Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd,Pool,Arse, Chel. CL expectations poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Simply because you crave that City were involved in these threads, jesus bitterness between the top 4 is enough without pretenders stepping in with uber bitterness.

kdjac

Of course I wish City were involved, and within the next few years we may be, BUT you know as well as I do the bitchy undercurrent that comes across in every one of these threads. There was a sticky on it FFS!

A lot of fans are able to win/lose gracefully however there are plenty who can't so for them I hope the team wins nothing.

I never want United to win anything anyway from a local rivals perspective. Would you like it if Rovers won the eL? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Unearthly wrote: »
    I doubt the 2 playing each other in a CL match would be any different than the premiership. Why would Ferguson change his tactics and attitude that is a proven winner against Liverpool, or why would Benitez suddenly know how to beat Man Utd just because it's called the champions league?

Ok then even the only time we've met you in a cup since Rafa arrived. WE WON.

Ferguson changes his tactics all the time for Europe, i think it'd be the same playing us, although the main difference would be how much better we play in the CL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Shhhh Mr Alan. Your words are only going to come back and haunt you!

Would love to see a Man U vs Liverpool 1/4
    Also Chelsea vs Barca
    Arsenal vs Schalke would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

KdjaCL wrote: »
    united worse draw imo is Roma

kdjac
    how's that?

Barcelona is the worst by a mile. they and Chelsea are the only teams I 100% dont want yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mr Alan wrote: »

Ferguson changes his tactics all the time for Europe, i think it'd be the same playing us, although the main difference would be how much better we play in the CL

Right

Hope we get you in QF

If we do this thread is getting bookmarked ;)

Actually that's a lie, hope Inter smash ye up next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

its hard to be a liverpool fan when your a liverpool fan at the same time, can you wait a few years till i'm done?

i'm fairly unfit right now, i could be out of here in 10 or 15 years...

O/T i reckon theres no point in any of the 4 english teams fearing each other, games over 2 legs are a different kettle of fish to the prem.

i'd be more worried if pool got fenerbache or shalke 04, it would be typical of us to crash out to one of them.

first things first, getting past inter is only half done, still could go inters way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Would love to see Man United and Liverpool get each other. Arsenal-Schalke, Chelsea-Roma, and Barca-Fenerbache please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I dont really care who United get at this point, you have to sack up and play the best to win the competition, obviously Id rather fernerbache than barca but I wouldnt be overly worried by anyone.

I do hope we get Liverpool next though, would love to see all the "ah but you havent played us in europe stuff put to bed".

Anyone who thinks pool are anything but a massive underdog against Utd at the moment in any competition must be smoking crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

one guy put it best when he said its irrelevant who you draw, id rather go out in the Q/F then the semi's, more time to concentrate on the league and id rather go out in the quarters or semi's then the final, if we are going to win it it doesnt matter who we play or when we play them, we just have to beat them!!

of course id love to win the champions league, im not saying its not important, but its not important to me where we get knocked out if were gonna be knocked out.

i think we can go all the way this year with the teams that are left, but it will take some good performances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool fans: stop talking as if we are through! Inter have one of the best squads in Europe. If we can beat them 2-0 at home they can do the same to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan, why are you so sure that Benitez' record in Europe overwrites Fergies record against Benitez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

[moderator hat off] Look, Mr. Alan, honestly, as much as you love Liverpool, your mindless propaganda spouting isn't actually discussion.

Every post I see from you reads : [cartman]"Waaaaaaaah but Liverpool are greeeaaaat[/cartman] and doesn't actually constitute discussion in any credible or intelligent sense of the word.

The fact of the matter is, Liverpool are probably 5th favourites of the teams left. As good as they have been in the CL in recent years, the fact remains that they are a far inferior team to United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Barca. The records this season show that.

They *may* raise their game against United but although they've done it against Chelsea in recent CL years, they were very uninspiring and Mourhino's tactics helped them.

So yeah, supprot your team, talk up their chances, but for god sake talk at least a bit of sense and facilitate some discussion.

[moderator hat on]

Archimedes wrote: »
    Mr Alan, why are you so sure that Benitez' record in Europe overwrites Fergies record against Benitez?

With the exception of the OT game last season, i have seen nothing from Utd in their games against us to be afraid of in the last couple of seasons.

If i take my fan hat off for a minute, i will say Utd are a far superior team over the course of a season, no denying that.

Over two games in Europe though? they dont scare me anymore than Barca did last year when we beat em, or than Chelsea did in 2005, or than Juventus did in 2005.

they may well win and of course we would be the underdogs, but those who don't respect Rafa and his achievements in Europe and the way he gets us playing in Europe, do so at their own peril ;)
    [moderator hat off] Look, Mr. Alan, honestly, as much as you love Liverpool, your mindless propaganda spouting isn't actually discussion.

