Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best french make

Options
  • 05-03-2008 10:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

what do you think is the best french make for everything s -peugeot/citroen/renault
    personally its the peugeot for me.

best french make 62 votes

peugeot
    0% 0 votes
    renault
    64% 40 votes
    citroen
    35% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Peugeot/Citroen are the same company, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bugatti or Airbus...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Citroen for me...lots of (probably rose-tinted) fun had in my old 1.1 AX, still the best small car I have ever driven, although I like all French cars. Not so much Peugeot since they decided to start making lard laden lumps (ie. with the demise of the 405 MI16 and 205 GTI). Saying that my Mum's 107 is very funky and good to drive.

Nearly bought a Clio 197 last year, probably best I didn't...:rolleyes:

Venturi are/were good as well, until they went electric mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Peugeot 505. Best of the lot.

My friend's family had an '85 Peugeot 505 estate for years, it just kept going and going. From what I saw it nearly never broke down. And it was built like a tank.

What happened to Peugeot? I think when the 206 came along, it all went downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Peugeot for me. But maybe I am biased, because I drive one :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Max_Damage wrote: »

My friend's family had an '85 Peugeot 505 estate for years, it just kept going and going. From what I saw it nearly never broke down. And it was built like a tank.

What happened to Peugeot? I think when the 206 came along, it all went downhill from there.

I disagree... the 206 is a great handling little hatch. It's the 307 that killed Peugeot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've driven several 2.8 V6s, a GTI and a regular 2 litre, all in the last 4 or 5 years. I actually technically owned one of the V6s for a few months. They were all really bad. I can maybe see how they might have been great in their day tho. But not now.

Back to the poll. The French do some things really really well: Sexy women with French accents, wine, some food, and some parts of France are really nice. There are some things the French don't do so well, like war and building cars. So I'll decline to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

JHMEG wrote: »
    I've driven several 2.8 V6s, a GTI and a regular 2 litre, all in the last 4 or 5 years. I actually technically owned one of the V6s for a few months. They were all really bad. I can maybe see how they might have been great in their day tho. But not now.

Back to the poll. The French do some things really really well: Sexy women with French accents, wine, some food, and some parts of France are really nice. There are some things the French don't do so well, like war and building cars. So I'll decline to vote.

I agree entirely with the above. However Citroen designer's down through the years have gone from the quirky to absolute Leonardos so, on that basis Citroen gets a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Peugeot 404 was nice. My old man had one for a while. Only prob with them is they had a phosphor bronze rear dif which would turn to pulp if EP 90 gearbox oil was used. Saw heaps of them still being used as taxis in Cairo a few years ago.

404.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kill-joy

Peugeot is defo the best of the 3, I have an 1987 205 cti (cabrio gti) for those who dont know, I havent got her started since november and dont know whats going wrong with her, it was the last great peugeot with exception to the 306? and it all went wrong with the 206, must get some pics up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I suppose Peugeot. My first car was a 205 XRAD van. Probably the best diesel engine of the eighties. Easy 50mpg, flexible and relatively refined compared to what was coming out of Japan and Germany at the time. It didn't even blow black smoke under hard acceleration which can't be said for normally aspirated Corolla engines of the same vintage. Don't believe me? Ask any independent mechanic. Grip was good too and you really got a sense of it's limits handling wise which made it a hoot to drive. I'd regularly do the M7 from Dublin to Portlaoise in great time. I'd just keep the Pug at a steady ninety all the way and never had any problems.
    Mine had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend for a nominal sum. He's driving it from Tipp to Dublin weekly. Stready ninety on the motorways for him too. Still going strong. Loved that car.
    307 is a ball of ****e though I'm sorry to say. Not impressed by the 308 either.
    306, especially the D-Turbos were great motors too. Ditto the 406 although I'm not sure about the 407.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I had a 205 too. An unbreakable car.
    It saved peugeot in the 80s' .
    I think its strange that so many people on boards slag off French cars and yet they have probably come up with far more innovations than any other car making country.
    BTW Renault who are extremely sucessful at the moment , are about to become the worlds third biggest car maker. Their taking over lada.
    The best selling car in Europe at the moment is the 207.
    Anyway back to the origonal post , As I look at the model DS & light 15 beside my pc , I'm with citroen ,Ah hold on 205 GTI (the real gti) ,205t16 ,the climb dance video ................I can't make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If I'm to put my 205 bias aside I'd say the best French maker is Citroen. I love the C6. It's a proper modern Citroen. Looks great in a quirky kind of way. In retrospect my vote goes to Citroen overall cos some modern Pugs have disappointed:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

im surprised renaults gone any votes at all with ye bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a bit like asking "What's your favourite Westlife song"
    the answer's the same

they're all sh*te!

I have'nt voted because as I said before so many diverse cars have come from these three. Renault built the GTA , Peugeot the 205 GTI, Citroen the stunning DS , but none of these wash with the majority of people here who can't wait to see the latest white goods release from the likes of Audi. Maybe if we don't look back but look at the current ranges , I would have to vote for Renault purely because it builds the scenic(mk2) which at 5 years old has yet to be bettered in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the answer's the same

they're all sh*te!

.......and the award for 'Post of the Day' goes to Colm_mcm :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the answer's the same

they're all sh*te!

That explains why the 207 is europes best selling car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Peugeot...bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

groupb wrote: »

And why Westlife have had something like 14 number 1's?

• Advertisement

Let me guess. You would prefer an Audi or a VW?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ChowChow

@colm_mcm I drive a 207 GT and there's an awful lot to like about it - I frankly don't know of any other new car that offers the same spec for the money (25K). It handles well, has bucket loads of torque (same engine used in new Cooper S but less horsepower in Pug) and gives 40mpg as well. It's my first Pug and one year on no problems to report - I would definitely buy another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

What I really dislike with all French cars it seems is that the pedals are far too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

What I really dislike with all French cars it seems is that the pedals are far too close together.

I've only driven a Peugeot but found that was the case, very cramped at the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭blackbox

I used to have a BX 16V. Fantastic car . Not many cars could be driven as fast on bad Irish back roads because of great suspension. I have a theoretically faster car now, but in practice I have to slow up for bumps.

Unfortunately it wasn't very well built. Should have been provided with bag and net to collect fluids and parts as it shed them. Got to hairy when the power steering started to work intermittently - had to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Citroën - A little more innovation than the other French brands.

Do'nt think the word "innovation" is going to strike a chord with people on this forum. They prefer the comfort zone where there new audi A4 has better quality vents than the last one. Sure everyone knows that cars like the DS , Clio16v , CX , 505 ,alpine 205gti etc were crap where'as the 80,90, A4,A6 zzzzzzzzzz............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

groupb wrote: »
    It deserves to be too. It has BMW petrol engines in it:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

coolbeans wrote: »
    I suppose Peugeot. My first car was a 205 XRAD van. Probably the best diesel engine of the eighties. Easy 50mpg, flexible and relatively refined compared to what was coming out of Japan and Germany at the time

Had one of them for a while as a shared company car in the early 90s. Mine had about 700,000km on it and it still had plenty of poke for such a small car. Wheelspin in second gear :)

• Advertisement

They were the motoring equivelant of a cockroach - you just could'nt kill them.
    Btw a friend in Finland had a bx diesel with over a million kms and still going strong.
    Anyway what would I know. I'm sure that colm mcm is happy in the knowledge that millions of peugeot, citroen & renault bought the wrong cars.

Advertisement