Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition course

Options
  • 05-03-2008 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey has anybody ever done an ignition course??I have mine next week and wondering how it works and what to expect?Does it bring your insurance down much?? Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I did it a long time ago. Much harder than your driving test-much more observation, breaking, awareness required. Didn't get it at the time, so made feck all difference to my insurance. One of my friends reckoned he got 30% off, I guess he was a seriously advanced driver.....

Not a bad idea to do it anyway-they still refund the fee as long as you turn up, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ive heard its good, most people pass no problem so dont worry bout that, it focuses on obervation a lot from what i hear from people that have went.

It does give a good discount on the insurance in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Ignition is sound,

The €100 you pay is refunded whether you pass or fail, it's more of a security deposit to make sure you show up and not have the instructor turn up for nothing.

The course itself is now only hour long(it used to be a whole day) with an 85% pass rate. 8.5 outta 10 people!

Discounts are 20% for pass, 30% for merit and 40% for distinction, a distinction will not happen. Hibernian will give you a further 10% discount on top of all results.

You can, if you wish opt to sign up to a curfew to get 50% discount, for that you must Pass the course and sign a contract stating that you will not drive your car from 11PM to 6AM.

The instructor will be looking at the manner in which you drive, how you maintain your speed, use of mirrors, the amount of space that you leave the car in front of you, awareness and your ability to be able to predict hazzards that could happen( e.g, a football on the road, expect a kid to come after it etc.)

You call Hibernian the next day for the result, if your do the course early in the morning, your result will be ready after 2:00:confused:

Tip
    If you have to cross the line over to the other side of the road to avoid a parked car, INDICATE, big part of the course is concideration for other drivers.

And don't coast as this is dangerous if the roads are icy.......They will ask you why?:eek:

If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know!

*****Edit
    Just remembered, your discount is valid for 4 yrs. It goes after that and the discount is only valid on cars up to 1600cc, once you pass 1600cc you will loose the discount

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Twas brill for me(5 yrs ago). Went from €5200 TPFT with Quinn on a 1L polo(1st insurance) to €3200 fully comp with Hibernian on a 1.4 Leon. In fairness, if you are anyway competant and remember the "technicalities" of ur driving test u will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Muzzy wrote: »
    a distinction will not happen.

I got a distiction.

When did the course get cut from a day to an hour? Thats a massive reduction... and how can it be as efficent? Seems a bit silly to me.

Anyway, awareness and observation is key. You can get alsorts of questions that if you're not expecting them can catch you off guard.
    Like, what was the last road sign you saw? Everybody usually knows what signs mean but not everyone can remember the last one you passed.
    Stuff like, why would you drive with your lights turned on on a bright sunny day?
    If a driver is dazzled by the sun they may not see you but they might see your lights....

Another thing is to be aware and react to everything. EVERYTHING!!!
    If you pass a junction, adjust your speed, throw a glance into the joining road as you pass it(same goes for gateways). If there's anything on the road at all adjust your speed to acknowledge that you saw it and you're reacting.

Example: During my test run (not the actual test) I drove through some road works and there was a big slab of sheet metal on the road covering a hole which I had to drive over. It was tiny so I didn't slow down. As soon as I drove up on it I was asked if I saw the metal and why I didn't react to it.

So, basically, be very observant and react to everything and don't speed EVER but keep your accelleration progressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I did it about 5 years ago in Limerick and imo i thought it was simple, very easy.

It took about 30 to 40% off my insurance.

Was a day long 1 fella failed but he was a nervous wreck poor fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Its a brilliant idea, did it a couple of years ago and it relly improved my driving. it makes every drive a challenge, spotting the potential dangers.
    On my first run with the instructor we were going through a housing estate and he asked me what dangers there might be, I listed all the regular, cars pulling out, kids running after footballs etc. but the one I missed was the bin lorry, all the bins were out and facing the same way so the bin lorry wasent too far ahead.
    Definately do it, its not the usual condesending driving instructor sh1t, they actually give you good advice and they will constantly give you useful tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Was one of the first to do Ignition 5years ago.
    It's the reason I'm not a bad statistic on the road these days.

Definitely do it. I would make it compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

egan007 wrote: »

I agree-I think it would do a lot to educate people that lessons or the 'test' don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

egan007 wrote: »
    Was one of the first to do Ignition 5years ago.
    It's the reason I'm not a bad statistic on the road these days.

Em, how is it and solely it attributable to you not being dead, then. I've been driving massive mileage for 4 years and I'm not a 'bad statistic' and not only did I not do the Ignition course (because Quinn is still cheaper for me) I never did driving lessons - self taught. Passed test first go.

• Advertisement

This is only a small thing but I'd attribute it to the Ignition course. This morning driving up the N9 there was a lorry, 2 cars then me. The lorry moved into the hard shoulder a bit to allow us all pass. The first 2 cars passed no problem and as I was just about to overtake I noticed we were approaching a junction so I pulled back and waited till we passed the junction as it was very likely that the lorry would move back out of the hard shoulder when passing the junction. Which he did, then he moved back in and I passed safely.

Its stuff like that you'll pick up from doing the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

...or reading "Roadcraft" by the Met Police Driving School, which I've always thought should be compulsary too... seems a similar opinion to egan007 just a different means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Its stuff like that you'll pick up from doing the course.
    Or alternatively just using your common sense ...

Alun wrote: »

I'm not sure if that comment was meant to be smartar$e or not....
    common sense is CLEARLY not always used by irish motorists and I'm just saying the ignition course makes you much more aware of possible risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that comment was meant to be smartar$e or not....
    common sense is CLEARLY not always used by irish motorists and I'm just saying the ignition course makes you much more aware of possible risks.
    Me, a smartar$e? Not at all. I was just pointing out that the specific example you pointed out was just plain, old-fashioned common sense that's all, i.e. don't overtake (even if someone's pulling in for you) if you're approaching a junction. Elementary stuff you should have learnt in the first place when learning to drive (as opposed to learning to pass a driving test which is what most people here seem to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Alun wrote: »

To use a cliché, common sense sometimes isn't very common! Among motorists that's often particularly true.

Advertisement