Every post I see from you reads : [cartman]"Waaaaaaaah but Liverpool are greeeaaaat[/cartman] and doesn't actually constitute discussion in any credible or intelligent sense of the word.

The fact of the matter is, Liverpool are probably 5th favourites of the teams left. As good as they have been in the CL in recent years, the fact remains that they are a far inferior team to United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Barca. The records this season show that.

They *may* raise their game against United but although they've done it against Chelsea in recent CL years, they were very uninspiring and Mourhino's tactics helped them.

So yeah, supprot your team, talk up their chances, but for god sake talk at least a bit of sense and facilitate some discussion.

[moderator hat on]

PSI-keep that mod hat on! read my points above

And Tusky, I agree, Inter aint nearly out of it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!
    INTER MILAN!

i think i've made my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

As said before, Man U v Liverpool. At any stage (I was half wanting them to win the other night just to see the grudge match)

Man U take lead from a Ronaldo dive/penalty.

93rd minute equaliser by Torres.

Man U comprehensively beaten on penos, with 3 saves from Reina. :)

Either that or a horrendous 4-0 thrashing in Old Trafford (Ive been hitting the LSD heavy).

• Advertisement

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Do you actually have any idea how bad Man Utd's european cup record is?? They have won it twice....Just like notts forest

Yes, a truly terrible record :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Two english teams playing in Europe is still not the same as and Premier League game as it will be a European ref so they cant go hell for leather like they do in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tusky wrote: »
    Liverpool fans: stop talking as if we are through! Inter have one of the best squads in Europe. If we can beat them 2-0 at home they can do the same to us.

That is true but Inter are also with out their 2 best defenders and teams from Italy dont like chasing games.

I can see it going Liverpool sitting back letting Inter attack then play long balls up to the forward.

I would go with Crouch as Inters two center backs are small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Hold on a second - "far inferior", if that is your opinion it is way off. Much as many may think that Liverpool are languishing at the level of Derby, this is not the case. (Yes, Derby are far inferior). Liverpool are in the league 5 points behind Chelsea. That is not 'far inferior'. The gap to Arsenal and Man Utd is also not 'far inferior'. Liverpool are on the cusp of being in the last-8 of the CL. That is not 'far inferior'.

Chelsea will readily admit, staff and players alike, that Liverpool beat them fair and square and deservingly in their recent CL match-ups.

And by the way, I dont think Mr Alan is mindless ....

Perhaps you'd be better keeping your moderator hat on .... or take your own advice - proper discussion.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As a UTD fan ,
    I have an unexplainable fear of drawing Chelsea,

As for drawing Barca/Roma ( If we really have too ) would be Hard but OK once the second leg is a home.

Inter if they make it would be a very hard tie and again I would be hoping for second leg at home

Arsenal would be the hardest draw IMO
    Fenerbache would be easier but I think any team would like to avoid that away leg if they can.

Schalke or Liverpool would be my Ideal draw One because its the weakest team remanding in the comp and the other because (par one outstanding striker ) we would not have much to fear and more important to finally put them in their place and shut up one or two people once and for all
    Yes ye may have done this and that in Europe for the last four years BUT YE NEVER HAD TO PLAY UTD

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    BUT YE NEVER HAD TO PLAY UTD[/I]

thats cause ye keep getting knocked out all the time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Chelsea to win it imo

Shut up with the Pool are better in Europe United better in PL. What a load of cock. This season Liverpool failed to win their first 3 games, while United got 16 (i think) points from their group. bla bla their group was easier, thats debatable.

PL means nothing? Dont be silly. When/If Liverpool win the league every United (and Arsenal,Chelsea,Spurs,Halifax) fan will hear about it. It will be up there with 2005 as the greatest year.

Feckin stupid arguments...I've read some bull in this thread so far. So bad it smells.

is it a case of I wanna say stupid things, postcount ++ or I like to get up peoples nostrils??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yes ye may have done this and that in Europe for the last four years BUT YE NEVER HAD TO PLAY UTD

Cos clearly Utd are the benchmark team in Europe :rolleyes:

this thread is becoming more annoying to sift through each time i read

in a cup game anyone can beat anyone, simple as....its also why i feel its irrelevant who we draw, you have to rise to the occasion and beat whats put in front of you

Liverpool have as much chance as Barca or Fenerbache at knocking United out if we are drawn together, Im expecting to get Arsenal however

