Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best french make

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's a bit like asking "What's your favourite Westlife song"
    the answer's the same

they're all sh*te!
    .......and the award for 'Post of the Day' goes to Colm_mcm :D

+1 :D:D

Made me laugh a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Peugeot went through a real purple period in the late '80s-late '90s. It started with the 205 in early 80s I suppose but 306, 405 & - to a lesser extent - 406 were all pretty much the best handling/best looking in class (this is back when Fords were crap). The 309 deserves an honourable mention also.

They've really fallen backwards though. Every other manufacturer has improved quality & reliability I think but not Peugeot. And the ergonomics of the 407 is a disaster - lots of buttons. According to the motoring hacks they don't lead the field on handling any more either, prefering a more middle-of-the-road policy. Their mantle has been taken over by Ford and Mazda IMO.

Citroen is a marque I'd love to love... They have a lot of rebuilding to do however and are saddled with PSA platforms. I luv the looks of the C4, new C5 and C6 but none are anywhere near top-of-class in their respective sectors and reliability/residual worries remain.

Renault? To their credit the Megane II and Laguna II were innovative designs but everything else about 'em these days is a bit crap.

Favorite French maker? Well one of my favorite cars of all time is the 504 coupe:

http://www.trulinesteering.com.au/Images/Gallery/images/Peugeot%20504%20Coupe.jpg

...but it's really hard to justify any of 'em at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

And why Westlife have had something like 14 number 1's?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They sold songs and they made money - end game.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't buy their albums,
    not my thing.
    Nor are French cars,
    people still buy them though!

people still buy them though!

And that's what counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so on that basis, the best French (or any) car is the one which sells the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pburns wrote: »
    They've really fallen backwards though. Every other manufacturer has improved quality & reliability I think but not Peugeot.

I don't know about that - I think the general trend in car reliability is downwards. Too many new cars are being put on sale before being fully de-bugged, and the consumer has turned into the R & D department....

Audi's, Merc's, Ford's - all have some atrocious issues. Case in point - the entire VAG group uses complete ****e for both coilpacks and MAF's. BMW give them a close run for 2nd on the MAF front. VAG score again on the A6's and A4's, suspension joints made of.........poo.

Ditto, Renault and their petrol coils, and EGR's on their diesels.

GM and coil packs. Volvo on electronics, generally. BMW, i-drive - should be renamed i-dunno-drive.

Ford and ECU's.

Anything with a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). Should be renamed DNF.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't know about that - I think the general trend in car reliability is downwards. Too many new cars are being put on sale before being fully de-bugged, and the consumer has turned into the R & D department....

Audi's, Merc's, Ford's - all have some atrocious issues. Case in point - the entire VAG group uses complete ****e for both coilpacks and MAF's. BMW give them a close run for 2nd on the MAF front. VAG score again on the A6's and A4's, suspension joints made of.........poo.

Ditto, Renault and their petrol coils, and EGR's on their diesels.

GM and coil packs. Volvo on electronics, generally. BMW, i-drive - should be renamed i-dunno-drive.

Ford and ECU's.

Anything with a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). Should be renamed DNF.

I bow, sir, to your superior knowledge...
    (...and I'm not being sarcastic!:))

You probably have a point. Leaving that aside though, last time i rode in a 206 (not a particularly old one) I was shocked at how tinny, rattly and cheap it felt. Haven't experienced that with other marques...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Renault for me.

I had a crash. My Clio '92 was OK and I was able to drive away. The Seat Ibizawas destroyed and had to be towed.
    There was an over 10m skid mark behind the seat , it was going so fast. It hit me on the side.

I heard about Peugeots 505 that had 500 000k on the clock. And after you hear French car aren't reliable .. :O)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You need to see the specs on the versions on sale here in France. They are totally different cars. You're making judgements on seriously cut-down versions. Not really fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

It's a bit like asking "What's your favourite Westlife song"
    the answer's the same

they're all sh*te!

