Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3 meg - and they say its sorted :(

Options
  • 05-03-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

242627830.png

i rang them, and they said it's all sorted. "Engineer" came down last week to "look" at my setup, ha ha ha, he asked me what the little black box connected to the phone socket was, duh, its for the cordless phone.

i sowed him my connection stats on the pc, and he hadn't a clue what he was looking at. What dont Eircom send out somone who knows what there doing?

Im ringing comreg tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mine on BT 3 meg.

242639245.png

Whats your modem syncing at?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

On the basis that you are not posting just for sheer therapy it would be helpful to give some background as to what exactly has been going on oh and do give your line stats. 'Sowing' line stats with an eircom engineer must be an very unusual experience:)

What exchange are you on? knowing that might allow other people to let us know if there are problems on that exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Modem syncing, i dont know what that is.
    Edenderry exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Log into your modem by typing this address into Internet Explorer - http://192.168.1.254 (assuming it's an eircom box).

Your sync speed will be displayed on the first page.
    It should be
    Downstream 3072
    Upstream 384

Thats what it shows alright.

• Advertisement

And what are you line stats?

Have you a wireless set up or are you using an ethernet connection. Do all of your additional phones have filters fitted?

Mutliping.jpg

Primary DNS Server
    dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net

Secondary DNS Server
    dns2.cra.dublin.eircom.net

Speed
    3072/384 (kbps)

Line Attenuation
    44/27 dB

Whats the snr figure? the line attenuation is slightly highish but should be ok.

You still havent told us the background to the problem? ARe you speeds always low? Or is it only at certain times of the day? did the engineer say he proposed to do anything? Have you filters on your phones - are you running a wireless set up or ethernet (how many times etc etc ????:rolleyes:)

snr figure??

Broadband has been liek this since last year. Low during the day, like you can see, 1am-9am is better, 2.5meg dl, and 280 up, ping to galway is about 17. Engineer said he would look at the line on Monday, 2 days ago. Rnag Eircom last night, and said it was all fixed. he said that i should see it slow during the day with conjestion.

Filters are there.
    Wireless setup.

• Advertisement

snr figure??

Broadband has been liek this since last year. Low during the day, like you can see, 1am-9am is better, 2.5meg dl, and 280 up, ping to galway is about 17. Engineer said he would look at the line on Monday, 2 days ago. Rnag Eircom last night, and said it was all fixed. he said that i should see it slow during the day with conjestion.

Filters are there.
    Wireless setup.

what sort of speeds do you get when you connect the computer by cable to the modem?

Dont have a cable to do that, its too far. Anyway, shouldnt make a difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

snr figure??

Filters are there.
    Wireless setup.
    Signal to noise Ratio, Go into Advanced>Statistics>DSL in router gateway pages, Its in there... The higher the better...

Nick

Saying that it shouldn't make a difference is absolute nonsense - wireless can make a big difference - it is not a neutral technology. The fact that your pc is far from your router could make a significant difference. Could one of your neighbours have a wireless network on the same channel that you are using?

But its is only during peak times that it goes bad, and there is no cable running from pc to modem.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

What signal strength are u getting from your router.

Double click on the connection (near the clock) should show 5 bars how many are showing green.

if its low that could be the problem can be interfered with by cordless phones, av senders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you have to logically remove variables one at a time to get to the root source of the problem. Right now, imo, there's a big "?" over your wireless network. First thing i'd do is disable wireless and connect directly into your modem and run speedtest. Regardless of how far away it is this is your next step... or you can suffer several more call outs from eircoms technicians... you choice tbh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But its is only during peak times that it goes bad.
    Exactly, and peak time for you is also peak time for everyone else, including your neighbours. If there is any kind of wireless interference going on it would logically follow that it would mainly appear during "peak times" then.

Eircom, as far as I can see preconfigure every single one of their wireless routers to channel 7 for some reason. I don't personally have an Eircom wireless router, but when I scan for networks around here all the Eircom routers in the neighbourhood are on that channel. In Europe the only non-overlapping channels (in order to minimize interfere with each other) are 1, 5, 9 and 13 (1, 6 and 11 in the US).

You could try setting it to a channel as far away from 7 as possible, say 1 or 13 and see if that improves things at all. Information on how to do that will be in the manual.

But surely everyone else is having the same problem? Surely on a 3 meg line, i should get a minimum of 2meg.

i'm not even worried about downloading so much, watching youtube videos is non-existant too, since i have to pause it for 2 minutes, just so a 3minute song can buffer 50%.

Why are people who are not with Eircom, not have this problem, and they are using eircom loops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Borrow a network cable from a friend if you do not want to buy one and move your PC for the purposes of testing.

