Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best french make

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

French cars unreliable? I wonder how Sebastien Loeb managed to win the World Rally championship with his Citroen .. He must be really good ... :D

(Citroen winner 2004-2007)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_Drivers%27_Champions
    1db4-2008-Citroen-C4-WRC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Citroen and Peugeot are one and the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Can't believe this thread is going the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Peugeot 505. Best of the lot.

My friend's family had an '85 Peugeot 505 estate for years, it just kept going and going. From what I saw it nearly never broke down. And it was built like a tank.

What happened to Peugeot? I think when the 206 came along, it all went downhill from there.

The old Peugeots like the 505 are mad popular in Africa along with the Corolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Renaults have to be the worst manufacturer ever. I remember during the heavy rain checking out the amount of cars broken down. It was Renault: 3 Every other manufacturer in the world: 0.
    And the floods on the Saturday before: Renault: 4, Merc: 1.
    And that's just breaking down, never mind all the stuff inside that breaks off and electrics that stop working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Quint wrote: »
    Renaults have to be the worst manufacturer ever. I remember during the heavy rain checking out the amount of cars broken down. It was Renault: 3 Every other manufacturer in the world: 0.
    And that's just breaking down, never mind all the stuff inside that breaks off and electrics that stop working

Good man, despite them not coming bottom of the owner surveys or stat based ones (no of faults per 100 cars) they are clearly the worst. The arent even the worst French make , stat wise, in recent times.

Driving through a flood will kill any car, as witnessed in the recent floods that saw the papers full of pictures for days of any make of car and van you chose
    broken down in it.

Build quality or reliability makes no difference and come a distant 2nd to stupidity when large amounts of water are brought into the equation.

The French also make submarines. Much more reliable under water.
    frtriomphant.jpg

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    The French also make submarines. Much more reliable under water.
    frtriomphant.jpg

They should really educate the crew. Inside is much safer in a sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Chucky4celtic

Biro wrote: »
    Bugatti or Airbus...

the bugatti is built by Volkswagen AG subsidiary Bugatti Automobiles SAS so is it technically really french

Stekelly wrote: »
    Build quality or reliability makes no difference and come a distant 2nd to stupidity when large amounts of water are brought into the equation.
    It's funny that they were the only car broken down, and they weren't in floods! It's just there seemed to be a particularly large amount of renaults broken down that day. Do you 2 guys sell renaults by any chance?

• Advertisement

It's funny that they were the only car broken down, and they weren't in floods! It's just there seemed to be a particularly large amount of renaults broken down that day. Do you 2 guys sell renaults by any chance?

Even if we did sell Renaults (which I don't, I'm a plumber fwiw) I wouldn't be responsible for reliability and ownership surveys, and uk based ones at that. I'm good, but not that good.

And if they weren't in the floods then I don't see what the floods have to do with it, in case you havnt noticed it rains a hell of a lot here. By your reckoning we should all be gridlocked with rusting Renaults lying all over the road.

At the end of the day Renault had a bad patch with the 01-05 Laguna 2 phase and the 03 - Megane. Having said that there are a lot more trouble free ones than not. I know 3 or 4 of each among friends (and friends of friends) and family. They are a make that suffers badly from the "man down the pub said" whereas so called solid makes like Audi can have poor (and worse than Renault) results and not suffer at all. Ask the man on the street and they will tell you VW and Audi are great cars that never give trouble. Some people ( a lot in Ireland) believe what they want to believe and take what the "expert" in the pub says as gospel, despite him having said it 20 years ago.

Just telling you what I saw. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

I worked with Renault for years. It was great for getting to know customers, I would see them every week waiting in the service dept. I miss dealing with annoyed customers ahh those were the days. 01 Laguna coils/windows/shocks/key cards/alloys/aircon/flashing lights on dash/tires the list goes on and then came the migraine sorry Megane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

French cars are the best.

and renault is the best of the lot of them. :D

I worked with Renault for years. It was great for getting to know customers, I would see them every week waiting in the service dept. I miss dealing with annoyed customers ahh those were the days. 01 Laguna coils/windows/shocks/key cards/alloys/aircon/flashing lights on dash/tires the list goes on and then came the migraine sorry Megane.

I used to work in a customer service dpt, and I rarely saw happy customers. I had the impression that none of the products my company sold worked!

It would have been interesting to know the percentage of cars with problems.

At the end of the day, some cars (some models/years) have known issues. This is true for all makes.

Renault makes cars since the end of 19th century.

I used to work in a customer service dpt, and I rarely saw happy customers. I had the impression that none of the products my company sold worked!.

