Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd,Pool,Arse, Chel. CL expectations poll

• 05-03-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

lol new poll option.

Man utd
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool/inter

Barcelona
    Fenerbache
    As Roma
    Schalke

kdjac

Do you expect/feel 51% towards getting to the CL final? regardless of the draw. 81 votes

Man utd fan yes
    0% 0 votes
    Pool fan yes
    39% 32 votes
    Arsenal fan yes
    34% 28 votes
    Chelsea fan yes
    14% 12 votes
    Bitter EL fan who secretly loves the PL.
    4% 4 votes
    No, please post why!
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

best manager for the CL in Rafa Benitez, who now has a world class striker.

see ye in moscow ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Man United
    Liverpool in all likelihood

Schalke
    Fenerbahce
    Barcelona
    Roma

Only Barca look like being able to stop it being an English winner really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Only Barca look like being able to stop it being an English winner really.

this is true but i still think unlikely, i definatley see the CL coming to england, after arsenals last game their momentum will be incredibly strong! i predict an all english final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpools only worry is drawing Man Utd. Still having never played them over two legs it could be quite easy in fact ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm worried about qualifying. I really would like an easy draw.
    I'd be very worried about going out if we got any of the other English teams or Barca. Any of the top 4 could beat each other, and anyone who writes off Barca is just being silly.
    The other 3 are walkovers for all the top 5, bar maybe Roma, although I still think they are easy to beat in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think Barca will win it. Maybe United though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHB wrote: »
    I'm worried about qualifying. I really would like an easy draw.
    I'd be very worried about going out if we got any of the other English teams or Barca. Any of the top 4 could beat each other, and anyone who writes off Barca is just being silly.

Have to agree, would not like to draw,Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool yet. Schalke would be nice, bet we get Man Utd though.

I really hope we get Roma, Scalke or Fenerbache, preferably the latter. Suspect though the way the draws are going we'll get one of the top 5. I think if I had to pick a team, it'd be Liverpool, but I'd rather not :)

Still, we all know these days are rigged :rolleyes:, since they are drawing the semi finals aswell, what are the chances of,
    All the english clubs drawing each other, then the winners of those matches drawing each other in the semis, Barca the easy half, making it an English vs. Spain final.

I honestly think if that happens, I'll start to think draws are rigged.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What are the odds of that happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

What I'd give for a Fenerbache/Schalke draw as a United fan! I'd love to get Liverpool or Barca in the final. I don't really even want to think about how exciting the former would be to be honest. Friendships would be ended!

• Advertisement

Rafa would **** Ferguson up over two legs in Europe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

can't imagine chelsea not drawing utd,arse or pool, and would worry about our ability to progress in any of the above except the scousers, give me schalke or fenerbache please.

Although memories of Wayne Bridge at highbury keep sprining to mind for some reason.

going to be an interesting draw.

Personally I'd like schalke as i've never been to that part of the world before.

growler wrote: »
    would worry about our ability to progress in any of the above except the scousers

yea cause you've really given us a lesson in Europe over the last few years :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa would **** Ferguson up over two legs in Europe ;)

HAAHHAHAHHAHHAAHHAH seriously your posts get better by the day.

on that note jackdaw to post chelsea to get eliminated in group stage and grant is ****.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Despite being a Leeds fan, I voted for Man U. I just cant look beyond them in nearly any competiton, this included.

bookmark my post KdjaCL ;) we'll see.

Ferguson is clueless in Europe, most Utd fans even admit this. Rafa is a genius in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool fans are acting quite arrogant. They think they're already through. An early goal by Inter blows the tie wide open. Would be great to see.

I'd actually welcome it though if United drew Liverpool in the quarter-finals as Utd have beaten them away from home already this season. Anfield's becoming a second home to United. We'd just need to make sure O'Shea and Tevez start then we'd be guaranteed goals. :)

I'd feel more comfortable if United were drawn with an English team as I detect a lot of caution when they travel on the continent and I'm not sure such caution would be there if they went to an away ground in England.

I'd also welcome Fenerbahce and Schalke drawing one another as the winners would be the ones everyone would be after in the semi-finals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

What are the odds of that [English teams together in quarters and semis] happening?