The next step is to rule out wireless interference as the modem stats suggest that the line is fine.

There is no point exhausting other avenues untill this one is proven out.

Wireless interference can come from a wide variety of places, other wireless networks, microwaves, neon lights, radio digi-sender boxes (wireless Scart for your tv), bluetooth devices etc...

i have used a cable, and there is hardly any difference. it's only during the day that the connections is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

snaga wrote:
    . . . Wireless interference can come from a wide variety of places, other wireless networks, microwaves, neon lights, radio digi-sender boxes (wireless Scart for your tv), bluetooth devices etc...

. . . like . . .
    . . . he asked me what the little black box connected to the phone socket was, duh, its for the cordless phone.

ZEN

i have used a cable, and there is hardly any difference. it's only during the day that the connections is crap.

How recently have you used the ethernet connection?

Do you know how much a 30foot ethernet cable costs?

People keep commenting on connecting cables. If if was the cable or lack thereof, why would the connection be fine during the night, and not during the day?

Also, what would comreg be able to do about my problem, which has been happening since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

People keep commenting on connecting cables. If if was the cable or lack thereof, why would the connection be fine during the night, and not during the day?

Also, what would comreg be able to do about my problem, which has been happening since last year.

Dude people here are trying to help you, choose to ignore that advice and its upto you, and a little less attitude would do you a world of good, right now your spending more time arguing with people then actually getting to the root of your problem

So

1) So getting the router connected via the cable, is to eliminate any wireless signal problems you maybe having, wireless make a big difference to how your speeds are going up and down, believe me working for an isp its the first thing we do to eliminate any electro magnetic interference in your premises irregardless of whether it happens in the day time nighttime or anytime, and people are right, all eircom routers are set to channel 7, so if you have other eircom users in your area pre configured ot channel 7 then your going to have a problem

2) If you dont want to physically move your equipment around for testing then thats your problem, but whats to stop you getting a loan of a laptop and plugging the router into the master socket with that for testing, takes 5 mins and will eliminate a lot out of the equation

3) Also if you have any other telephone sockets in the house that are in use then unplug them as internal wiring is the biggest problem with slow speeds on Broadband

Unfortunately these things need to be done, you may see no point in doing them but until you get past that then basically youll be stuck TBH

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

People are offering their opinions in order to help...

The suggestions for using cables etc are to narrow down the problem.. and confirm what is causing the issue... they are trying to help...

If you dont want help then dont post...

Whether you realise it or not you dont need a 30foot cable... if you cant take Mohammed to the... Oh nevermind it would be wasted...

BRING COMPUTER TO SOCKET POINT...

1. Confirm its not interference by CONNECTING WITH CABLE (this MAY involve some actual effort on your part)
    2. Wireless Phones/neighbours phones or networks may be interfering - The comment left about changing channel is a good way to go also...
    3. Once you've comfirmed 1...
    Either it IS a wireless issue - in which case buy a 30foot cable to stop you whinging
    OR
    It ISNT a wireless issue - It is an issue with Eircom and too many people/business' on your exchange at the one time... In which case there isnt anything you can really do unless you fancy changing provider...

When people are trying to help you try reciprocating - Take on board the advice - put it into use - then come back with the results of doing said advice...

IMO if it isnt caused by the wireless then there aint much you can do really...

This thread should be locked immediately. This person is wasting people's time.

People have taken the time to offer excellent advice and its been time wasted.

Most likely nothing and in this case it would be hard not to sympathise with them as you don't deserve help.

If you don't attempt to diagnose a problem then you cannot cure it!

Okay, I may have come off bad, and for that I appologise. My only arguement about the use of cables is, is that is works perfect at night time, with no issues, only during the day there is a problem.

If there was a genuine fault regarding the use of a wireless system as apposed to a cabling issue, my problem would be a 24 hour thing, not a daylight hours thing.

It would be great if it was just a cabling issue, and then i would invest in a decent router for gaming dedication. But i can't see myself having cables flowing through the house.

Some info from last night testing....

Tracert : home.eircom.net

1st hop 1ms
    2nd hop didn't show any speed just *, maybe a bad connection to the exchange

Also, I changed the channel from default 7 to 1 and 13, little difference noticed, just the usually pings spikes.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    This thread should be locked immediately. This person is wasting people's time.

People have taken the time to offer excellent advice and its been time wasted.

Most likely nothing and in this case it would be hard not to sympathise with them as you don't deserve help.

If you don't attempt to diagnose a problem then you cannot cure it!

I'm sorry you feel this way, and it's my fault that you do feel this way. But i have tried what people have suggested, I'm not arguing at people, just the same suggestion has come up numerous times, and it's something i have tried.

Advertisement