I will be confident no matter who we draw, when we play with a good tempo and with confidence we can beat anyone

but for people trying to say it would make a difference as its europe and not the prem i will say this, WTF are you smoking????

it will be different cuz its a cup comp, but thats it, united wont change a proven way of beating teams cuz its the champs league, they wont over compensate for the other teams abilitys by hampering our own attacking threat, if the way to beat Liverpool is 2 strikers up top then thats what will happen, as has happened in the league

the need for an anchorman was obviously felt needed against Lyon, now i think it was giving them too much respect but i understand the decision also when there were guys like Junninho, Ben Arfa and Benzema on the pitch who you dont exactly want to have too much time and space, which united accomplished. their attacking threats were taking out of the game by the formation and tactic united used, im not so sure it was necessary but we got through so i accept it

the need for an anchorman wouldnt be necessary v liverpool imo, as it hasnt been needed before, they simply dont have the players to really hit a team on the break fast so we can attack more freely

kryogen wrote: »
    united wont change a proven way of beating teams cuz its the champs league

Have you watched Utd in Europe under Ferguson just out of curiousity?!:eek:

The more I read threads like this one the more I am starting to think that the idea of a Liverpool forum wasnt such a bad idea.

Yea, Liverpool fans are smug, check out the poll results :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

will you just STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The more I read threads like this one the more I am starting to think that the idea of a Liverpool forum wasnt such a bad idea.

I agree. Can we cut out the bickering? Ah whats the point! Custard

Have you watched Utd in Europe under Ferguson just out of curiousity?!:eek:

ugh, he who needs everything explained bit by bit, ok what i meant by that one ****ing line exactly was, Alex Ferguson knows how to play and beat Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal, he plays different systems against each and sometimes they work sometimes they dont.... against liverpool for the past 3 years we have been very successful. basically Benitez is Fergusons bitch, and why would any sane person (this leaves you out Alan) think Ferguson would change his tactics because of the competition(UEFA Champions League) when its a proven way of beating them?

Ok then Kryogen, why does Ferguson change around Utds winning formula every time Utd play in Europe so?

• Advertisement

Yea, Liverpool fans are smug, check out the poll results :)

I dont take any notice of polls, I just read the posts ;)

The more i come on here the more i think it'd be better if the 2 sets of fans were kept in entirely different forums, I mean NOTHIN can be discussed ehre without someone havin a go, and then 20 people havin handbags with their "we" are better than "you" bull, its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ok then Kryogen, why does Ferguson change around Utds winning formula every time Utd play in Europe so?
    Easy, can I answer?

Because these are Continental teams.

Ferguson knows how to beat Benitez, that much is clear.

Why would Ferguson change the winning formula that he has used to beat Benitez.

The competition doesn't matter.

Anyway, they haven't even drawn each other.:rolleyes:

Cos he's lost the bottle to play like that after gettin a hidin off Madrid a few years back and clearly feels "light" or "exposed" in the middle.

Bar Milan last year, when he went out to attack them at the San Siro, United havent taken a hiding off anyone in Europe since that game. They have been uninspriing, lost stupid games and looked downright rubbish in a lot of games, but they havent been slaughtered by anyone. So he's got it about 50% right. But for me the loss of the other 50% i.e the attacking threat, isnt worth losing.

i explained this already..im not repeating everything i say or explaining every little detail just for you, read my posts again and you'll understand eventually i hope

he changes tactics for the same reason every manager does, he feels he has to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Listen Al, face it. Liverpool are pants when they came up against Utd. Fergie has the complete upper hand in the clashes. Last 12 games between the teams= Man Utd 9 Liverpool 2 Draw 1. Liverpool have scored just 4 goals in those 12 matches. Still confident?

DesF wrote: »

Wrong Desmond, its because Ferguson thinks that in order to win the CL, you need to play with 1 up top, he has proven this by defying all his critics and doing it all the time Europe. I'd be willing to bet he'll do the same against us if we beat Inter and draw Utd.

Note: i am not ACTUALLY willing to bet, i already have lost enough bets this season :)

DesF wrote: »
    Easy, can I answer?

Ferguson knows how to beat Benitez, that much is clear.

Why would Ferguson change the winning formula that he has used to beat Benitez.

The competition doesn't matter.

Anyway, they haven't even drawn each other.:rolleyes:

now thats exactly what i said to him twice already just using different words, hope your tactic succeed against him!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kryogen wrote: »
    now thats exactly what i said to him twice already just using different words, hope your tactic succeed against him!!!!
    It didn't :rolleyes:

LOL

cup comps are different pighead. most people agree with that. since rafa arrived, we have met Utd once in a cup competition. and we won.

