone bad. Usally its nothing serious.
    When you say the emissions have gone bad, what does that mean?

Sorry about being such a N00b.

When you say the emissions have gone bad, what does that mean?

Sorry about being such a N00b.
    Ahh your all right;)
    When I say gone bad I mean that theres more Co2 coming out the exhuast that intended. Its usally the lamba sensor but worst case senario it might be the catalytic converter.(€600 rough) And by the way bad emissions is a fail in the NCT.

Thank god I am covered by my warranty until the end of March.

Well go and get it looked at ASAP. Run forest run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Willstev not sure if it still applies, but in the past heard references to
    red light = stop driving now
    orange light = ok to stay driving but get it looked at asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

As previously mentioned,bring car back to garage asap,the garage computer will diagnoise problem and recommend course of action.Nice for you that you still have warranty:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Two things come to mind:

Usually when this type of warning lamp comes on it needs to be re-set by computer to get it extinguished.

As for the failed cat, if the cat is downstream of the last sensor (lambda) would the ECU pick it up that its failed?

Ok so one thing, I tested the dip stick, and it kept coming out bone dry = BAD.

I thought I should have recieved a warning the oil was running low, maybe thats what this warning is. So I topped up with oil, obviously though I still need to go to the garage to get it checked and the warning reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

What are the details? Model, Year, Mileage etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I had an auld Jammer as a loner (Hyundai Accent, no laughing please) while my car was being serviced, and it had an orange engine light on as well.
    When I asked the garage was it ok to drive? they said ya, it just needs a service.
    perhaps its that, As OP have said get it looked at ASAP....

Oilrig wrote: »
    What are the details? Model, Year, Mileage etc?
    Seat Ibiza 2005, 18000Miles.

Oilrig wrote: »
    As for the failed cat, if the cat is downstream of the last sensor (lambda) would the ECU pick it up that its failed?
    There are two o2 sensors in modern cars, one before the cat in the exhuast manifold (usually) and one after the cat. The one after the cat has the sole purpose of monitoring the health of the cat. As part of the emissions control system it has been law for quite a while, tho I'm not 100% sure how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya sensor after the cat too now.

I would certainly be more worried about oil not showing on the dip stick that the management light. Dont drive til you get oil in it. Check it on a level surface!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Seat Ibiza 2005, 18000Miles.

As with any engine , check your oil every week. This is especially true of VAG engines which tend to use quite a bit of oil from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

groupb wrote: »
    As with any engine , check your oil every week. This is especially true of VAG engines which tend to use quite a bit of oil from new.

I had audi 80 and audi TT and never had to top up either between 10k services! Alfa 166 was the opposite though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

This light means that one or more of the sensors controling your engines fuel injection system - (which makes sure that your car is running efficiantly and within emission laws set) - has at some stage operated outside of the parameters set by the manufacturer. There are literaly hundreds of reasons why it may have come on. There is no point speculating. Bring it to a fully qualified mechanic/technichian who should be able to inform you as to what/why/when this happened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

1st thing to do will be to top up the oil to make sure you have enough.

I'd recommend disconnecting the battery (make sure you know the radio code if those radios have one before doing this). Leave it for about 30 mins then reconnect the battery. This should knock off the EML light on VAG group cars.

If the light comes back on then you know you have an ongoing problem, if it stays off then it was just a temporary glitch that triggered the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

same light was on in my honda, i went to google and found a honda forum, found my model and year and they explained how to restart the light with the key set to on and that engine management light will flash a certain amount of times. you count the flashes then check them against the list of numbers and problems they gave.

i suggest you try the same

All fixed, brought it down to the dealership this morning. The problem was a faulty EGR valve, something small thank god.

Advertisement