I cant see why anyone working in a customer service dept would be any different. How many people go back to somewhere they buy something to tell the people there how great it is. The only time I've ever gone back to a shop is when something is wrong (obviously excluding repeat business)

the bugatti is built by Volkswagen AG subsidiary Bugatti Automobiles SAS so is it technically really french

It was half Italian too at another stage!! Sure if that's the case is Volvo American rather than Sweedish? :) It's French enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

French cars unreliable? I wonder how Sebastien Loeb managed to win the World Rally championship with his Citroen .. He must be really good ... :D

(Citroen winner 2004-2007)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_Drivers%27_Champions
    1db4-2008-Citroen-C4-WRC.jpg

ye thats because mr.loeb gets a new engine for every rally!!!!

markos79 wrote: »
    ye thats because mr.loeb gets a new engine for every rally!!!!

Ok so. How has my clio done 22k miles with only oil changes?
    It should have broke down hundreds of times!

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Ok so. How has my clio done 22k miles with only oil changes?
    It should have broke down hundreds of times!

Pah, mine did more than that without one (it was badly treated early on) It's now on 85k ish in the care of my mother without incident. My dads Laguna just passed the nct with flying colours at 112k (with nothing done since he got it 18months ago except carrying around 150kg of tools and being on its knees for the last 12k).

My 2 safranes had 210k on them between them at time of purchase. I put 10k more or so on them and one is on carzone with another 10k on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

as usual with boards a 6 page discussion about reliability totally ignoring the dynamic abilities of the cars in question.

No one has mentioned the fact the French dominated the hot hatch arena for years with some brilliant handling, fun cars - no one was close to them with regard to chassis design providing super handling while all the while maintaining superb ride.

I spent the last few weeks about Europe and was delighted to see the majority of folk still buy European - thank god their car knowledge isn't as low as this country's else they'd all be driving jap crap like us Irish all seem to be ( oh yea its coz they are reliable :rolleyes: )

RobAMerc wrote: »

I spent the last few weeks about Europe and was delighted to see the majority of folk still buy European - thank god their car knowledge isn't as low as this country's else they'd all be driving jap crap like us Irish all seem to be ( oh yea its coz they are reliable :rolleyes: )

In my grannies town in southern Germany I only remember seeing 1 none european car, and that was because I was in it (I'm not saying there isnt more, the blandness just doesnt register :)) . My mothers friends Jazz (not a very comfy place to be , especially with more than 3 people in it). The town and it's outlying areas has about 100k people at a guess.

Also has the only Phaeton I've seen up close. Theres Twingos everywhere there too, everyone must have gotten a free one or something, there are seriously loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

My 2 safranes had 210k on them between them at time of purchase. I put 10k more or so on them and one is on carzone with another 10k on it.

As I recall, at least one of them was a 2.5, which had a Volvo engine, and Volvos tend to be very good at the whole reliability thing:)!

E92 wrote: »
    As I recall, at least one of them was a 2.5, which had a Volvo engine, and Volvos tend to be very good at the whole reliability thing:)!

It was, but the 2.0 was a Renault engine and had 25k more miles.:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pah, mine did more than that without one (it was badly treated early on) It's now on 85k ish in the care of my mother without incident. My dads Laguna just passed the nct with flying colours at 112k (with nothing done since he got it 18months ago except carrying around 150kg of tools and being on its knees for the last 12k).

sorry yeah, mine has 88k on it now. :D

excellent cars, just because you can't abuse them like you can tacky japanese cars doesn't mean much.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    as usual with boards a 6 page discussion about reliability totally ignoring the dynamic abilities of the cars in question.

No one has mentioned the fact the French dominated the hot hatch arena for years with some brilliant handling, fun cars - no one was close to them with regard to chassis design providing super handling while all the while maintaining superb ride.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss all Jap as crap and all Euro as fantastic.
    306 GTI-6 was the last good French hatch, and the 306 HDI 3dr would be my choice any day over the Irish favourite Golf TDI from the same era.

Biro wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss all Jap as crap and all Euro as fantastic.
    306 GTI-6 was the last good French hatch, and the 306 HDI 3dr would be my choice any day over the Irish favourite Golf TDI from the same era.

Clio 172 up through 197?

I'd say they're very good french hatches and that's right up till 2008!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

ClioV6 wrote: »
    sorry yeah, mine has 88k on it now. :D

excellent cars, just because you can't abuse them like you can tacky japanese cars doesn't mean much.

cliov6,you obviously know nothing about cars if your saying a renault is better and less tacky than any japanese car, get a grip.french cars are pure ****e and thats the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Citroen for me. The DS was the best.

Advertisement