I worked out about 1/100 (1/105 to be exact) but I'm not too confident! Voted Liverpool fan no because I'm only about 60% sure we'll even get past Inter. I'm confident in the team but wouldn't expect to get to the final. Think an English team will win it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Mushy wrote: »
    Despite being a Leeds fan, I voted for Man U. I just cant look beyond them in nearly any competiton, this included.

Do you actually have any idea how bad Man Utd's european cup record is?? They have won it twice....Just like notts forest

bookmark my post KdjaCL ;) we'll see.

Ferguson is clueless in Europe, most Utd fans even admit this. Rafa is a genius in Europe.

but man utd are better then you, and would beat you easily over 90 minutes twice, your the handiest draw they could ask for, CL football doesnt come into PL games unless is pool vs Chel.

I have my Torres will be a ****ing legend at liverpool post bookmarked, and your dunno an EL fan saying stuff means nothing one too ;)

kdjac

• Advertisement

What are the odds of that happening?

Em, probability ain't the best, but :)

1/20 chance of the quarter finals being that way
    1/3 chance then of the semis going that way

So 1/60, maybe, it's been a while :P

---

As for United vs. Liverpool. Sure Liverpool could win, but I'm not worried about Ferguson vs. English teams in Europe. Why? Problem is we don't like the way Eurpopean teams play. The English teams play the English way, so that's fine. We might lose to Liverpool because they perform, I doubt we'd lose because of Fergies hesitance in Europe. Barca on the other hand maybe.
    I'm very happy the Italian teams are all but out though.

Oh, and on that note, anyone who thinks Inter are defo out should be shot. They still have a great chance. Inter beating Liverpool 2-0 tomorrow isn't all that unlikely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Why on earth do people write liverpool off in europe giving the last few seasons??

People wrote them off for the first leg against Inter and they won. Each of the games against Chelsea in Europe we were wrote off, Barca were suppose to thrash us and all!!

KdjaCL wrote: »
    but man utd are better then you, and would beat you easily over 90 minutes twice

But werent Juventus,Chelsea,Barcelona,Chelsea,Inter all better than us too?

PL means nothing when it comes to Europe.

When did i say EL fans dont have a clue?:) twas only a joke obviously!

Rafa, is that you? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

just on SSN that messi is out for 6 weeks at least.... big loss for barca's CL and domestic hopes

Oh, and on that note, anyone who thinks Inter are defo out should be shot. They still have a great chance. Inter beating Liverpool 2-0 tomorrow isn't all that unlikely.

I would go so far as to say Inter have no chance of beating Liverpool 2-0 tomorrow.

Next week is a different matter, and i am still a little nervous! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'm very happy the Italian teams are all but out though.

They aren't. Roma beat Real Madrid tonight so they're through. Look forward to at least one very stifling 1/4 final.

Quite true. Pool fans seem to be booking their tickets to Moscow already but if Inter go 1 up it's game on again. On the other hand a goal for Liverpool kills the tie dead so they should not approach this too negatively.

Sorry, meant out :) Roma aren't a threat in my eyes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Come of fit lads. I think there are three big teams in the final, three strong teams and two fodder.

I see it tiered as:
    Arsenal, United, Barca,
    Liverpool, Chelsea, Roma
    Fenerbache, Schalke

I think the best Chelsea and Liverpool can hope for to get to the final is for two of the first tier to draw against each other and two from their tier to get the two bottom ranked teams.

That will eliminate at least one of the big three.

If those top three clubs avoid each other, the winner will come from there.

I personally would love to see a Barca V. Arsenal Final. :)

If Barca lost with Henry playing.......

• Advertisement

But werent Juventus,Chelsea,Barcelona,Chelsea,Inter all better than us too?

Do you need a geography lesson? Do you honestly think that if you get arse or man utd that its a CL tie? or a how many goals can we score liverpool over 180 mins game?

I agree tho if you get chelsea its a CL game.

kdjac

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Quite true. Pool fans seem to be booking their tickets to Moscow already but if Inter go 1 up it's game on again. On the other hand a goal for Liverpool kills the tie dead so they should not approach this too negatively.

Agreed. If you can lose to Barnsley at home then you can certainly lose to Inter Milan in Italy.

Again no respect to Liverpool despite two finals in the last three years while beating the best teams in Europe consistantly.

