Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3 meg - and they say its sorted :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I will connect my pc directly to the modem tonight, and post my results.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Okay, I may have come off bad, and for that I appologise. My only arguement about the use of cables is, is that is works perfect at night time, with no issues, only during the day there is a problem.

If there was a genuine fault regarding the use of a wireless system as apposed to a cabling issue, my problem would be a 24 hour thing, not a daylight hours thing.

It would be great if it was just a cabling issue, and then i would invest in a decent router for gaming dedication. But i can't see myself having cables flowing through the house.

Some info from last night testing....

Tracert : home.eircom.net

1st hop 1ms
    2nd hop didn't show any speed just *, maybe a bad connection to the exchange

Also, I changed the channel from default 7 to 1 and 13, little difference noticed, just the usually pings spikes.

Firstly thanks for showing the appreciation to the posters... I can understand it does get infuriating at times when people recommend the simple things... but with computers its always a case of eliminate the simple things first...

Because if you dont it invariably turns out to be something simple causing your problem... Its Murphy's law after all!

Changing channel is a good idea anyway... so leave it there..
    The reason we are suggesting connecting straight... is because although you have good reception at night - maybe the interference is only happening during the day?... :confused:

This may be because of usage of equipment during daytimes only...

See where we coming from?...

Once you eliminate that ... feel free to rant about eircom haha... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Another idea...

30 meters of phone cable is cheaper than 30 meters of network cable. Just a thought. Although that might bring in other issues.

If you bring the computer closer to the router and cable it up AND the problem goes away, it would almost definitely point to a wireless problem.

At that stage, you still don't need to get a huge length of network cable. You could buy a wireless repeater and place it half way between computer and router. This should increase your wifi signal considerably. Cross that bridge when or if you come to it.

By the way, what signal strength is your wifi card in your computer saying it's getting?

WiFi card is built into an Asus motherboard.

Signal connection runs at 90%
    Signal strenght runs at 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

30 feet (he said feet not metres) of phone cable will not be able to hold a signal as well as decent Cat. 6 ethernet cable - it could increase line attenuation even more. Cat. 6 is good for 100 metres (if straight enough).
    "Engineer" came down last week to "look" at my setup, ha ha ha, he asked me what the little black box connected to the phone socket was, duh, its for the cordless phone.

i sowed him my connection stats on the pc, and he hadn't a clue what he was looking at. What dont Eircom send out somone who knows what there doing?

These engineers only for dealing with the phone line outside your house and your main phone socket. Everything beyond the main phone socket is your responsibility. They don't need to know about ADSL connection stats and whatever - that is beyond the scope of their work.
    My only arguement about the use of cables is, is that is works perfect at night time, with no issues, only during the day there is a problem.
    People are more likely to be using laptops or other 2.4GHz band stuff in the day time. A wireless LAN with no traffic is not going to cause much interference, obviously.
    ZENER wrote:
    Quote:Originally Posted by snaga
    . . . Wireless interference can come from a wide variety of places, other wireless networks, microwaves, neon lights, radio digi-sender boxes (wireless Scart for your tv), bluetooth devices etc...

. . . like . . .
    Quote:Originally Posted by neuromancer
    . . . he asked me what the little black box connected to the phone socket was, duh, its for the cordless phone.

ZEN

I have seen this suggested many times, but I have yet to find any evidence that there are any cordless phones that operate on the 2.4GHz band which are sold outside the US. Standard European DECT digital cordless phones (which have been sold in Europe for ages) operate on the 1880-1900 MHz band.

• Advertisement

results after connecting the LAN cable...first test LANcableconnected.jpg

Also is the th results from speedtest.net

4/4/2008 10:15 PM GMT 260 kb/s 85 kb/s 517 ms Dublin ~ 100 mi

4/4/2008 10:21 PM GMT 192 kb/s 85 kb/s 212 ms Galway ~ 50 mi

4/4/2008 10:27 PM GMT 595 kb/s 72 kb/s 210 ms Galway ~ 50 mi

4/4/2008 10:29 PM GMT 312 kb/s 64 kb/s 211 ms Galway ~ 50 mi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think you are going to have to run speedtest.net regularly for a week or so to build up a history of whats happening, then hit your ISP with theevidence (you can output your history as a CSV file). It would be no harm to take a screengrab of your modem stats as you do the speedtest, to see if a pattern builds up.

If you can borrow a different PC for a while and test using it as well, it would probably be no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

I would not rule out the cordless phone as being the source of your problem. Whether they're legal or not, there are 2.4GHz cordless phones available for sale in Ireland. Try disconnecting it & run your speed test again.

Also, do you have a video sender in your house? I have personal experience of these causing interference with Wi-Fi. In my case, the problem was resolved by changing the channel on the video sender & receiver. Most video senders have 4 channels to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

1) Listen to advice being offered (and accept explanations being offered when you question it)
    2) Unplug ALL wireless (baby monitors, video/audio repeaters, DECT/cordless phones). Literally unplug them/cut power off.
    3) Pick up you PC and bring it down to the modem if you don't want to shell out for cable.
    4) Unplug all phones/faxes/modems from your phone line and disconnect the alarm if it's been connected (and you can)
    5) If that still doesn't improve the situation, check with your neighbours. It is possible you are suffering from eircom's contention. You're speed downloads are within the contended service offering (24:1 or 48:1), so eircom are fulfilling their service.. but if you complain enough and get neighbours on board they'll probably increase/tweak backhaul to help you out (though that may take time).

Advertisement