Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Mechanics for Modifications?

Options
  • 05-03-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some contacts for a cheap mechanic/garage that specializes in modded/imported high performance parts.

Just got an mr2 turbo and dont wana bring it down to my local garage as I wouldnt say they have the expertise to install mods.

I have stainless steel head gasket, bigger injectors, bigger pump, fuel rail, boost controller, safc etc etc to go in (a LOT of stuff to go in ;))

Can anyone recommend a cheapish garage/individual that does good work?

My local garage charges €50 per hour for labour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

If your local garage charges €50 per hour then I'll be heading up there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

:confused:
    thats all easy stuff to install, id do it myself with my mates over a weekend.
    id say your garage easily has the expertise to fit the gear.
    unless its kwik fit;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

normal labour is like 75 an hour right?? 50 is cheap bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

KidCapree wrote: »
    normal labour is like 75 an hour right?? 50 is cheap bud
    €70 - €80 is the going rate in places down by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I'd do it myself and charge you 45 p/h but im chock-o-block with work on my mates wreak of a civic...

all that work is rather simple... any garage can do them... its just better and cheaper to do it yourself.... couldn't hurt learning a trick or two ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

S.I.R wrote: »
    I'd do it myself and charge you 45 p/h but im chock-o-block with work on my mates wreak of a civic...

all that work is rather simple... any garage can do them... its just better and cheaper to do it yourself.... couldn't hurt learning a trick or two ??

hey man, im not looking to get this done straight away, no rush at all, few months down the line, i have all the parts, just saving up for the labour ;)

Would you be free in a few months?

I tried to learn stuff before with engines/cars and can do simple tasks, but anything lightly difficult i feck up real bad, just dont have the mind for it :(

Like il have a lot of the crap work done, like routing cables etc, ready for the safc to go in etc.... stuff i defo wont be able to do is head gasket/timing belt/bushings/fuel rail/injectors/pump and tuning of boost controller/safc... the rest i "should" be able to do :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Join an owners club.

Some of that stuff is easily done DIY and there's no one cheaper than yourself. This stuff is also good to know so you can fix and identify the simpler problems down the road.

Also an owners club will provide support in times of woe.

Join an owners club.

Some of that stuff is easily done DIY and there's no one cheaper than yourself. This stuff is also good to know so you can fix and identify the simpler problems down the road.

Also an owners club will provide support in times of woe.

well i was told for the mr2, you pretty much have to take the engine out to do all that work, wouldnt have the tools/equipment for any of that or the expertise in putting it back together.

owners club is a good idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

try the toyota owners club forum.

As it happens, today they are experiencing difficulties, never saw this before.

Sometimes youtube can be helpful, as people are posting how-to guides.

Kev.

Also, my Toyota GT is up with a qualified Toyota mechanic, who I have recommended to friends. He is very reasonable.

try the toyota owners club forum.

As it happens, today they are experiencing difficulties, never saw this before.

Sometimes youtube can be helpful, as people are posting how-to guides.

Kev.

Also, my Toyota GT is up with a qualified Toyota mechanic, who I have recommended to friends. He is very reasonable.

thanks for the info mate, u got a link to the owners club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

if you want the headgasket fitted thats major work. your not going to get a job like that done cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Advertisement