Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Proof of C02 emmissions for new VRT charges

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi, I recently bought a 05 volvo s40 2.0d se sport in the uk, I am going to park it in the garage till july as I think it will save me a lot of cash, the info I'm looking for though is where do i get a cert to prove the C02 emmissions of this car, the UK registration certificate i got with the car does state what the C02 level (152 G/KM) is but I'm not sure whether this will be acceptable or not when i go to register car in July. Can anyone help please :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wondered about this myself-the V5C gave one figure and this website gave another for my GT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Hey, you could try checking this out. It's a database of the emissions cars from c2001 onwards have.

http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=1207&docID=-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 waffler

I think that the VRO will require a C02 certificate and will not accept downloaded info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nuttzyy

Congrats on the new purchase!
    Mind me asking you if you saved much over the Irish going rate, or was it more a better spec you got.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You need a certificate of conformity AFAIK. Ask Volvo UK for it. Remember only VRT is going down and road tax will be the same as any other car of the same age that's already here.

• Advertisement

Thanks E92, was this confirmed at todays annnouncement, or is it tomorrow, on the whole vrt issue, i was hoping road tax would change, maybe not.

Nuttzy, it cost me 14,000 euro to purchase, its fully loaded elec heated seats, 18" alloys leater, multi cd, cruise, full sports kit etc etc, cost me 6,500 euro if i register it now, but i have it hidden away till july and vrt should be 4,500 then. If i was to buy that particular model new here it would cost 43,000. Not available here though going by the volvo.ie website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

E92 wrote: »
    Remember only VRT is going down and road tax will be the same as any other car of the same age that's already here.

Pardon ???

Is this new???

Hi E92, i hav just read another thread saying that all newly registered cars will pay the new tax rates in july , including second hand imports, have you heard differently ?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

testicle wrote: »
    Pardon ???

Is this new???

There was a story in the Times motoring section on Wednesday that they were looking into it .AFAIK no decsion has been made yet on it.The way i read it it was the reporter who was saying it will change.

How they can keep changing their minds is beyond me .

andyeire wrote: »
    There was a story in the Times motoring section on Wednesday that they were looking into it .AFAIK no decsion has been made yet on it.The way i read it it was the reporter who was saying it will change.

How they can keep changing their minds is beyond me .

I think mr gormley did'nt look into this in detail from day one and now realises that there are going to be lots of problems, so expect many changes i'd reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

waffler wrote: »
    I think mr gormley did'nt look into this in detail from day one and now realises that there are going to be lots of problems, so expect many changes i'd reckon

If Gormley & co were anyway serious about lowing Co2 emmissions they would have made it so that anyone with a low emmissions car, no matter what year it is put on the new system. Instead we have this farce of a half arsed two tier system where the goal posts or rules are changed on a daily basis.

Looks to me like someone in revenue did the maths and worked out that most people would start importing larger diesel engined cars to avail of the cheaper motor tax than a similar Irish car on the current system. There could be alot of revenue from motor tax alone lost there plus maybe a bit of presure was put on them from the likes of the SIMI, etc who would stand to loose a fortune in unsold used cars if most people started importing more and more. Conspiracy theory maybe but something stinks from this latest about turn anyway imo.

I myself was looking at importing a >2.0 litre diesel car next year as I would have saved about €300 a year in motor tax alone but this latest moving of the goal posts has thrown a spaner in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

bazz26 wrote: »
    If Gormley & co were anyway serious about lowing Co2 emmissions they would have made it so that anyone with a low emmissions car, no matter what year it is put on the new system. Instead we have this farce of a half arsed two tier system where the goal posts or rules are changed on a daily basis.

Looks to me like someone in revenue did the maths and worked out that most people would start importing larger diesel engined cars to avail of the cheaper motor tax than a similar Irish car on the current system. There could be alot of revenue from motor tax alone lost there plus maybe a bit of presure was put on them from the likes of the SIMI, etc who would stand to loose a fortune in unsold used cars if most people started importing more and more. Conspiracy theory maybe but something stinks from this latest about turn anyway imo.

I myself was looking at importing a >2.0 litre diesel car next year as I would have saved about €300 a year in motor tax alone but this latest moving of the goal posts has thrown a spaner in the works.

+1

As if we weren't confused enough already. Also I suspect that the SIMI didn't want a heap of cheap to buy and cheap to tax <2L 2nd hand diesels flooding the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

When did this news about the road tax come out (for imported 2nd hand cars)?

I was under the assumption that any car registered (new or imported 2nd hand) after 1st of July would fall under the new road tax rules??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I know from a government point of view it is in their interet to deter the likes of us spending our money outside the country, leakage from the Irish economy. But I woudl still feel hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Apparently they are only changing VRT on imports(ALL imports),except when your import pollutes more than 225 g/km of CO2 and you will pay €2k worth of road tax(even if a car of the same age already here is taxed on engine size).

Only new cars with a 08 plate registered before July get the choice of road tax on emissions/road tax on engine size, whichever is the lower.

ALL new cars registered after July and ALL 08 reg(and newer) imports will be road taxed on emissions.

It was discussed in the main VRT sticky about a week ago(go to the last few pages of it).

Though there is meant to be a definate anouncement about it later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

E92 wrote: »
    Apparently they are only changing VRT on imports(ALL imports),except when your import pollutes more than 225 g/km of CO2 and you will pay €2k worth of road tax(even if a car of the same age already here is taxed on engine size).

Only new cars with a 08 plate registered before July get the choice of road tax on emissions/road tax on engine size, whichever is the lower.

ALL new cars registered after July and ALL 08 reg(and newer) imports will be road taxed on emissions.

It was discussed in the main VRT sticky about a week ago(go to the last few pages of it).

Though there is meant to be a definate anouncement about it later today.

Thats just f'*@#g unbelievable :mad:

So essentially if your importing a diesel they are trying to prevent you form making road tax savings ..... but if you are importing an RX-8 they will sting you with €2000 tax as oppossed to 1.8cc tax ??????

Please tell me thats not the case????

I think we'll have to see what comes out of todays announcement, but its looking that way, pure bull**** alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

does anyone have any news on this?

Is my post above correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I wanted to bring in a diesel car with a 1.8 - 2.0 litre engine capacity and now I'm not sure. What a joke. Why can't they make up their minds about this?

Advertisement