• Advertisement

Wrong Desmond, its because Ferguson thinks that in order to win the CL, you need to play with 1 up top, he has proven this by defying all his critics and doing it all the time Europe. I'd be willing to bet he'll do the same against us if we beat Inter and draw Utd.

Note: i am not ACTUALLY willing to bet, i already have lost enough bets this season :)

you are actually becoming pathetic, ok so, a manger who has been in a job pretty successfully for 20 years doesnt know how to adapt or change? really, listen to yourself sometimes

he thinks an anchorman in midfield is required for some teams, he doesnt feel that way about Liverpool, that is quite obvius at this stage so why would anyone think he will use one! cept you, who lives in his own world of course:)

Actually United havent played an English team in the CL yet so it remains to be seen what tactics Fergie would use. But even in the bigger games domestically he tends to lean towards 4-5-1

LOL

cup comps are different pighead. most people agree with that. since rafa arrived, we have met Utd once in a cup competition. and we won.

1st time Pool had beaten United in a cup competition in 93 years I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And round and round we go.

Look Liverpool have gone into many a Champions League tie as underdogs and won so no reason why they couldn't do it again. However, United are clearly the better side overall. Simple as that. People are arguing just for the sake of it at this stage.

Sure all this only matters IF they draw each other!

spot on Xavi, i'll bow out of this thread for a while.

spot on Xavi, i'll bow out of this thread for a while.

Sh1t stirred...job done!! ;):D:D:p

Now go do some work and work on your idle time! At this rate you'll be worse than I was!! :D

• Advertisement

yea how dare i pretend Liverpool have been a force in Europe in recent times, god wat was i thinkin! ;)

no one could be worse than you were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

1st time Pool had beaten United in a cup competition in 93 years I believe.
    And Utd played with Wes Brown in the centre of defence that day. No Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pighead wrote: »
    And Utd played with Wes Brown in the centre of defence that day. No Rio.

i'm sorry but that game wasn't won or lost by Rio's absence. It was Sissoko's utter dominance in midfield.

I actually think we've been very unlucky against United, especially at home. This years game could have gone either way, but the previous two years we've outplayed United at Anfield only for Rio/O'Shea to spoil the party.

I hope we avoid Arsenal or United. Any other team and i'm confident we'll get through. I think we'll beat Inter, and i think we'll have a go at them and try and get a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I still think Fergie will change his tactics if he meets Liverpool in the CL. Not because it's Europe, but because its two legs. Still he won't change them as much. Liverpool as a team Fergie knows how to beat.
    They beat us once in what happened to be a cup competition. We beat them the previous month. Why? Because those games were close. To actually suggest that there was a magical factor that Benetiz is better in cups is just retarded. Now the 2 legged thing will make a difference, no doubt about that, but it wouldn't be as much as against a European team, so if you gave me the choice of Liverpool or Barca, I'd pick Liverpool.

Thing about it is, its a cup competition, so I firmly believe any of the top 5 could win it. That said, I'd still prefer to play the weaker team. Liverpool are an inferior side to the other top 4.
    [From this point on, if you're a committed Liverpool fan, I'd recommend you don't read]

Good goalkeeper
    Young CB who is prone to defensive errors because he is still learning [See Drogba]
    Average fullbacks [used to be a great one, but Finnan seems to be gone now :/]
    Top class central midfield
    Crap wingers
    Top class striker

However, because you won't be able to spread the play due to your crap wingers, Hargreaves should be able to deal with Gerrard and Torres is up against the one defender in the league who beats him for pace.

The thing about Liverpool is, Fergies away tactics actually work against you. We won a tactical victory over you in the last game, restricted you to nutty long shots, let you have lots of possession, as the home team in Europe always does, then executed a class smash and grab against you.
    Crazy thing is, exact same thing happened last year. I think Fergies got Rafa's tactical number :)
    Obviously you are gona point out to the year before, where in Anfield you got a 0-0 draw against us and a 1-0 in the cup, what I'd say to that is that Richardson and Smith played in the first match, Richardson and Brown(instead of Ferdinand) played in the second.

Ultimately though, Fergie has Rafa's tactical number. Liverpool 'dominated' the games for the last two years at Anfield, but had little to no decent chances on goal. I hate Fergie's away tactics, the smash and grab ****s up so many times it's unreal, but for some reason, it works against you guys :) As for us at home, we beat you 2-0 at a canter last year, and I don't think much will change this year.

[You can read again]

Now I'm not saying Liverpool don't have a great shot at beating anyone, including United, but because of these reasons, I'd prefer to get Liverpool than Arsenal, Chelsea, Barca. But obviously I'd prefer to get the other 3 more than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

my head hurts

• Advertisement
Advertisement