Got to agree! PSA and renault produce crap. They're all awful so i'll decline to vote, you really need an atari jaguar option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Peugeot. i'm the biggest peugeot fanboy here :)

Renaults tend to be ugly as sin. especially that Nissan Primastar thing that Renault makes under a different name

LolaDub wrote: »
    Got to agree! PSA and renault produce crap. They're all awful so i'll decline to vote, you really need an atari jaguar option!

jaguar is french now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

towel401 wrote: »
    jaguar is french now?
    No, it's Indian just like Land Rover. :pac:

Everyone has their own viewpoint - but how can you slate the new C5 as crap? Have you driven one?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Renaults tend to be ugly as sin. especially that Nissan Primastar thing that Renault makes under a different name

As vans go, it's hardly any more or less ugly than any others. Renault have their own one of that van too, its not just Renault made for Nissan, its the Trafic, Primastar and Vivaro.

Hagar wrote: »
    No, it's Indian just like Land Rover. :pac:

Hagar shouldn't you be raking in the booze for the weekend ;)

Towel an atari option as a default option, never heard of it?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Everyone has their own viewpoint - but how can you slate the new C5 as crap? Have you driven one?

The french are alright at making small engined city cars, they tend to lose it when they try to move onto bigger things. Their problem with smaller cars is they overprice them for what they are and they're not as reliable as their japanese competitors. I drove the c5 for about 15 mins, there were a number of things i didn't like about but they were mostly my personal preference. I would be concerned about reliability if i had one on my drive tomorrow (although i'd trade it in the second i saw it for something better different but i suppose we'll see whether it is or isn't soon enough!

I drove the c5 for about 15 mins

A whole 15 mins - wow. I've managed 10,000 km without issue. 35,000 in a C4 Picasso before that without any problems.

Reliabilty - no issues so far with the C5. A lot more than the VW Passat can boast given it's the AA's most recovered car.

The 1.6HDI bulletproof - nobody in the motor industry will argue with that.

e and they're not as reliable as their japanese competitors.

Either are any other non-japanese makes. Audi came below one or two (renault anyway iirc) of the French makes for warranty claims last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Reliability in newish cars has become a bit of a non-issue in recent years. The difference in reliability between the most reliable and the least reliable new car is very small indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness lads the diesel engine as we know today would probably still be in the dark ages if it were not for the likes of the French. Not even mentioning that the Citroen DS was well ahead of its time in many areas.

French cars have their problems but they have contributed alot to the motor industry. Credit were credit is due imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I have a c4 as my company car now. I hate it, I despise it. Had Tried parking it in Ballymun with the key in it, even the scummers won't take it. If it was stolen I could have a Seat Leon.

Had a Laguna before and I spent more time in rentals while it was off being repaired. Anything that could go wrong with that car went wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

18170.jpg?is=350,350,0xffffff

heres a french maid more reliable than any french car.

markos79 wrote: »
    18170.jpg?is=350,350,0xffffff

heres a french maid more reliable than any french car.

probably needs a new clutch plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

depends on the model... the 106 is utterly bullet proof... the 205 is a craicing motor... the renault 5 clio laguna and older meganes... Wohoo great motors...

the ****reon xzara is a brilliant car too... majority have crap owners... thus they get a bad rep..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

probably needs a new clutch plate

no thread left on that yoke... might aswell be f...ing a bucket. >.>

Stekelly wrote: »
    As vans go, it's hardly any more or less ugly than any others. Renault have their own one of that van too, its not just Renault made for Nissan, its the Trafic, Primastar and Vivaro.

ah now the 1st generation Scudo & clones are nice enough looking. there's a few other nice looking vans around like the new VW caddy although they are not full sized. Primastar and the like have to be one of the ugliest vans along with the Fiat Doblo and the Kangoo which looks like a really big gee whizz

ah now the 1st generation Scudo & clones are nice enough looking. there's a few other nice looking vans around like the new VW caddy although they are not full sized. Primastar and the like have to be one of the ugliest vans along with the Fiat Doblo and the Kangoo which looks like a really big gee whizz

How many people buy vans for looks? Price and function is the name of the game for any serious businesses person. It's a box on wheels. Space is what vans are for. A tradesman who spends more time tarting up his van than working is not much use.

As it stands the Trafic is the most comfortable van I've driven. Nice place to be , all told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Berlingo vans are the best modern Citroens, they are uncomplicated and maybe thats the key to success- no troublesome electrics.

In the 1990's, the Peugeot 205 and 405 ruled. 405 GLD's were possibly the most popular car in rural Ireland. The lucky few had GTDT's and the luckier still Mi 16.

The 205 GTi was an amazing car, pity Peugeot lost the plot with the replacements.

Advertisement