Sorry, meant out :) Roma aren't a threat in my eyes :P

Roma looked excellent tonight, constantly gave Madrid trouble... but that could be more down to madrids performance though ;)

Liverpool v United
    Arsenal v Chelsea
    Roma v Barcelona
    Feners v Schalke

probably be the worst draw possible imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Again no respect to Liverpool despite two finals in the last three years while beating the best teams in Europe consistantly.

and no respect to Man Utd who have whooped your asses since Benitez arrived?

united worse draw imo is Roma

kdjac

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »

i know as a bitter EL fan i shouldnt but i did chuckle at that :D

kdjac

Em, probability ain't the best, but :)

1/20 chance of the quarter finals being that way
    1/3 chance then of the semis going that way

So 1/60, maybe, it's been a while :P

---

I see the 1/3 for the semis, but how did you get 1/20 for quarters?:confused:

edit: I tried it again and got 1/210 ... no wonder I lose in the bookies, that and being a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Where's the 'I love the PL but couldn't give a sh*te who wins the CL as long as it's not an English team' option?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Where's the 'I love the PL but couldn't give a sh*te who wins the CL as long as it's not an English team' option?

on boards.au

kdjac

yea you were sayin that in one of the other threads... you mind me askin why?

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »

Ferguson deserves all the respect in the world when it comes to the PL, and i afford him that.

But when it comes to the cups and the CL, Rafa is deserved of the same.

Utd fans even slate Ferguson for not quite cutting the mustard when it comes to European competition.

on boards.au

good answer

Ferguson deserves all the respect in the world when it comes to the PL, and i afford him that.

Utd fans even slate Ferguson for not quite cutting the mustard when it comes to European competition.

yes but vs a PL team you would have to fancy Utd, its not a dig its like a bettig thing.

Utd vs any PL side and i would bet on them and if it was in the CL it means the players dont need to hand in passports and thats about it.

unless its pool vs chelsea * i sticking that in twice cos i reckon that who you will get.

kdjac

oobydooby wrote: »
    I see the 1/3 for the semis, but how did you get 1/20 for quarters?:confused:

edit: I tried it again and got 1/210 ... no wonder I lose in the bookies, that and being a Liverpool fan.

Well, I'm not quite sure, I did it in my head :P

1/20 seems about right though :P

As has been pointed out to me just yesterday, Fergie is great in the English cups, **** in Europe. Liverpool and London aren't in Europe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

best manager for the CL in Rafa Benitez, who now has a world class striker.

see ye in moscow ;)

wont matter a jot if they come up against arsenal or united tho imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I doubt the 2 playing each other in a CL match would be any different than the premiership. Why would Ferguson change his tactics and attitude that is a proven winner against Liverpool, or why would Benitez suddenly know how to beat Man Utd just because it's called the champions league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

on boards.au

kdjac
    good answer

Was it?
    yea you were sayin that in one of the other threads... you mind me askin why?

Because it's bad enough that every thread involving United and Pool gets into a childish slanging match without one winding up the other about winning the CL. Arsenal and Chelsea, though I hate Chelsea and their players, aren't so bad but even still.

If one has to win it then I'd say Arsenal cause I love Wenger but for me it's Barca FTW.

Was it?

Because it's bad enough that every thread involving United and Pool gets into a childish slanging match without one winding up the other about winning the CL. Arsenal and Chelsea, though I hate Chelsea and their players, aren't so bad but even still.

If one has to win it then I'd say Arsenal cause I love Wenger but for me it's Barca FTW.

Simply because you crave that City were involved in these threads, jesus bitterness between the top 4 is enough without pretenders stepping in with uber bitterness.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

With regard to Fergie versus Rafa in the CL the comparision is unfair. True Rafa has shown that he can get Liverpool going in the CL, but do Liverpool compete on as many fronts as United. Every year by the time the latter stages of the CL roll around, what has Rafa been in competition for-4th place? United have been in contention for the title and cups. This has happened almost every year since the mid 90s. United's squad is stretched far beyond what Liverpool's is, eg last years semis united were competing on 3 fronts and Liverpool 1. Undoubtably Rafa knows how to get the Euro tactics right but Fergie's 'underachievment' with United's 1 title is always put down to been bad in Europe.

Besides the Rafa's only got the 50% record in the final with Liverpool and Fergie 100%....:p

Well, I'm not quite sure, I did it in my head :P

1/20 seems about right though :P

Somebody doing their LC will sort it out for me. Be interesting to see what odds the bookies offer. There was a good post here about the betting before the last round of the CL with all the country constraints and winners, runners up taken into account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement